I want to try both BBSmart and Empower HTML Pro to determine which one to purchase. I am trying to find where I can download these over the air.
    Anyone has a link?
    Thanks!
    04-22-08 01:14 PM
    BBSmart:
    BBSmart Email Viewer
    Empower:
    www.getEmpower.com/ota
    Last edited by Chaz; 04-22-08 at 01:19 PM.
    04-22-08 01:17 PM
    04-22-08 01:18 PM
    Thank you!
    I'm going to try Empower first and then BBSmart.
    04-22-08 01:32 PM
    JoJo let us know what your impressions are because I have been debating between the two programs myself. I would appreciate the pros and cons of each.
    04-22-08 01:37 PM
    Empower is pretty much universally regarded as the better of the two. I have tried both and I too prefer Empower, though I have a hard time justifying the cost for either of them. Just know they don't give "true HTML" email, they just kind of "pretty things up."

Also, both offer free trial periods, so you can try them and see for yourself.
    04-22-08 01:43 PM
    My .02, both are good. I previously upgraded from BB Smart to Empower Pro. Little difference except for the price. I did not see a major improvement going from one vs. the other.
    04-22-08 01:44 PM
    Ok so I am currently on Empower but I am a bit confused.
    Isn't it suppose to show you pics et al within an email.
    At least this is what they advertise. I shouldn't be seeing hyperlinks anymore but rather the pics they're suppose to bring to your email.
    Did I understand this wrong?
    04-22-08 02:09 PM
    Nope...I wasn't mistaken...according to these images Empower is suppose to transform all of those html's into pics etc.
    04-22-08 02:12 PM
    Ok so I am currently on Empower but I am a bit confused.
    Isn't it suppose to show you pics et al within an email.
    At least this is what they advertise. I shouldn't be seeing hyperlinks anymore but rather the pics they're suppose to bring to your email.
    Did I understand this wrong?
    You have to set it to allow the pictures. Press menu and look for the new option called "Empower Options" or something like that. You will be able to set whether or not it shows images, the background color, font color, font type, etc. You can also set it as the default viewer for emails, because if it isn't the default viewer, to see HTML you will need to open your menu and click "Show in HTML," or something similar.
    04-22-08 02:23 PM
    You have to set it to allow the pictures. Press menu and look for the new option called "Empower Options" or something like that. You will be able to set whether or not it shows images, the background color, font color, font type, etc. You can also set it as the default viewer for emails, because if it isn't the default viewer, to see HTML you will need to open your menu and click "Show in HTML," or something similar.
    Oh I already checked all that. I went into options and checked to see what might be the option to display links as images. I went into advance option and by "show links as" it has smart and I changed it to website name. But that didn't show images so I changed it back to smart. I assume this is for it to show the website's name hyperlinked rather than the link itself.
    I also went into Image Display Options and by Images in messages I have it as load images. Nothing else in there for images.
    04-22-08 02:41 PM
    mine shows pics, it just takes a little bit to load them all (the arrows in the top corner show data is being sent/received)

go to empower options -- image&cache options, make sure it shows "images in messages "load images", rather than show as link, strip images, on demand, etc

if you did that, and it doesnt work, my only guess would be that maybe since yours is the trial?

try changing the cache size under that option setting as well. i have mine set to the max, 2.5 mb
    Last edited by MikeJones3054; 04-22-08 at 03:19 PM.
    04-22-08 03:14 PM
    Yes, I already have those options.
    I guess it being a trial may be the most likely explanation.
    Oh well...I will not buy it until I try it.
    I think BB's apps are ridiculously expensive
    Last edited by JoJo78; 04-22-08 at 03:36 PM.
    04-22-08 03:28 PM
    JoJo I know that 4.5 which will be released Real Soon Now has HTML email views built in. How do I know, I installed 4.5 on my 8310 when I messed it up the other day and HTML emails were there. I am now back on a released OS so it's gone away.

I use Empower Pro on my 8100 and think that it is great but then I have not even tried BBSmart so I can't comment on that.
    04-22-08 04:07 PM
    4.5 doesn't have HTML emails, it has a cleaned up nicer version of the way emails are now.

Probably your best bet is to shoot an email to Empower, as i'm pretty sure the trial is a 100% full trial for both of them..
    04-22-08 04:30 PM
    Says it does in the write up on this very forum AND, I saw it on the version I installed (8310_4.5.0PL2.7.0.40.exe). It waas not as nice as EMPower but the text was nicely formatted.

If I am wrong then, many apologies. I can't check it out now cuz I am not running 4.5 any more
    04-22-08 04:46 PM
    Well, its not "true" HTML

The text IS very nicely formatted, but it still won't open pictures or anything like that.

The HTML is an option for the BES server 4.1 SP5, but its not enabled.

No worries
    04-22-08 05:05 PM
    i love the BB but you are right about apps.

guess we gotta pay for quality. but for such small itty bitty apps, you would think they would be a little bit cheaper! lol
    04-22-08 05:09 PM
    Jojo: with BBSmart, if the pic is received in the form of an attachment rather than embedded in the email, it will not show the pic in the email. I assume its the same thing with you. Hope that makes sense.
    04-22-08 05:44 PM
    It makes sense...but the pics I am talking about is the ones embedded in the emails. Emails such as the ones one gets from Victoria Secret, ebay, etc. These have images embedded in them and I am not seeing them. The only one that shows a hint of the image is ebay and that's the ebay logo up top, everything else shows as links.

One has to pay for quality I totally agree, but for the price cleaner text/prettier email just doesn't cut it for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-08 07:54 PM
    It makes sense...but the pics I am talking about is the ones embedded in the emails. Emails such as the ones one gets from Victoria Secret, ebay, etc. These have images embedded in them and I am not seeing them. The only one that shows a hint of the image is ebay and that's the ebay logo up top, everything else shows as links.

One has to pay for quality I totally agree, but for the price cleaner text/prettier email just doesn't cut it for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    There is something wrong in your situation though. You are right, it should be showing the pictures. It doesn't show them all, and it will occasionally format them in the wrong place, but it should be showing more than just a logo, or a link. I wish I had more information to go along with this though... I just know that when I used the trial of Empower, roughly 85-90% of the images in my emails showed up.
    04-22-08 10:25 PM
    Yes, I already have those options.
    I guess it being a trial may be the most likely explanation.
    Oh well...I will not buy it until I try it.
    I think BB's apps are ridiculously expensive
    I have .18 on my Curve and I retraced an old link and reloaded BB Smartview that actually allows viewing. (Thank you). When I previously upgraded to .10, my Empower Pro would not work- at all. So, if you're going to purchase one or the other, go the cheaper route to keep from paying more when a viewer will be included in the newer OS package.
    04-22-08 11:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD