My company bought a BES lisence for my 8310 so I would be able to get my work email sent to my phone. Here's the thing, ATT wants an additional $15 a month for it. I asked them what is the difference between BIS and BES and the rep told me its only the work email to your phone. If it doesn't offer me anything else why do it? I have everyone sending emails to my gmail account anyways. Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-09 11:07 AM
    I have everyone sending emails to my gmail account anyways. Thanks

I think you answered it yourself. If everyone means people from work then why set yourself up so that you can not download thing that you would like to have on your own phone!
    01-13-09 11:24 AM
    Oh, your rep is SO wrong! :-) I'm on BES and love it.

BES completely integrates your company's desktop email/scheduling system (Microsoft Exchange/Outlook, Lotus Notes, etc.) with your handheld. This is all done over-the-air, no need to sync with your desktop -- Email, contacts, calendar, notes, tasks, all pushed seamlessly in both directions. Changes made on your handheld are almost instantly replicated on desktop and vice versa. All your email folders are replicated on the handheld and changes are pushed bidirectionally.

And you can create your BIS accounts on your BlackBerry as well.

Be aware, though, that once you commit to BES, you lose all expectations of privacy. A BES admin can enable/disable any feature on the phone, monitor all events such as emails/texts/phone logs, and can control every aspect of your device's operation. Whether the admin actually does any of that is up to your company's policy but the admin does have the capability. My company has a very open IT policy for our BlackBerrys but other companies are much more restrictive.

Hope this helps you with your decision! There are several BES admins on this forum and they will be able to answer any tech questions you might have.

01-13-09 11:26 AM
    jbeachy is correct. BES is great for wireless sync of calendar, contacts, and mail. DO NOT connect your personal device if you expect any level of privacy since the BES admin can see all traffic from your phone.

01-13-09 01:08 PM
    I am a Newbie - Just got my 1st BB on April 19th am already an addict. Anyway, Quick Question Concerning the BES.

My work has a BES, and said I needed a CAL license in order to get my work email on my phone (which I own outright). Do I also need to purchase the monthly BES service from sprint in addition to the CAL license?
    04-22-09 10:55 AM
    I am a Newbie - Just got my 1st BB on April 19th am already an addict. Anyway, Quick Question Concerning the BES.

My work has a BES, and said I needed a CAL license in order to get my work email on my phone (which I own outright). Do I also need to purchase the monthly BES service from sprint in addition to the CAL license?
    CAL is only needed for software clients connections... Does your work e-mail offer an imap/pop3 option... try sprint.blackberry.com and try inputting your e-mail address and password and see if it works.. you never know..
    Does your work offer webbased outlook client connection?
    04-22-09 11:00 AM
    I skipped BES and have my work email sent by POP to my phone. Slight delay but it works and I don't pay the additional BES fee to verizon
    04-22-09 12:21 PM
    One more plus for BES is GAL lookups. Without having everyone in the company in your contacts, you can look up any person in the company's Global Address Book if your company uses Exchange. I can find anyone out of the 55K people in my company and get their email, phone, or any other published information.
    04-22-09 12:35 PM
    My wife is on BIS, I am on BES. I would miss the Exchange calendar functioning with BIS but that is about it.
    04-22-09 12:53 PM
    Like everyone alreay said, the BES has no privacy at all! But the email shows up FAST and you can file emails in your outlook folders. I use my phone for personal use and business, so I ask myself this all the time.
    I don't really understand why your company won't pay for your CAL. They are already making you pay the extra money so you are capable of connecting to the BES.
    04-22-09 02:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD