I'm a newbie - lost my Palm Treo and am new to BB. I love it so far. But - I'm missing my old word completion program...is there such a thing for BlackBerry?

I downloaded Readywords and it's not what I want at all. Now I'm having a hard time getting rid of it. I deleted it under Applictions, but when I put the menu button, it's still an option along w/ delete, etc etc.
    04-08-08 03:01 PM
    When you delete an app you need to reset your phone for the app to be fully removed (do a battery pull or alt-ctrl(shift aA)-del).

What is word completion? Is that like that text recognition program...I think it's called t9 or something like that in the dummy phones. Is that it? I think the Pearl has this option as it doesn't have a full QWERTY board...but I can't recall seeing it on the curve.

BTW, welcome
    Last edited by JoJo78; 04-08-08 at 03:46 PM.
    04-08-08 03:41 PM
    If it doesn't disappear after the reset you might have to remove it through DM.
    04-08-08 03:52 PM
    DM = desktop manager
    04-08-08 04:13 PM
    When you go into applications, hit menu then modules. Look for the application listed there and delete it from there too. Then reboot of course.
    04-08-08 04:15 PM
    Thanks! I got the old gone. I believe it is a text rec. program - I don't even know if it exists for Curve, but I would love if it did!
    For instance, my son's name Reid - I could just start typing Reid and I would have a choice of Reid-Hair Cut, Reid-swimming, etc etc....
    04-08-08 04:40 PM
    yeah that's T9.. and i personally haven't seen anything of the sort for the curve. However there is a way to shorten your typing by setting values to certain letter combinations under options---> autotext.

For example: IDK.. becomes I don't know automatically as you type it in

hope that helps
    04-08-08 07:26 PM
    i dont think there would be any, since the curve has QWERTY keyboard
    04-08-08 08:38 PM
    Welcome Newbie!!!

The best thing to do is create AutoText
    04-08-08 08:49 PM
    A search brought up this thread. Autotext though nice for shortcuts doesn't work nearly as well as word completion that comes standard on PPC and via 3rd Party SW on Palm devices that also have QWERTY keyboards. Given how superior BBs are for email, it surprised me that this feature was not included.

Does anyone know if this requirement is being worked on for QWERTY devices? I really need it for my 8830.
    04-18-08 07:33 PM
    Welcome...

I believe this feature is on windows mobile devices... Although you have autotext, it's not the same. That feature is cool..

Let's say,
    I type...

Mom, where are you?
    Mom, how are you?
    Mom, good and you?

When I start typing Mom, it will show the first option, then depending on if I hit "h" or "g" it would switch to the other two and all I'd have to hit is the space bar or select it.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this...

04-18-08 08:34 PM
    Welcome and enjoy.
    04-18-08 08:36 PM
    Thank you for the welcome. I am very happy to be a Blackberry user. As you all know, it does mail/calendaring and Intranet applications better than any other handheld. You can get these to work on PPCs and Palms but they are not as reliable and it takes a lot of work and technical savvy. Blackberry devices work right out of the box.

Welcome...
    Correct me if I'm wrong on this...
    You are very close but it doesn't phrases like that out of the box.

First, Autotext on the Blackberry is analogous to "AutoCorrect" that is built-in the PPC.

Word completion is different and you don't have to memorize anything. On PPCs, you get suggested words as you type. Over time, the suggested words change depending on your own text habits. For example, if you enter "Bl" you may get

Black
    Blue
    Bloom
    Blueberry

You either tap on or move the cursor to the desired option and click. Otherwise, you can keep adding letters and the presented list will change.

Overtime, single words accumulate in the work completion list as a result of individual usage. If you habitually enter "Blackberry", you will see a different list when you enter "Bl":

Blackberry
    Black
    Blue
    Blooming

Even misspelled words and acronyms are automatically added to your word completion list. I often type "ooooookay" so that always pops up when I enter "o". Fortunately, there are free utilities available to modify the completion list. You can delete erroneous words and add multiple words you want to see like "Thank you" or "messaging.sprintpcs.com".

Hope this explains it. Please PM me if someone has word completion beta code they want tested. In the meanwhile, I'll use Readywords since it is like the PPC's "taptext" application which I loved.
    04-18-08 09:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD