Hi all, I've been playing with my new crackberry all week and am trying to figure out what drains the battery the most and what I should disable to improve battery life.

I installed Yahoo Messenger the first day I had my new BB and have pretty much left it running and connected on my BB the whole time. I presume this runs down the battery correct? I am guessing that it has to maintain a connection with the internet at all times in order to run the program in the background. Would this be a significant drain on the battery? As it stands, my battery life lasts about 2/3 of a day (24 hours) before I have to recharge. Of course being a new BB owner, I'm on the thing a TON!

Just wondering if I should disconnect Yahoo IM to improve the battery life and only connect to Yahoo when I actually want to chat.
    11-14-08 08:30 AM
    I only sign into my things when I want to use it, I dont keep em running..

Also, make sure you are closing things properly.. menu>close.. not the back key (escape key) it just leaves them running in the background.
    11-14-08 08:32 AM
    Yes, log in when you want to talk to people, don't leave it online. This was draining my memory when i always left Yahoo IM open...
    11-14-08 08:32 AM
    Is there a way to see what's active on your BB? Kind of like the equivalent of "Task Manager" on Windows where you can see the active processes and what's running in the background?
    11-14-08 08:51 AM
    Hold the ALT key and press the escape key, there are 5 that will always be there

Phone, messages, homescreen, BBM and browser, just make sure whenever you use the browser, you close it properly.

I also have things running in there that help with the functionality of my device, those I dont worry about..

But yeh, thats how you check whats running.
    11-14-08 08:57 AM
    good to know. I had about 10 things running in the background that I thought had been properly closed.
    11-14-08 09:11 AM
    BTW Chad, welcome to the CB family. Everyone is very helpful here. You'll learn more about your phone than you ever thought you could know!
    11-14-08 10:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD