I don't know if anyone has tried this on a Curve but I did. I had a Storm and on the Storm the wireless upgrade option isn't available out of the box. You have to go into Options/Advanced Options/Service Book and find the service book called "Provisioning [OTASL]" and delete and undelete it three or four times then back all the way out to the home screen then go back to Options/Advanced Options and the Wireless Upgrade option will be there and it will stay even after a battery pull.

The problem is that I'm not sure if it actually does anything. When you go to Wireless Upgrade on the Storm it shows your current OS at the top of the screen and it will download and install an update I watched one do it. When you go to Wireless Upgrade on the Curve it doesn't show your current OS at the top of the screen and I've never seen a Curve download and install an update via OTA.

Anyone know if this actually works on a Curve?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by blackngray70; 12-06-08 at 01:08 PM.
    12-06-08 02:09 AM
    What do you mean by wireless upgrade? Is that for "Over The Air" stuff? Very curious. I am offshore working right now, and my Storm was shipped to the house but will get it on the Dec 13 when I get home, just takin notes on all of this good information!
    12-06-08 02:20 AM
    Yes you can upgrade the OS on the Storm via OTA.

12-06-08 02:22 AM
    Thank You.
    12-06-08 02:40 AM
    Are you talking about upgrading the device operating system? If so I am not sure I want to be able to do that OTA. With the OS upgrade being 75-100mb it would take quite some time to do it OTA. If you are talking about upgrading other programs on the phone OTA that can be done on the Curve already.
    12-06-08 07:39 AM
    I have been wondering this same thing since having the Storm for a couple weeks, returning it and getting the Curve. When I got my Curve there was an update available but I did it through the DM.
    12-06-08 08:43 AM
    Actually, I don't even have that Service Book....
    12-06-08 08:47 AM
    i was wondering the same thing. i'd like to be able to do OTS OS upgrades on my Curve!

From my 8330...
    12-06-08 09:30 AM
    i was wondering the same thing. i'd like to be able to do OTS OS upgrades on my Curve!

From my 8330...
    Hmmm, I wonder why I don't have it? Maybe because I upgraded through the DM?
    12-06-08 09:41 AM
    Isn't currently available for the Curve.
    12-06-08 11:12 AM
    Are you talking about upgrading the device operating system? If so I am not sure I want to be able to do that OTA. With the OS upgrade being 75-100mb it would take quite some time to do it OTA. If you are talking about upgrading other programs on the phone OTA that can be done on the Curve already.
    Yeah, I'm talking about the operating system being downloaded and installed via OTA and you're right it would take up to two hours or more.
    12-06-08 11:37 AM
    Hmmm, I wonder why I don't have it? Maybe because I upgraded through the DM?
    no, i upgraded to 4.5 via DM. i did just re add BB Maps using the new 4.7 DM...maybe it added that feature.

i still don't see a wireless upgrade option however.
    12-06-08 11:48 AM
    I upgraded through DM as well, go to Options/Advanced Options/Service Book and look for "Provisioning [OTASL] and delete and undelete it three or four times then back all the way out to the Home Screen and then go back to Options/Advanced Options and the Wireless Upgrade Option should be there. If the "Provisioning [OTASL]" service book isn't there then try resending your service books first.

Last edited by blackngray70; 12-06-08 at 01:15 PM.
    12-06-08 01:08 PM
    pretty neat! does it disappear after a battery pull? i thought i read on here that after the 4.5 OS upgrade that some 8330s were showing that option but that it disappeared after a reset.

care to test?

i'm not messing with mine! i have a new bricking fear!
    12-06-08 02:47 PM
    My brother's 8330 and my 8130 have this option after upgrading to the 4.5 OS
    12-06-08 03:26 PM
    It doesn't disappear after a battery pull if you do what I posted.

You are right about it disappearing after a battery pull but that is when you first install the OS. If you do what I suggested above it will stay even after a battery pull.

12-06-08 04:04 PM
    Yep, you are correct. i just did all of the above. i have wireless upgrade option. Now, will it work for the next OS upgrade...?

Last edited by chrisy520; 01-11-09 at 05:58 AM.
    12-06-08 04:13 PM
    Yep, you are correct. i just did all of the above. i have wireless upgrade option. Now, will it work for the next OS upgrade...?

I don't know, I'm running the latest OS so even if it does work it's going to say "no updates available" and somebody posted that this option wasn't available on the Curve. I don't understand why the option is in the OS if you can't use it.
    12-06-08 04:23 PM
    Are service books device specific? Or carrier wide?

12-06-08 04:32 PM
    ok im running os 4.5 and i dont have this "Provisioning [OTASL]"

btw if your doing ota upgrades, how will you backup your device?
    03-15-09 10:18 PM
    ok im running os 4.5 and i dont have this "Provisioning [OTASL]"

btw if your doing ota upgrades, how will you backup your device?
    Did not say this will emlinate the need for you computer or DM, back up the device prior to starting the OTA upgrade. Also upgrades are not avail for 4.5 they started this with the Storm and that runs 4.7
    03-15-09 10:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD