I just happened to notice this and have no idea 1. why tis is happening 2. how to stop it from happening. When I bought my Curve 8310 last week the rep copied all the contact numbers from my old SIM card to my new one for my Curve. Problem is for some odd reason all my phone numbers have a 1 like I was dialing a long distance number (which most of my numbers are local.) Kinda odd. Any ideas what's caused this and how to change it?

Sunny
    12-22-07 11:53 PM
    Why does it matter if your local calls have a 1 in front of them?
    12-23-07 01:03 AM
    i believe BBs are designed with the knowledge that many business users will also do business internationally, so the phone defaults to adding the international dialing prefixes.

for example, in the us & canada +1 is the international dialing prefix (or Interntional Direct Dialing [IDD] prefix). in most day to day american situations, one only adds the 1+(National Direct Dialing [NDD] Prefix or 'Area code') if they're dialing long distance within the same state/country.

many phones default this way (in fact, i think most t-mo branded phones do because they're originally based out of germany).

the codes for other countries are different (eg. +44 for the UK, +52 for mexico etc) though many people in the US rarely, if ever, have to call internationally, so most americans aren't familiar with them. IDD prefixes are probably more commonly known in other countries, since many countries are similar in size to american states, so they use them more often than americans, who only have to use different area codes to communicate over a comparable distance.
    Last edited by dtothep; 12-23-07 at 01:41 AM. Reason: rephrased for clarity
    12-23-07 01:38 AM
    Why does it matter if your local calls have a 1 in front of them?
    That's up to the OP, if you can't answer the question, then shut the up.
    12-23-07 01:10 PM
    If anyone knows how to change this (the auto +1 prefix add) please let me know. Thanks.
    06-25-08 02:11 PM
    Hit your green dial button, then menu/options/SmartDialing , change Use "1" for National Dialing to "no".
    06-25-08 02:14 PM
    WOW! What an A$$hole. No reason to be rude in here.
    06-25-08 02:40 PM
    thanks PJ! I knew it must be a setting somewhere, but I was spinning trying to find it! Presto! All fixed now!
    07-08-08 11:00 AM
    I have all my phone numbers in my address book saved with a "+1" in front (or whatever the respective country code is for my international contacts). This way I don't have to worry about manually entering country codes, and I can dial US numbers from abroad without further editing. I recommend this to anybody who travels outside their home country frequently.
    07-08-08 01:13 PM
    In addition many cities in the US require the 1- for local calls as well. Here in NYC, you need to dial 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx for a local call.
    07-08-08 01:25 PM

DEFINITELY NEEDS TO BE VOTED OFF THE ISLAND (can we put out his torch?)
    07-08-08 01:36 PM
    I think everyone has the right to have their personal stuff in their BB arranged just the way they like it. I never go international, or call international, so all my numbers are xxx-xxx-xxxx.

And, no, we can't put out torches; that's up to the moderators!
    07-08-08 01:46 PM
    This is just the country code and doesn't mean anything. I am living switzerland (+41) doing business with germany (+49) and austria (+43). We are used to that in europe.

But as european I have to ask myself why the u.s. Have country code +1. Does that mean you guys are number one....and if it is so, is swiss better than austria and germany....questions, questions, questions ;-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-08 02:16 PM
    This is just the country code and doesn't mean anything. I am living switzerland (+41) doing business with germany (+49) and austria (+43). We are used to that in europe.

But as european I have to ask myself why the u.s. Have country code +1. Does that mean you guys are number one....and if it is so, is swiss better than austria and germany....questions, questions, questions ;-)
    Good question; I just looked up the Country Codes (International Dialing Codes), and Canada also has +1. Russia is +7, and Japan is +81. Someone, somewhere, has an agenda...
    07-08-08 02:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD