So pressing, or clicking on the ball to select an option (equivalent to ENTER key on the keyboard) no longer works. I could only assume now that the membrane is broken.

1) I tried taking out the ball and cleaning the insides with alcohol.
    2) I tried taking out the battery while the phone was on.
    3) I tried replacing the ball with a brand new one.
    4) I tried pressing on the membrane with the phone on without the ball (which concluded my tests).

After some more searching on the forums, I've read some people have purchased a PCB Keyboard (which can be found on eBay) but I didn't see any follow-up reply that this really fixed the problem. So I'm asking again in hopes if someone has had this experience or a situation similar to this. Or do I just need to purchase a new phone now?

TIA

Added note: It randomly started working again, but another symptom was it would double click for every single click. So, I switched phones waiting for a new keyboard pcb.
    Last edited by NCanio; 04-01-09 at 04:34 AM.
    02-23-09 12:56 AM
    (sorry, didn't turn out right)
    Last edited by NCanio; 04-01-09 at 11:21 PM.
    04-01-09 04:25 AM
    Since I can't post links yet, do a search for the author Hyperhifi. He has a post of a link to a website that will download pdf instructions on how to clean the thing underneath the trackball mechanism.
    05-17-09 02:18 PM
    I had the exact same problem and turns out its the contact points underneath the orange film, under the trackball. I found a guy who has a 'how to' on another site listing the same problem

and apparently I can't post links if im a new member so add the "www" to the following address:

audsound.net/_share/bbtb_select_fix.pdf
    05-17-09 02:21 PM
    w w w . a u d s o u n d . n e t / _ s h a r e / b b t b _ s e l e c t _ f i x . p d f
    05-17-09 02:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD