Can somebody explain to me what mass storage mode is and when would I need it turned on? Thanks in advance.
    08-26-08 02:05 PM
    It lets your PC view your memory card as a drive
    08-26-08 02:06 PM
    mass storage mode basically makes your bb act like a usb drive. if you enable it, you can click and drag files to and from your berry just like a usb drive. I use it a lot just because its easier to transfer media this way for me.
    It allows you to drag and drop files onto your berry instead of using media manager

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I have a few things from work I need to do at home tonight. I have just dropped the files onto my berry and I'll pull them off when I get home,
    08-26-08 02:27 PM
    I tried the Media Manager for the first time today.....it was pretty simple. I'll probably still use mass storage though.
    08-26-08 02:29 PM
    Media Manager and Mass Storage Mode are mutually incompatible. If you want to run Media Manager, you have to turn off Mass Storage Mode. That's why it's recommended you let the BlackBerry prompt you for Mass Storage Mode, instead of going into it automatically.

For most purposes, Mass Storage Mode is much better than Media Manager. The only time you really have to use Media Manager is to get pictures out of your device memory. Mass Storage Mode can't see the device memory. Once the pictures are on the Media Card, Mass Storage Mode will let you drag and drop between the BlackBerry and your PC.
    08-26-08 02:48 PM
    Media Manager and Mass Storage Mode are mutually incompatible. If you want to run Media Manager, you have to turn off Mass Storage Mode. That's why it's recommended you let the BlackBerry prompt you for Mass Storage Mode, instead of going into it automatically.
    I've not found this to be the case. Media Manager works just fine on my Curve with Mass Storage Mode enabled.
    08-26-08 03:34 PM
    I've not found this to be the case. Media Manager works just fine on my Curve with Mass Storage Mode enabled.
    Same here.
    08-26-08 03:39 PM
    I've never heard this before Jeff, and never had issues, what's your source on this one?
    08-26-08 03:41 PM
    Perhaps I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. But just to be sure, let's recap. You have Mass Storage Mode enabled, and either connecting automatically, or you're saying yes to the prompt, so Mass Storage Mode is running. You can see the Media Card as a drive letter in MyComputer.

You then run Desktop Manager Media Manager and can see the device memory.

Then, with Media Manager running, you open the Media Card drive letter using Windows explorer.

If you can do both those actions without an error, and both work, then my statement of incompatibility is wrong. I can't check it for myself since I don't have Media Manager installed anymore. If I'm wrong, I'll have to figure out why I thought they were incompatible.

Thanks for humoring me by doing this test.
    08-26-08 03:45 PM
    I've never heard this before Jeff, and never had issues, what's your source on this one?
    It's one of those things I've repeated so often, I no longer remember where I got it. I'm pretty sure I didn't just imagine it, but if it's simply not true, then I obviously misunderstood something. I haven't had Media Manager installed for a long time. It's possible that I made some mistake way back then that caused me to believe they were incompatible, when really it was just my mistake.

I hope one of you guys will do the test I described and post your results, since I can't test it for myself. If I'm wrong, I'll change my info for all subsequent posts, and correct past ones as they come up again.

EDIT: Found my source. From p. 148 in the 8830 User Guide:
    Media troubleshooting
    I cannot open media files. Try performing the following actions:
    • If you are trying to open a media file on your BlackBerry� device and your device is connected to your computer, disconnect your device from the computer or turn off mass storage mode.
    • If you are trying to open a media file on your computer using mass storage mode, verify that you have closed the media manager tool of the BlackBerry� Desktop Manager.
    • If you are trying to open a media file on your computer using the media manager tool of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, verify that mass storage mode is turned off on your device...

I still may be wrong, but I'm not completely delusional!
    Last edited by JeffH; 08-26-08 at 04:02 PM. Reason: found my source
    08-26-08 03:52 PM
    I have my Curve set to automatically go into mass storage mode (it pops up a folder for the "G:" drive when plugged in).

I just plugged it in. Just ran MM. Accessed and played videos/music through MM... encoded a video through MM and transferred to my BB.

Maybe this is a limitation in an older build of the software, but it works just fine for me now (desktop version 4.5).
    08-26-08 03:59 PM
    But did it transfer to the media card or to main memory?
    08-26-08 04:03 PM
    You might be confused over the fact that you can't access media ON YOUR BLACKBERRY while mass storage mode is engaged... by that I mean that if you physically pick up the BB, and try to access your pictures or music or videos, etc.
    08-26-08 04:04 PM
    But did it transfer to the media card or to main memory?
    Media card. I don't have anything in my main memory and aside from that, the video was around 100MB. Too big for main.
    08-26-08 04:05 PM
    Ahrg! I can't believe you made me do that Jeff! But it works fine, HOWEVER I didn't think it was possible to make DM any slower but I now know you can. Boy I hate that software. I can't remember the last time i used it. I got the PM
    nice (and fast) source find. You sir are a plethora of knowledge. Had anyone else posted that statement I would have never noticed, but you are one of the few around here that when they speak you listen. Thanks
    08-26-08 04:18 PM
    You might be confused over the fact that you can't access media ON YOUR BLACKBERRY while mass storage mode is engaged... by that I mean that if you physically pick up the BB, and try to access your pictures or music or videos, etc.
    That's probably it. Take a look back at my post #12 to see my source.
    08-26-08 04:28 PM
    ...But it works fine, HOWEVER I didn't think it was possible to make DM any slower but I now know you can...
    I have my Curve set to automatically go into mass storage mode (it pops up a folder for the "G:" drive when plugged in).

I just plugged it in. Just ran MM. Accessed and played videos/music through MM... encoded a video through MM and transferred to my BB.

Maybe this is a limitation in an older build of the software, but it works just fine for me now (desktop version 4.5).
    You might be confused over the fact that you can't access media ON YOUR BLACKBERRY while mass storage mode is engaged...
    Thank you both for checking that out. So per SommerMatt, you can't access media with Media Manager while Mass Storage Mode is engaged. That's consistent with the 8830 User Guide that I quoted in Post #12. But you can run Media Manager while connected in Mass Storage Mode? That's what I think pltaylor and SommerMatt's other quoted posts are saying. But to me, what I just wrote seems contradictory. What am I missing? And thank you both again for checking it for me.
    08-26-08 04:50 PM
    Wait... let me make this as clear as I can:

1) My BB is always in mass storage mode
    2) The BB shows up as an external drive when plugged in
    3) I can use Roxio's Media Manager (on my PC) perfectly fine to transfer/copy/delete files to my BB while it is plugged in (see point #1)
    4) While the BB is plugged into the computer, you cannot access anything stored on the MicroSD card while physically using the actual handset (e.g. while plugged in you cannot pick up the BB, scroll into the media app, and play anything).

Maybe we're using the term "media manager" to mean two different things. When I say "media manager," I mean the Roxio software that comes with the BB Desktop... NOT the little film canister icon on my actual Curve.
    08-26-08 05:36 PM
    Well, I certainly learned something. I had no idea I could use my Curve as a 2gig flash drive, for lack of a better term. Nice to know that I can manipulate pics on the card memory without using the desktop manager.

08-26-08 05:58 PM
    Wait... let me make this as clear as I can:

1) My BB is always in mass storage mode
    2) The BB shows up as an external drive when plugged in
    3) I can use Roxio's Media Manager (on my PC) perfectly fine to transfer/copy/delete files to my BB while it is plugged in (see point #1)
    4) While the BB is plugged into the computer, you cannot access anything stored on the MicroSD card while physically using the actual handset (e.g. while plugged in you cannot pick up the BB, scroll into the media app, and play anything).

Maybe we're using the term "media manager" to mean two different things. When I say "media manager," I mean the Roxio software that comes with the BB Desktop... NOT the little film canister icon on my actual Curve.
    No, we're talking about the same Roxio Media Manager. And your explanation is perfectly clear. It's just that your points 1, 2, and 3 appear to directly contradict the 8830 User Guide, p, 148: Media troubleshooting. I cannot open media files. Try performing the following actions:
    • If you are trying to open a media file on your BlackBerry� device and your device is connected to your computer, disconnect your device from the computer or turn off mass storage mode.
    • If you are trying to open a media file on your computer using mass storage mode, verify that you have closed the media manager tool of the BlackBerry� Desktop Manager.
    • If you are trying to open a media file on your computer using the media manager tool of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, verify that mass storage mode is turned off on your device.

As you pointed out earlier, that it works for you and pltaylor may be due to differences in our OS versions, or our hardware. The 8830 User Guide doesn't look ahead to OS4.5.

Since it works for you, I'm going to take the incompatibility part out of my notes on Mass Storage Mode. Regardless of what my 8830 User Guide says, there's no point in saying something's incompatible when you can clearly demonstrate that for your configuration there is no incompatibility.

Thanks again to both of you for diving into Media Manager for me. The one indisputable capability it has that Mass Storage Mode does not, the ability to read the device memory, is not something I need, so I'm not going to install it, but I learned a lot from the discussion.
    08-26-08 06:25 PM
    Mine works the same way, jeff. It is set to auto and I see and use it as G:\ drive. While I've got you guys here, what/which program do you find best for ripping music to, and copying videos and movies to, a BB media card? I am done done with Roxio.

08-26-08 08:48 PM
    BOy did we hiJack this thread or what!
    08-26-08 08:51 PM
    Mine works the same way, jeff. It is set to auto and I see and use it as G:\ drive. While I've got you guys here, what/which program do you find best for ripping music to, and copying videos and movies to, a BB media card? I am done done with Roxio.

I copied this list from Pete a while back. I haven't used any of them, but a recommendation from Pete is always worth a look:

Roxio will do all the neccessary media format conversions when you are putting stuff onto your phone but there are free utilities around that do a much better job of that.

AUDIO
    use MP3 format and get Audacity: Windows and Audacity: How do I download and install the LAME MP3 encoder?

PICTURES
    Get Image resizing, do it with PIXresizer which will resize any/all your pics for the BlackBerry

VIDEOS
    Get Blackberry Video Converter from Seabyrd Technologies - Blackberry Video Converter
    08-26-08 09:19 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD