i was wondering if anyone knew of the WPA solution for the curve. The specific problem i am talking about is the manually add a WPA secured network. The problem i run into is that the wireless router at work is not broadcasting its SSID, therefore i have to manually add the network. However when you go to the manually add there is no WPA in the list. i read that if you temporarily broadcast the signal then you will pick up and no longer have to add it. However i cant do that here since i'm a at work. any suggestions???
    11-01-07 10:15 AM
    From your post I'm not sure about your particulars but I had this problem when I set up my 8320. There isn't any WPA setup on the device itself. I discovered that with the T-Mobile version of the Linksys router they give you there is a little button that you push and it creates and sends out the WPA settings to your device. I don't know if you have that router or if it will work for you but I thought I would post it just in case. You will find the directions for this in the online docs. You might show it to your IT guy.
    11-01-07 10:47 AM
    Hi! I'm an IT guy by default at our company I also hide our SSID altogether with MAC filtering.
    To set your UMA up, you need to do the followings.
    1. Go to Manage WiFi and create a new network manually.
    2. Get the SSID name from your IT guy so that you can type it in.
    3. Hit Menu button when it is asked for security set up. Usually for WPA, you need to choose PSK or Pre-Shared Key. Check with your IT guy what type of security code he uses
    4. Then you will be prompted to put the encryption. You need this from your IT guy.
    5. Save and you should be good to go.
    Special note: If your IT guy also use MAC filtering, you need to give you device MAC address so that he can register it to the network.
    I hope that you have a great relationship with your IT guy
    Good Luck.
    11-01-07 11:53 AM
    Hi! I'm an IT guy by default at our company I also hide our SSID altogether with MAC filtering.
    You do know that not broadcasting your SSID and Mac filtering doesn't do much if anything as far as wireless security goes right? We were bypassing that stuff a couple years ago. When I do pen tests and see that on the scope of the job, my team normally starts laughing.
    11-01-07 12:02 PM
    Audit:

Could someone who understands wireless security create an FAQ. I followed the Linksys docs and they recommend turning off SSID broadcast and using mac address filtering. Thanks.
    11-01-07 12:18 PM
    I could write one up but it wouldn't apply for the BB's because of the security that's on BB's by default. Take a look at the FAQ's at NetStumbler.org Forums and you'll find plenty of info on wireless security over there. I'm a super moderator on those forums and also do a LOT of work in the wireless industry, including writing books.
    11-01-07 12:33 PM
    Thanks for the link.
    11-01-07 01:44 PM
    You do know that not broadcasting your SSID and Mac filtering doesn't do much if anything as far as wireless security goes right? We were bypassing that stuff a couple years ago. When I do pen tests and see that on the scope of the job, my team normally starts laughing.

Thanks and I understand. There is no such absolute security protection for the internet these day.
    Actually, after the set up, I hacked my own wireless system on the same day But there are a few more layers that I set as well as set up warning for any intrusion attempt.
    This is not my top priority so I will let it flies by for now.
    11-01-07 01:55 PM
    I was having the same prob. I should be cooking gumbo but anyway.. My new Dlink router has a button on the side I hit it then set my wifi to scan and bam boom it sees my WPA2 encryption. Im using a DLink:Model DIR 628. The best 80.00 money I've spent in a while..Yippie
    11-27-08 12:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD