I upgraded to 4.5 and now my memory is being eaten away at daily, even when I close all my apps and clear my cache...everything! I read somewhere that I need to have at least 12000000Bytes to operate well and I'm down to 9?!

I deleted unecessary apps, if I delete anymore, having a BB will be pointless.

HELP!!!
    12-20-08 09:03 AM
    Do you have an SD car din the phone and are you storing pictures, video, and music to the device?
    12-20-08 09:05 AM
    I have and SD card and pics video and music gets stored there.
    12-20-08 09:08 AM
    Try this and see if helps.

1. From the main screen, choose Media (camera with yellow note).

2. Hit the Menu button and choose Options.

3. Under General, change the Device Memory Limit from 12MB to 15MB.

4. Under Pictures, change the Reserved Pictures Memory from 2MB to 0MB.

5. Hit Menu, click Save.

This deletes the reserved picture partition, and makes more memory available generally to the Pearl. And it saves the customer from the software upgrade (which may not fix it).
    12-20-08 09:16 AM
    didn't work for me. As a matter of fact it had the opposite result because prior to doing it, I deleted my windows msger app and my mem went to 13 after I did what you suggested, it went down to 11....
    12-20-08 09:23 AM
    now do a battery reset. IF this continues to happen call your carrier and have them review it. Might be a device issue.
    12-20-08 09:28 AM
    well I did a soft reset - i guess I should try a battery pull?
    12-20-08 09:31 AM
    battery pull is more agressive. It reset the OS better and drains the memory to clear it up
    12-20-08 09:32 AM
    ok, I'll try that. Thanks.
    12-20-08 09:38 AM
    battery pull is more agressive. It reset the OS better and drains the memory to clear it up
    Well put, IMO nothing replaces the battery pull. I do soft reset between pulls, but if i install an app or my device is acting up, a battery pull works best...
    12-20-08 09:42 AM
    How often should you do a battery pull?

I've been loving my BB curve. Not really issues so far after two weeks of use. My 4.5 OS upgraded the other day with one issue. The phone set my gmail account to be my primary email. I actually removed the gmail account to allow my forwarded outlook account to be the default again.
    12-20-08 11:59 AM
    Not debating the differences, to each his own, but I did a side by side comparison of file free memory released with a batt pull and a hard reset for a three week period, and there was virtually no difference. I'm not against battery pulls, but I haven't needed to do one in months. This is only for file free memory release. One needs to do a batt pull for device malfunctions.

For the OP, some devices develop a memory leak after upgrading OS's. Manageing your file free memory is a daily task that for me consisted of clearing browser cache, event log and a hard reset. For my last upgrade, I used crackmem and it's wipe function. This helped quite a bit and my file free memory runs in a range between 14 and 22 mb. If you do this, make sure you back up your 3rd party apps and backup your device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by exelant; 12-20-08 at 12:49 PM.
    12-20-08 12:44 PM
    In case you need it:
    Soft Reset for Curve: press alt>right shift>delete keys at the same time.

Hard Reset: press the alt>right shift>delete keys again after the BlackBerry's screen lights up after the first reset.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-08 12:47 PM
    Try this and see if helps.

3. Under General, change the Device Memory Limit from 12MB to 15MB.
    You want your Device Memory Limit to be LOW, not higher. Especially if you have a Micro SD card that holds all of your media. Go ahead and change that to 5MB.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.
    12-20-08 02:17 PM
    If you have an sd card there is no reason to save the memory for pictures. So you would reduce the pictures and increase the device memory
    12-20-08 02:59 PM
    15mb or 5mb? Where should I have my 8830?
    12-23-08 05:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD