I have a quick question for the youmail users out there. For some callers we get the name recognition and for others we get nothing. Is there a name list that will show you what names the voicemail will say?
    06-29-08 12:45 PM
    I don't know about a name list. But most names (for my contacts) are said. Names you'd find in a baby name book are probably going to be okay. Although, my daughter's name is Shanon (shannon) and it won't recognize that spelling so it doesn't say her name. She was bummed out, so I changed the spelling on Youmail so it would say her name.

But out of all my contacts there are about 3 that aren't said.
    06-29-08 12:48 PM
    I don't know about a name list. But most names (for my contacts) are said. Names you'd find in a baby name book are probably going to be okay. Although, my daughter's name is Shanon (shannon) and it won't recognize that spelling so it doesn't say her name. She was bummed out, so I changed the spelling on Youmail so it would say her name.

But out of all my contacts there are about 3 that aren't said.
    hmmm, how can you change the settings? Thanks
    06-29-08 01:08 PM
    They have to be in your address book first, right? I think that's where my problem has been. But I have too many contacts to enter and they do't have an import tool yet, so I just recorded my own greeting until they add that feature.
    06-29-08 01:15 PM
    But I have too many contacts to enter and they do't have an import tool yet
    anyway we can like submit an idea to them... a import tool would be awesome, I don't want to enter 400 contacts manually
    06-29-08 01:21 PM
    For me, it recognizes people who are not even in my address book.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-08 01:31 PM
    I dont why they wouldnt recognize a name like Greg spelled (Greg). Do I have to add them as a contact on youmail?
    06-29-08 06:42 PM
    I dont why they wouldnt recognize a name like Greg spelled (Greg). Do I have to add them as a contact on youmail?
    Yes. There is no way for youmail to know someone's name if you don't have them as a youmail contact. You must add them on the website. I think I saw an "upcoming feature" for an address book importer, but it sounds like that's been in the works for a long time.
    06-29-08 07:47 PM
    Yes. There is no way for youmail to know someone's name if you don't have them as a youmail contact. You must add them on the website. I think I saw an "upcoming feature" for an address book importer, but it sounds like that's been in the works for a long time.
    But that can be true because I dont have any contacts saved to you mail and it recognizes some not the others.
    06-29-08 07:49 PM
    I think it also uses caller I'd info if it can't find the number in your address book.

06-29-08 08:04 PM
    so you're saying that if it doesn't recognize a name, that I can go in and add a number and name for someone and it will say it?

I think it also uses caller I'd info if it can't find the number in your address book.
    That's what I thought also
    06-29-08 10:53 PM
    I can also confirm that is uses caller ID info. I only have one name stored in my youmail address book. However, it will pick up the caller ID info from an incoming call. It has nothing to do with your bb's address book. One limitation is that it will not recognize a business name. It just announces "Hello, Justin is ..."(whatever that lady says). I have also found that if you have another phone forwarded to your phone with youmail, it will not go to voicemail. The caller just gets a *dong* "Please enter the phone number associated with this number" or something like that. Just like calling the Voice mailbox and checking from a regular phone.

Oh and you can now download the .mp3 file from youmail directly to your bb with the new 2.5 BIS upgrade.
    06-30-08 06:09 AM
    so you're saying that if it doesn't recognize a name, that I can go in and add a number and name for someone and it will say it?

That's what I thought also
    Let me say this I went to the website and entered the name correctly. What was happening is that whatever their caller ID was or the way they set their device up upon purchasing was the way it showed in the first name field, and it wouldnt recofnize it.
    06-30-08 07:59 AM
    Let me say this I went to the website and entered the name correctly. What was happening is that whatever their caller ID was or the way they set their device up upon purchasing was the way it showed in the first name field, and it wouldnt recofnize it.
    o alright, I got you... I also set mine up so blocked or unavailble #'s can't leave messages
    06-30-08 09:00 AM
    I have been using youmail for 5 months now and love it, I also use it with berrycode, so I can get an idea of where the call is coming from but anyway if it goes to voice mail or not and is a land line phone, it will display the name of the caller in the sms box as a missed call, even if you don't have the name saved in you phone book. I have to setup blocked or unknown callers can't leave a message!! Works great

06-30-08 11:34 AM
    I have been using youmail for 5 months now and love it, I also use it with berrycode, so I can get an idea of where the call is coming from but anyway if it goes to voice mail or not and is a land line phone, it will display the name of the caller in the sms box as a missed call, even if you don't have the name saved in you phone book. I have to setup blocked or unknown callers can't leave a message!! Works great

hmm that berrycode sounds cool, where can I get it from?

I always use the unknown callers and blocked callers feature, I love it!
    06-30-08 01:08 PM
    nvm... got it... thanks =D
    06-30-08 01:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD