With so much hype about Bold and Javelin does anyone think that RIM will discontinue the curve? Or do you think they will come out with different versions?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-08 09:22 PM
    I belive so..the Javelin's the NEW curve....
    06-24-08 09:27 PM
    It will be a little while especiallly since At&t is finally releasing their version of the 8320 in July.
    06-24-08 09:29 PM
    Does anyone have a link so I can read up on the Javelin?

06-24-08 09:30 PM
    jeez lueeze

i just got the curve not too long ago

cant they hold off on hardware updates sheesh LOL
    06-24-08 09:31 PM
    jeez lueeze

i just got the curve not too long ago

cant they hold off on hardware updates sheesh LOL

The first Curve was released June 07 so its starting to get dated a little.
    06-24-08 09:32 PM
    I sure hope not. At least for awhile. With an update it will be just fine for sometime.

Well hopefully anyway.

06-24-08 09:33 PM
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! I love my 8320. I am not saying it is perfect, but it is the best berry I have had so far. More memory, better battery, GPS with WIFI, WIFI Max all would be nice additions.
    06-24-08 09:35 PM
    If they do, it won't be right away. The curve has only been out for a year.

06-24-08 09:36 PM
    If they do, it won't be right away. The curve has only been out for a year.

are you gonna switch to the Bold Jenay??? or stay w/the curve??
    06-24-08 09:39 PM
    The reviews for the updated Curves have been very positive. I have to believe the next step for RIM will be to maximize the Curve's performance through software upgrades. This will allow them to release new hardware that can compete with anything on the market. Just guessing, though.

06-24-08 09:43 PM
    Crap I love my curve!

06-24-08 09:46 PM
    I've only had mine a week. My wife surprised me with it and unlimited texting and internet. The more I play the more I love it! I'm even kind of getting a chip on my shoulder - I look at other people's phones and shake my head in pity at those without a BB. I know it's sad, but I can't help it!

06-24-08 10:02 PM
    Curve v1.0 will join PET, TRS-80, IBM PC Jr. and Apple II on historys trash heap.

Curve v2.0 (Bold) will continue to rule, 'till they find something better ...

06-24-08 10:09 PM
    I look at other people's phones and shake my head in pity at those without a BB. I know it's sad, but I can't help it!
    LOL

Oh... Just a Q eh?

06-24-08 10:14 PM
    Curve v1.0 will join PET, TRS-80, IBM PC Jr. and Apple II on historys trash heap.

Curve v2.0 (Bold) will continue to rule, 'till they find something better ...

It's like computers. They are outdated within a few months (okay, maybe not that fast). Kidding aside though, it's a safe bet that in a couple of years the Bold will be yesterday's news. Can't wait to see what they come up with next.

06-24-08 10:15 PM
    Sweet, you quoted with attributes intact. Nice WAP improvement.

06-24-08 10:22 PM
    My question is:

How many different models can RIM make efficiently? Sure, they cover the spectrum of what people could possibly want in a Berry - or a smartphone for that matter.

But at some point, the economics of producing too many models can catch up to them. Look at Apple. The iPhone had 2 models, both the same except for memory. The iPhone 2 is almost the same - two models, but with a minor appearance variation in one. The economics of production dictate that the more you make of one item, the easier it is to keep production costs down.

And RIM? 8800, 8810, 8820, 8830, four versions of Pearl, four of the Curve. Soon to be added, the Bold, the Javelin (how many models of each?), the Thunder, the 9100...

I don't see how they can do it. New models must replace old when possible. Like, the Bold replace the 8800s, the Javelin replace the Curve, the 9100 flip phone replace the Pearl.

It only makes economic sense.
    06-24-08 10:45 PM
    Jas- to me, there's no reason to switch. My curve does everything I want, so why spend the money, ya know?

06-24-08 10:51 PM
    Not for a while.
    06-24-08 10:51 PM
    in due time..just like every other phone model after a certain time.
    06-24-08 10:54 PM
    The first Curve was released June 07 so its starting to get dated a little.

a year...seriously...thats dated??
    they JUST came out with 8330
    i mean they release products so quickly
    06-24-08 10:57 PM
    nahhh i doubt it will be anytime soon. my carrier will have the 8330 Curve this week running OS 4.5 so we're not out of bounds yet.
    06-24-08 10:58 PM
    i love my curve!!!
    06-24-08 11:02 PM
    I love my Curve, I will not be switching anytime soon. I also do not care for the Javelin, which is supposed to be the upgraded version of the Curve. I don't like the look, and no 3G would definitely be a problem. I fully intend on keeping this phone until my contract is over (at the very least).
    06-24-08 11:40 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD