I was reading a similar thread in the 85xx forums and those users were concerned about getting OS 6.0. A member said that the 83xx users probably should be worried we aren't getting it. Is that true? I sure hope not...
    04-20-10 11:54 PM
    I'm going to say no. I would even guess to say the 9000 Bold users won't get it. I think it may have something to do with the trackpad technology, but then again i could be totally wrong
    04-20-10 11:55 PM
    I'm going to say no. I would even guess to say the 9000 Bold users won't get it. I think it may have something to do with the trackpad technology, but then again i could be totally wrong
    Hmmm interesting. What have you heard about the trackpad technology? Did you hear somewhere that they're dumping us trackball people?
    04-20-10 11:58 PM
    Hmmm interesting. What have you heard about the trackpad technology? Did you hear somewhere that they're dumping us trackball people?
    Ok i just read on another thread that one of the main reasons we as in 9000 and before won't recieve the 6.0 update is due to the memory on our devices we don't have enough. The Tour probably also won't be getting the 6.0 update either (the original Tour)
    04-21-10 12:04 AM
    Ok i just read on another thread that one of the main reasons we as in 9000 and before won't recieve the 6.0 update is due to the memory on our devices we don't have enough. The Tour probably also won't be getting the 6.0 update either (the original Tour)
    Dang, that sucks. I figured that would be a major issue. Wasn't that an issue with 5.0 though (I'm asking cause I really I don't know)? Hopefully, RIM will be gracious and figure out a way to cram it on there
    04-21-10 12:08 AM
    Dang, that sucks. I figured that would be a major issue. Wasn't that an issue with 5.0 though (I'm asking cause I really I don't know)? Hopefully, RIM will be gracious and figure out a way to cram it on there
    Yea getting 5.0 on some of these Blackberry's was a stretch, and some of us still don't have official updates from our carriers. So the 6.0 talk is a bit depressing since I'm 100% positive we won't get this update soon after say the 9700 platform or Storm 2 recieves it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-10 12:13 AM
    Probably not.
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 04-22-10 at 08:43 AM.
    04-21-10 01:01 AM
    I'm going to agree with Blanco on this one. I doubt anything earlier than the 9700 and the 9550 will get OS 6. I foresee the lack of memory to be the big deterrent here as well.

However, while there are screenshots, I do not believe we will be seeing this for awhile. RIM tends to drag their feet and I would believe they would try to phase out OS 5...and since some devices are just getting on board, I do not think you will see it until at earliest late this year as many of the 83XX, 8900, 9000, 95XX users getting ready for a new phone.
    04-21-10 01:04 AM
    Imho, we are blackberry 83xx (not 8330 user) wouldn't have this upgrade, since we already been ditch by rim's, sadly. We are stuck in 4.5 os, and its as far as we can get lol!! Everyone said that's its because the app memory limitation. But can sumthin be done here? There's still a lot 83xx user out there, and we very hoping for some good updates for our phones. Better compability, or better browser, or perhaps better UI, this is the part I hate about rim they always forget about their own user. Their old loyal user that love the curve or oldest device. For me the curve 8310 is still the best blackberry feels fits in my arm, look quite fashionable, good GPS transmitter. And very2 bad*ss phone. Never let me down. I have the storm and the gemini but I always get back to my old curve for my daily usage. Love my curve!!

04-21-10 01:09 AM
    How could the Storm 2 be able to run 6.0 but the original Tour not be able to run it, since they both have 256 MB of flash memory?

If it's strictly a memory issue, and the Storm 2 can run 6.0, then the Tour 9630 should be able to as well.

I'm just thinking out loud here.

04-21-10 01:21 AM
    How could the Storm 2 be able to run 6.0 but the original Tour not be able to run it, since they both have 256 MB of flash memory?

If it's strictly a memory issue, and the Storm 2 can run 6.0, then the Tour 9630 should be able to as well.

I'm just thinking out loud here.

Because it's not's strictly a memory issue. Processor, OpenGL could be a factor (no one knows), simple memory management, etc are all things the Storm2 does much better than the 9630, and the 9700 does better than the Storm2, etc. Also Tour = EOL, Storm2 = Nowhere near EOL yet. (at least until December..)
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 04-21-10 at 01:46 AM.
    04-21-10 01:43 AM
    Hmm if the processor is one of the factor sure its really make sense, since new device came with a newer processor can't argue with that, for one thing I know the good the UI gets the more proses will take. So yup bigger processor will do.

04-21-10 01:48 AM
    Because it's not's strictly a memory issue. Processor, OpenGL could be a factor (no one knows), simple memory management, etc are all things the Storm2 does much better than the 9630, and the 9700 does better than the Storm2, etc, etc.
    Ahh, I see. I sure hope that OpenGL on the device is an option and not a requirement for OS 6

What are the processor speeds of the 9630 and the 9550, anybody know?

04-21-10 01:49 AM
    i doubt it.
    the 83xx series is probably going to be un stable with the new os. whenever they release it..
    04-21-10 11:49 AM
    Oh boy, guys, go to the News & Rumours forums and read up.

Does the 9700 has OpenGL? Would RIM drop the flagship from getting this update?

Sadly, and I also own a 8310, we won't see OS 5/6 because of the 64mb memory.

The Tour, the original Curve, the Pearl, and sadly the 8900 and the 9000 are all going EOL. I think the 128bm of the 9000 might cut it for OS 6.0 but only RIM can tell. As a mod said, OS 5.0 was saw on a 8320 until RIM noticed that 64mb would not do well.

Still, making software (i.e. wasting resources) for devices that will soon be out of the production line, althou it lets down a number of users, is a bad decision for a company.
    04-21-10 11:59 AM
    Well, answering my question above, the only info I can find shows the 9550 having a 528 MHz processor. If both the 9550 and the 9630 have a 528 Mhz processor and 256 MB flash memory, then I'm guessing that if the Storm 2 can run OS 6, then so can the Tour. This would also mean that the 8530 could run it as well.

I just can't see OpenGL support being the only deciding factor, unless it is required to run the new UI.

04-21-10 12:54 PM
    Memory was really an issue with 5.0? My 9000 runs better and tends to have more memory to spare when running 5.0 vs 4.6.

If OpenGL is a limiting factor with 6.0, then the 9700 won't receive it. I'm hoping that RIM makes changes to the memory situation and allows Apps to be installed on Device Memory or even MicroSD cards to free up Application Memory for the OS and system critical apps. This would remove the limitation on app size and quality as well.
    Last edited by Tobyus; 04-22-10 at 07:49 AM.
    04-22-10 07:40 AM
    i have pretty good reason the tour will get a modified, scaled down version of
    OS 6. for one thing, RIM claims they're good at bring older devices up to date through their new software, and putting tour owners (and it seems like the tour was an extremely popular model) at ease wouldn't hurt their argument.

I also believe that this new OS isn't going to hog memory like people think it will. 256 MB should be enough to run it, or at least run it without the 'today' theme. Plus, i think RIM wants Tour owners to have the new browser so people like me don't jump ship and just buy an iphone HD in 6 months.
    04-27-10 08:50 AM
    I think it would help if we first got OS 5. Unless you want to try out the boost version, which I do not.
    04-27-10 09:35 AM
    Yeah, the Tour is out as far as 6.0 goes and the Curve even more so. Listing released this am from WES.
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 04-27-10 at 09:48 AM.
    04-27-10 09:44 AM
    Definitely we are not gonna get 6....

The official OS 5.0.0438 for our 8330 is a total garbage, full of bugs and unstable.... If it weren't for the hybrids most of us will still be using 4.5

But definitely OS 6 is a necessary update for RIM... so hold on with your 8330 and wait for a built in OS 6 BlackBerry
    04-27-10 10:49 PM
    I doubt very seriously any of the 83xx Curves will see OS 6.0 because of the RAM. I have 5.0 on my Curve 8330 and it's a very tight fit; the only way to keep it running smoothly being to keep my apps to a minimum and do a battery pull every night.
    04-28-10 12:21 PM
    5.0.0.438 (CRAP) Battery issues enough made me roll back. I doubt well get 6.0. Time to upgrade hardware
    04-28-10 02:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD