Why would anyone pay the phone companies every month to be able to tether their blackberrys to the computer for internet access. I know it is $15 or $30 a month for verizon. But you can get MobiShark for a one time price of $50 and it does the same thing. What am I missing, that you can not do with this software?
    07-24-08 10:43 AM
    The majority of phone companies can't tell whether you are tethering or not. So you may just be throwing $50 bucks to the sharks.
    07-24-08 10:50 AM
    It can be worth it...an air card works alot better and there is always wifi....it just depends why you need it...
    07-24-08 10:51 AM
    I would want it for when my home internet goes down...which sometimes happens frequently. Also, for vacation or travel. Some hotels charge you a flat fee to even get internet access while you're staying. I dunno how legit this mobishark thing is...although it would be neat. The only issue is that if you use over a few gigs they might become verryy suspicious of some tethering.
    07-24-08 11:04 AM
    I would want it for when my home internet goes down...which sometimes happens frequently. Also, for vacation or travel. Some hotels charge you a flat fee to even get internet access while you're staying. I dunno how legit this mobishark thing is...although it would be neat. The only issue is that if you use over a few gigs they might become verryy suspicious of some tethering.
    This is the exact reason Why I haven't tried tethering without Sprints knowledge.....I'd be afraid they'd catch on and I'd have a big surpise at the end of the month
    07-24-08 11:13 AM
    I've called Telus about this before. They told me to tether the phone as they couldn't tell the difference between tethered data and just regular data pulled by the phone normally.
    07-24-08 11:16 AM
    The majority of phone companies can't tell whether you are tethering or not. So you may just be throwing $50 bucks to the sharks.
    really, so when u run up 5gb of usage on ur EDGE blackberry, they won't know better?
    07-24-08 11:17 AM
    im very interested in knowing whether or not verizon can differentiate between blackberry data and tethered data. I also dont want to spend another 15 dollars a month for the option of tethering if necessary.

Mobishark is kind of a wierd program too, ive used the free trial and you need to proxy everything you want to connect to the net with, kind of a hassle imo but if it allows you to tether without paying the extra $$$$ then its worth it.
    07-24-08 11:21 AM
    I've seen guys on the howard forums rack up 20GB on telus
    07-24-08 11:34 AM
    When I had my xv 6700 on verizon I tethered all the time and they never caight on. I would use it to be on the internet in class to play on line poker, check facebook, read the news, etc. However I have a feeling I got lucky, and I really wouldn't reccomend doing it without the companies knowledge. Better safe than sorry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-08 11:36 AM
    the xv6700 was the easiest phone to tether on ever, i used to have one.

I think moderation is the key for worry free tethering
    theres a few good walkthroughs for blackberry tethering i just havent tried em out.
    07-24-08 12:26 PM
    I have Sprint and I have mobishark, there are no rules against it I've never been given extra data charges. There is a downside to tethering A) with mobishark you can only use Internet Exploer B) speed, if 240 k is fast enough (with Sprint you get 333k) then go for it. I don't use it often but I like to have it my back pocket

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-08 12:41 PM
    I have Verizon and I was unable to tether until I called and had them add the package to my plan. And it actually separates it out on my bill whether the data was used for tethering or just data usage on the phone, so they know when I am tethering and when I am not.
    07-24-08 12:51 PM
    theres a few good walkthroughs for blackberry tethering i just havent tried em out.
    Can you link any of those guides?
    07-24-08 12:53 PM
    im very interested in knowing whether or not verizon can differentiate between blackberry data and tethered data. I also dont want to spend another 15 dollars a month for the option of tethering if necessary.

Mobishark is kind of a wierd program too, ive used the free trial and you need to proxy everything you want to connect to the net with, kind of a hassle imo but if it allows you to tether without paying the extra $$$$ then its worth it.
    I don't know about this mobishark program but I do know that when I tether through verizon it logs the amount of streaming. You only get 4G for 30 bucks then they bill you. It may be because I use their program to access the internet and it monitors it through this, I know their wireless cards do the same thing as far as only allow you 4G/month.
    07-24-08 01:01 PM
    YaYa :

im pretty sure its because your using that VZ access connect software or whatever it is. When using a program like mobishark i cant see how verizon would be able to make any difference between tethered and non-tethered data
    07-24-08 01:05 PM
    yankees9920:: I sent you a pm with a few links. i would post them here but i cant post links until i have 10 posts. lolz.

but heres one just take the spaces out of the w w w .

w w w . blackberryforums.com/blackberry-guides/2019-user-howto-use-blackberry-modem-laptop.html
    07-24-08 01:09 PM
    YaYa :

im pretty sure its because your using that VZ access connect software or whatever it is. When using a program like mobishark i cant see how verizon would be able to make any difference between tethered and non-tethered data
    I was going to cancel it anyway because my husband got stuck with a wireless card. I would like to use it on my laptop occasionally as a matter of convenience as was suggested earlier. Do you know of another program other that mobishark that does the same thing?
    07-24-08 01:45 PM
    yankees9920:: I sent you a pm with a few links. i would post them here but i cant post links until i have 10 posts. lolz.

but heres one just take the spaces out of the w w w .

w w w . blackberryforums.com/blackberry-guides/2019-user-howto-use-blackberry-modem-laptop.html
    The links curtosy of tricknasty

http://www.bbgeeks.com/blackberry-gu...a-modem-88140/

BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community
    07-24-08 01:57 PM
    Verizon limits you to 5g a month, but its that a lot if you only tether occasionaly? How much pc use does it take to reach 5gb if you are just browsing, no video or music?
    07-24-08 01:58 PM
    From the Verizon BroadBandAccess Conect TOS,

E-mail (1 page without attachments) 3 KB
    17,067 (50MB) 1,747,627 (5GB)

Word Document (5 text pages) 70 KB
    731 (50MB) 74,898 (5GB)

Typical Web Page Lookup 150 KB
    341(50MB) 34,953 (5GB)

Low Resolution Digital Photo 500 KB
    102 (50MB) 10,486 (5GB)

PowerPoint� Presentation
    (20 pages text and light graphics) 3MB
    16 (50MB) 1,706 (5GB)

V CAST Music PC Download
    (3-minute song) 4 MB
    13 (50MB) 1280 (5GB)
    07-24-08 02:26 PM
    so basically if you are only looking to tether occasionally (maybe 10-15hrs a month) that is really no issue at all. And if those guides work as described you can avoid paying the $15-$30 fee
    07-24-08 02:30 PM
    so basically if you are only looking to tether occasionally (maybe 10-15hrs a month) that is really no issue at all. And if those guides work as described you can avoid paying the $15-$30 fee
    I dont how the other carriers format their bills and usage charges but even though with T-mo I got unlimited data access they still show data usage during the billing cycle. I tether occasionly when I dont have wifi or another broadbrand option. Obviously it benfits carriers like VZ and ATT that market wireless laptop cards they would discourage tethering as it would cut into another money maker. 5g is alot of data and for the most part the average person would be tethering to surf,check emails...crackberry etc. It wouldnt make sense to stream video or download a bit torrent using the BB as a modem anyway.
    07-24-08 09:04 PM
    hmmm.

I would venture to guess VZW knows when you tether or not. Just the fact if you do not have feature, no tether
    They can tell and they can turn you off. I think it is called theft of service.
    07-24-08 09:38 PM
    It may be theft of service but that doesn't mean they can tell
    07-24-08 10:21 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD