I've read the how-to here on Crackberry but I just don't have any confidence of taking my trackball out and cleaning it and putting it back together.

Do Verizon stores that have techs carry replacement trackballs and will they install them for you?
    01-08-09 09:53 PM
    You can always try
    01-08-09 09:56 PM
    I say do it yourself, as long as you are careful, take your time, you will be fine. I have been trying to get Rachel to change hers to a 8900 Curve trackball but she said no.....hehe
    01-08-09 10:02 PM
    It's really a simple procedure. I wouldn't worry.

=]
    01-08-09 10:03 PM
    I am unsure I'd trust a trackball replacement to a store tech.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-09 10:23 PM
    It is really very easy. Be careful, but the pieces really arent too delicate.
    01-08-09 10:45 PM
    No. I recently had to replace my trackball. It would not respond to left/right motions. I took it to the store since it is fairly new and they told me I'd have to replace the phone. I even asked if they had any dbr phones that I cld just scavenge from and the guy was like "I cld lose my job for that..." I just ordered a new one for like 4 bucks online and my bb works like a dream again!

01-08-09 11:42 PM
    It's fairly easy. You do have to be delicate but the procedure is fairly simple. Just carefully observe what you have to do to take it out so you can put it back in.

That's what she said! Hehehehe
    01-08-09 11:49 PM
    I've read the how-to here on Crackberry but I just don't have any confidence of taking my trackball out and cleaning it and putting it back together.

Do Verizon stores that have techs carry replacement trackballs and will they install them for you?
    A couple of months ago I took my 8830 to Verizon store because I lost my trackball up/down capabilities and they took it in the back and 2 minutes later came out with my phone and a shiny white new trackball in it. Case closed.
    Yesterday I took my mothers 8830 to the same store with the same problem although her phone is out of warranty and they said they absolutely couldnt replace the trackball, that they dont even keep spare trackballs in the store. They would gladly replace the phone if it was under warranty but being that its not, im totally out of luck.
    Since replacing my trackball I have learned to remove the trackball for a color mod and have found it to be extremely easy. I ordered a trackball off ebay for my mothers phone.
    01-08-09 11:56 PM
    No. I recently had to replace my trackball. It would not respond to left/right motions. I took it to the store since it is fairly new and they told me I'd have to replace the phone. I even asked if they had any dbr phones that I cld just scavenge from and the guy was like "I cld lose my job for that..." I just ordered a new one for like 4 bucks online and my bb works like a dream again!

that's because you didn't go to a coporate store. If you'd come into one of my stores, we usually tell you the same thing simply because we dont carry those pieces and parts. But if you had brought it into a corporate store nine times out of ten they will replace it if they have the parts in stock. OP, i'd buy the piece for yourself, then take it in and have someone at the store replace it.
    01-08-09 11:58 PM
    Verizon won't even touch the phone in the store. In most cases, you don't want their store techs touching your phone anyway. Most of them don't know what they're talking about, let alone touching. I tried to have mine replaced in store because one of the rollers popped out and totally screwed up the mechanism. They said they'd have to send it out to their off site tech center. Then told me they might not even fix it and would send it to RIM, in which case I'd be responsible for any charges...blah blah blah.
    01-09-09 07:03 AM
    Replacing the trackball on a Curve is easier than replacing the faceplates on an old Nokia 3390.
    01-09-09 07:38 AM
    I had this same question. My trackball is periodically not scrolling up and down well. I took it out yesterday and cleaned a bunch of lint and crud out of it and put it back together. Seemed to work better yesterday but today same issue..just feels like your car slipping on ice...tries to go but can't (yeah, I am in upstate NY..lots of ice and snow lately)

Anyway. I called the local corporate store, which has a repair center and asked if they had an replacement trackball assemblies. I was told no. I asked if brought the phone in could a tech replace the trackball for me (thinking they didn't want to sell me a replacement). The answer was no..call the 800 number and get a replacement.

Ok, here's what doesn't make sense...a trackball assembly is what, $12? A new Curve is $500? This looks like a no brainer to me....why send me a $500 phone when a $12 part would suffice?

Also, if I go with the replacement, does the one year warranty begin again on the replacement? OR does it remain one year from the purchase of my original Curve? And yeah, fully expecting a refurb as I bought mine last May.
    01-09-09 09:30 AM
    The reason that they just send you a new (refurbished) phone is that it's simpler for them. Then they will just refurbish your phone (in their own time frame) and send it to someone else.

And your warranty will not start over.

Personally, I'd prefer to just spend a few dollars and replace it myself rather than sending it in for something like that.

One thing to be sure of when you clean the rollers is to be sure you clean the ones in the phone as well.
    01-09-09 05:53 PM
    I would try it yourself...the tech people tend to be funny about stuff like that.
    01-09-09 09:50 PM
    I went into my local Verizon store to look at a possible replacement device when my trackball stopped rolling properly (wouldn't go left). My company was going to get me a new one but was going to limit me to the Tour or Storm 2. After playing with them in the store, I wasn't crazy about either and I started to tell the sales guy about why I wanted to replace my Curve. He immediately offered to replace the trackball for me - for free. He took the phone into the back and about 2 minutes later returned with my phone complete with it's nice *clean* new trackball. Works like a charm. Five minutes. Zero cost.
    03-08-10 09:42 PM
    One night during a drunken stupor I lost my track ball. The next day i took it to a corporate store and they replaced it for free. I recently received a warranty replacement and the track ball was terrible right out of the box. I took that to the same store and same result. Replaced for free, no questions asked.
    03-09-10 03:40 AM
    +1 on free trackball replacement. I've had it done too. Went into a store and asked what could be done about a wonky trackball. Tech immediately replaced my old cruddy one with a shiny new one for free.
    03-09-10 08:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD