I have my Blackberry Curve for two months now, and I am loving it. A Treo convert. But one thing that really bugs me with the Curve's keyboard, is why on earth the designers would dedicate a button to the $ sign, and not the period/stop sign? Just how many times does anyone use the dollar sign when writting an email or text? Every time you need to enter a period sign it's a two step process. Maybe the designers were only seeing $$ when they designed it?
    02-22-08 05:50 PM
    It's another remnant of Blackberries being primarily business tools. Salesmen and such.
    02-22-08 05:54 PM
    I don't mind. Never bugged me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-08 06:07 PM
    Using the period by pressing space twice is fine for me. LOL! But I find myself hitting space twice while typing on the regular computer. Doesn't quite work the same now does it.

02-22-08 06:22 PM
    Is it possible to remap Blackberry keys?
    02-22-08 06:55 PM
    Using the period by pressing space twice is fine for me. LOL! But I find myself hitting space twice while typing on the regular computer. Doesn't quite work the same now does it.

I forgot about that one! Thanks for reminding me. Me happy crackberry user now!
    02-22-08 07:56 PM
    You can also you the $ key to switch between speaker and handset while on a call.
    02-22-08 09:32 PM
    Is it possible to remap Blackberry keys?
    No...........
    02-22-08 10:02 PM

Personally, I like the $ button for the keyboard. It's really useful for my business e-mails when I have to report to corporate about sales and whatnot. Just like Jazzee said and how you realized at the end of the thread, it really is like typing in the computer and the $ truly shows what the Blackberry is designed for.

I hope you're enjoying your phone
    02-23-08 12:11 AM
    i learned 2 things on the tread! sweet. I had no clue 2x on the space bar put a . awesome and the speaker, duh, it has the speaker icon. Duh, I'm such a ****.
    02-24-08 06:23 PM
    i learned 2 things on the tread! sweet. I had no clue 2x on the space bar put a . awesome and the speaker, duh, it has the speaker icon. Duh, I'm such a ****.
    LOL!!! Glad I could be of some assistance!!!
    02-24-08 09:14 PM
    You can also you the $ key to switch between speaker and handset while on a call.
    i have been wondering about that symbol...because it obviously isnt a profiles shortcut (which it probably should be, pearl was like that)

they put the $ on the keypad so i can text the message
    "wheres my $"
    to all who need to recieve that message
    02-25-08 01:51 AM

I though it's only me doing such thing
    02-25-08 09:57 AM
    LOL I never realized I had the $ symbol on the keyboard until now. I always hit the sym key to get it. BTW I've only had the curve for about 2 weeks now.
    02-25-08 10:25 AM
    it's all about the $$$
    02-25-08 11:24 AM
    This is perhaps the DUMBEST idea that has lasted for a long time.

1) I'll bet you type far more periods than you do dollar signs, even if you're in business.

2) The double space bar tap works ONLY when using it for email. But if you're typing in a URL or an email address as part of a domain name, it's downright infuriating. Typing in a URL in the browser, someone's email address in email, etc. and you're hosed.

THIS ALONE IS A REASON I COMPLETELY MISS MY TREO AND SOMEONE AT BLACKBERRY SHOULD WAKE UP BEFORE WE ALL GET CARPAL TUNNEL!!!
    06-05-08 11:51 AM

1) I'll bet you type far more periods than you do dollar signs, even if you're in business.

2) The double space bar tap works ONLY when using it for email. But if you're typing in a URL or an email address as part of a domain name, it's downright infuriating. Typing in a URL in the browser, someone's email address in email, etc. and you're hosed.

THIS ALONE IS A REASON I COMPLETELY MISS MY TREO AND SOMEONE AT BLACKBERRY SHOULD WAKE UP BEFORE WE ALL GET CARPAL TUNNEL!!!
    YEAH BUT IF YOU ARE IN THE BROWSER, IF YOU PRESS THE SPACE BAR ONCE THE PERIOD COMES UP, (e.g. CrackBerry.com �€“ The #1 Site for BlackBerry Users & Abusers) AFTER THE W'S AND BERRY, WHEN YOU PRESS THE SPACE BAR (ONCE) IT COMES UP.
    06-05-08 12:00 PM
    I use the key everyday and am glad it is there...

06-05-08 01:07 PM
    They should put something useful there like a dedicated "," key. I find that is the character I use most often, and that is a 2 stroke process. I also find that after I spend a lot of time on my BB, that I seem to forget how to type on a normal keyboard.
    06-05-08 01:13 PM
    I have my Blackberry Curve for two months now, and I am loving it. A Treo convert. But one thing that really bugs me with the Curve's keyboard, is why on earth the designers would dedicate a button to the $ sign, and not the period/stop sign? Just how many times does anyone use the dollar sign when writting an email or text? Every time you need to enter a period sign it's a two step process. Maybe the designers were only seeing $$ when they designed it?
    You do know that there is a quick start guide or something that came with your phone...

You stated that you felt it didn't make sense to have a dollar sign on the keyboard, but not a period... there is a period on the main QWERTY layout, you just need to push the Alt key (which is simple enough).

The keyboard layout of the Curve is one of the best around. Hit the space twice when you want a period. There are a bunch of nice tips that come with a little guide for your Curve. Like shortcuts to message, compose emails, go to previous, next and last messages... the shortcuts go on. Blackberrys are amazing smartphones and the Curve's keyboard has no flaws. IMO
    06-05-08 01:15 PM

And... as someone else mentioned... when typing a URL or an email address it couldn't be any easier... your Blackberry knows what it is doing.

Hit the space and it will insert a period (no spaces allowed in URLS or email addresses). And in an email address it will insert the @ sign as well... simple.

TIP:: Read the quick tips guide or whatever that came with your phone or go to the 'Blackberry 101 Lectures' on this site and learn some useful tips!!
    06-05-08 01:18 PM
    the dollar sign never has bothered me, but it is and I sometimes accidentally press it.
    06-05-08 07:52 PM
    YEAH BUT IF YOU ARE IN THE BROWSER, IF YOU PRESS THE SPACE BAR ONCE THE PERIOD COMES UP, (e.g. CrackBerry.com �€“ The #1 Site for BlackBerry Users & Abusers) AFTER THE W'S AND BERRY, WHEN YOU PRESS THE SPACE BAR (ONCE) IT COMES UP.
    And... as someone else mentioned... when typing a URL or an email address it couldn't be any easier... your Blackberry knows what it is doing.

Hit the space and it will insert a period (no spaces allowed in URLS or email addresses). And in an email address it will insert the @ sign as well... simple.

TIP:: Read the quick tips guide or whatever that came with your phone or go to the 'Blackberry 101 Lectures' on this site and learn some useful tips!!
    WRONG. THE BLACKBERRY DOESN'T KNOW JACK OF WHAT IT IS DOING OUTSIDE OF THE BROWSER. IF YOU ARE TYPING AN EMAIL ADDRESS ANYWHERE ELSE OTHER THAN THE BROWSER, E.G. EMAIL OR IN AN EMAIL FIELD IT PUTS IN A SPACE. WHY DOES THE BLACKBERRY PUT IN A SPACE IN MY "TO" AND "CC" FIELDS?

No... I have use that awful alt-period instead of just typing a period. It's absurd. If any of you had a Treo or any other non-Blackberry device you'll know what a major PITA this is having to shift and hit the alt key, type a period, and continue. I type email address in "compose" all the time, put in CCs, will send someone an email address in email, put it in a note, etc.

I also HATE hitting the space bar twice by accident (so used to using it instead of one damm press of the period key) and then doing a delete just to remove a space that is added extra. All I wanted was a period, just once. I'd pay $20 if someone could just hack the keyboard to put a period there instead of the dollar sign. quit making excuses Blackberry fanboys. It's a terrible oversight that continues to get trampled on by the geniuses at RIM. They did other stuff well, why not this?
    Last edited by slinky; 06-06-08 at 07:49 PM.
    06-06-08 07:44 PM
    LoL.
    You came up with ALL of that and pressing ALT(.) is too much for you?!?

HA!
    06-08-08 09:43 AM
    The "dollar" sign on my keyboard, when pressed, gives the British pound symbol! How can I get it to give me a "$" instead?? Thanks.
    11-17-08 05:07 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD