i recently noticed that my little ball on my blackberry curve is not working as well as it used to, its a bit sticky moving down. what happens if it breaks, is this something that can be fixed quickly?
    Last edited by jbbrocky; 01-12-08 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling
    01-12-08 04:40 PM
    Take a look at THIS THREAD
    01-12-08 05:16 PM
    i am scared to give this a try, knowing me I will mess something up. Wonder if I take it to an att store if they would clean it for me.
    01-12-08 06:01 PM
    Don't try it. The trackball on my 8830 was lagging, so I tries to follow the directions, the whole mechanism came apart, and I could not put it back together for the life of me. I had to end up trading it with Insurion. I was really suprised that it busted. I am usually pretty good with devices. Try some canned air through the side rails.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-08 10:02 PM
    I'm not sure I have the "balls" to try that...
    01-12-08 11:39 PM
    RIM says the way to clear a sticking trackball is to push down on it and roll in the direction that doesn't work. There is not much to go wrong in there except dirt getting between the ball and the rollers.
    01-13-08 01:18 AM
    yea no way i am playing operation with my beloved crackberry
    01-13-08 06:10 PM
    yea no way i am playing operation with my beloved crackberry
    Yeah, it was a little scary. I took mine apart, cleaned it and reassembled it. I posted some pics in the previously mentioned thread (link below...).

How to remove and clean your trackball - Page 4 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

If you are not comfortable w/ this sort of delicate / intricate work I wouldn't recommend trying it w/o first getting a new ball assembly off eBay and having it on standby. Some of my pics I took w/ the parts next to a dime. It looks like a Silver Dollar!

Also, somewhere people mentioned taking the ball assembly out and soaking it in something. I really don't think that will work. The only way to clean it is to take it all apart and wipe the bits down w/ something (q-tip & alcohol is what I used).

Good luck!
    Last edited by jonwb; 02-17-08 at 10:09 AM.
    02-17-08 10:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD