Just like many others have experienced, my trackball click began to fail earlier in the week. I proceeded to use the "enter" key rather than the trackball click. Then today, the keyboard stopped completely. The programable keys on the sides no longer work and the mute button is also non-functional.

Phone was not dropped and has never been wet.

An AT&T rep walked me through the device wipe and restore on desktop manager or whatever the software is called. Tomorrow I think I'll try the reset detailed in Reed McLay's "how-do-i-recover-dead-blackberry" thread, but I don't hold a lot of hope. The phone is about 6 months out of warranty coverage.

Has anyone found a solution to this issue yet? Anyone have any advice? How much do repairs cost? Should I just start looking for a new phone? (I'm eligible for an upgrade)

Edit: I can't post the link to the thread but
    06-24-09 09:24 PM
    Time to go Bold.

Even if the phone has never been "wet", high humidity will also have the same effects, it just takes longer for the problems to develop. Like taking your BB in the bathroom when you shower, etc.
    06-24-09 09:31 PM
    The last time we had a day of "full sunshine" IE: not partly cloudy or strait raining was in may. it has rained pretty much everyday for the last couple weeks. Any chance this could have caused it?

Can I "dry" it out somehow?
    06-24-09 10:11 PM
    You can try the uncooked rice thing. Take the battery out, bury both in a ziploc bag of uncooked rice, seal the bag and leave in a day or so. The rice will absorb the moisture out of your BB.
    06-24-09 10:43 PM
    The last time we had a day of "full sunshine" IE: not partly cloudy or strait raining was in may. it has rained pretty much everyday for the last couple weeks. Any chance this could have caused it?

Can I "dry" it out somehow?
    We will take some of that rain here. Heat index of 116 everyday with not rain. High humidity can cause this issue over time, but I believe that cause to be rare.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-09 11:21 PM
    I have one of these phones sitting under my couch. Its the verizon 8330, friend gave me it for spare parts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-09 11:40 PM

Even if the phone has never been "wet", high humidity will also have the same effects, it just takes longer for the problems to develop. Like taking your BB in the bathroom when you shower, etc.
    Absolutely true. I lost a weeks old 8330 by having it in my jeans pocket for 2 hours while working up a very mild sweat. Some are unfortunately much more sensitive than others. That was a brand new phone, since then I've had a refurb for several months and had it exposed to WAY worse condidtions in the humidity capital of the world (Iowa) and this one's been flawless. Go figure. I'm crossing my fingers that the trackPAD on the 8520 will make these posts go away.
    06-25-09 12:09 AM
    Thanks for the advice. I suppose the rice trick couldn't hurt.

Sadly, if this doesn't work, I may turn to the dark side. Mainly because of this... maclife.com/article/iphone/netters_anatomy_flashcards

Edit: Flame suit on.
    Last edited by Johnniewalker1130; 06-25-09 at 03:59 PM.
    06-25-09 02:59 PM
    Two days in the rice and nothing. anything else I should try before I scrap the phone?
    06-27-09 11:02 AM
    how clean are your hands when using your BB? I find my friends who never wash their hands and always eat greasy food have more issues with trackballs.
    06-27-09 11:04 AM
    It's not just the trackball, it's every single button the the device. Including, the mute, volume, and programmable keys.
    06-30-09 02:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD