Before the flaming starts, let me explain:

I feel like I *must* be missing something...

I was updating an app this morning on my device (LaunchPads) and my device went South for the winter. (Error 507) OS = FUBAR

I went through the all too familiar process of recovery, delete vendor.xml, run apploader, etc, ad nauseum...

After getting the OS loaded I ran the restore of the backup I made prior to running the upgrade...I get my messages back, but that's about it. Here I am reinstalling all the apps that I've installed via DM, afterwards I get to try to remember where I got the OTA stuff, like themes..

So am I just ********, or WTF is the point of having a damn backup if I have to reload every time?
    07-07-08 11:06 AM
    Third Party apps, etc are not fully backed up with DesktopManager...

There is a guide somewhere to detail this and to make restoring less painful.

I know, it is a pain...
    07-07-08 11:09 AM
    Well I'm still in the midst of reboots so I can't speak intelligently now, but things I've noticed so far BB Messenger contacts are gone...memopad memos are gone.

I've got my SMS history and email. woo hoo.

I know I bring this on myself for the most part, but crap...
    07-07-08 11:16 AM
    When I do a backup it always asks me if I want to save my apps!
    07-07-08 11:20 AM
    Yeah. I thought there were more options and you can also change settings to back up more items. I know some of my other info besides the basic SMS and email is backed up. The address book... obviously... but I thought there was more.

I have not had to restore for a little while now
    07-07-08 11:22 AM
    This is a good topic, IMO.....I know that when I got the new OS, all my apps were put back.....but I've never had to restore....but what I see on the backup leads me to believe that my 3rd party apps wouldn't be restored.

What BB needs is a program like Palm had called Backup buddy that backed up EVERYTHING to your sim card so that it could be restored......
    07-07-08 11:39 AM
    I know that after upgrading to beta, I had to redownload all my apps and install them on my BB via DM. I didn't mind so much, because my address book, BM contacts, and sms messages were saved. If I lost it all though, I would have been really annoyed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-08 11:43 AM
    This is a good topic, IMO.....I know that when I got the new OS, all my apps were put back.....but I've never had to restore....but what I see on the backup leads me to believe that my 3rd party apps wouldn't be restored.

What BB needs is a program like Palm had called Backup buddy that backed up EVERYTHING to your sim card so that it could be restored......

That is definitely one thing I miss from my WM device. I mean I have a 4GB card, how hard would it be to put *EVERYTHING* from memory on the device to a file on the SD Card?

I'm still unsure as to WTF happened anyway.
    07-07-08 11:47 AM
    I think you mean microSD card, not SIM card... but this is a great topic.

If anyone has the link for the How-To on backing up completely... including apps... that would be great!! I know I read a thread at one point and cannot locate it now!! ahh... that is like the third time that happened to me today.

The boards are getting poluted with some random topics that can really throw off searches I just cannot find a couple threads I know exist!
    07-07-08 11:53 AM
    mine backed up all of my apps. i just had to reregister with them, and put in my passwords again etc.
    07-07-08 11:54 AM
    For some reason I can never restore my contacts. =(

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-08 11:58 AM
    I think you mean microSD card, not SIM card... but this is a great topic.

If anyone has the link for the How-To on backing up completely... including apps... that would be great!! I know I read a thread at one point and cannot locate it now!! ahh... that is like the third time that happened to me today.

The boards are getting poluted with some random topics that can really throw off searches I just cannot find a couple threads I know exist!
    Yeah...I've been searching whilst loading and watching hourglasses...:P

I've really only found this article from RIM:
    Backup process for a BlackBerry device
    07-07-08 12:00 PM
    I will definitely be checking back on this thread because twice I've had issues with backup when it didn't work. I save everything but when I go to retrieve the backup, my address book info is gone along with all my calendar dates. Everything else is fine. Fortunately I had the address book and calendar saved in outlook so I didn't scream too badly but I kept thinking "what if"... I don't even have the os beta and I have the DM 4.5 so I can't blame that.
    07-07-08 12:00 PM
    Yeah...I've been searching whilst loading and watching hourglasses...:P

I've really only found this article from RIM:
    Backup process for a BlackBerry device
    Yeah. I know there was a FAQ or How-To on CrackBerry or the likes... but I cannot put my finger on it!! ahh
    07-07-08 12:01 PM
    Using the switch device wizard will back up all databases (except BES if using wireless syc). When it asks you to switch the device after backup select cancel. The file should be named loaderbackup and the date.
    07-07-08 12:12 PM
    Using the switch device wizard will back up all databases (except BES if using wireless syc). When it asks you to switch the device after backup select cancel. The file should be named loaderbackup and the date.
    Damn I'd forgotten all about that!

Maybe I still have one...hmmm
    07-07-08 12:20 PM
    That is a nice work-around...

I know there was a How-To that went into more detail and had a difference process though. I cannot find the damn thing still!! AHH

IF anyone reads this thread and knows what I am talking about... please post a link!!
    07-07-08 12:25 PM
    07-07-08 12:27 PM
    What good are backups? My 1970s IT training kicked in and said:
    - IT Rule #1, make a backup
    - IT Rule #2, make another one.

Desktop Manager does not do a full device backup (shock, horror) including applications. What it does do is to backup all the device's databases which contain configuration and setup data, depending entirely on the application. So if you do that and you have all your apps then you can do a complete device restore, right? Not really. I found that when I changed OSs the Backup would not Restore correctly.

When you upgrade the OS, let the OS install procedure do the Backup and Restore as a part of the installation. This seesm to get your application data back somewhat better than a Backup done from DM.

I also found this handy little free application Free download ABC Amber BlackBerry Convertor, parse, convert, backup and archive IPD files to CHM, PDF, HTML, Word, Access, Excel, CSV, IPD Extractor that will open up a Backup .ipd file and allow you to examine and export the data from mst of the Blackberry databases - this includes your Address Book.

I always do a sync before I do a Backup. I guess that I am just a data paranoid.
    07-07-08 12:49 PM
    What good are backups? My 1970s IT training kicked in and said:
    - IT Rule #1, make a backup
    - IT Rule #2, make another one.

<snip>

I always do a sync before I do a Backup. I guess that I am just a data paranoid.
    I'm with you 110%

The real rock in my shoe over this is that I was only upgrading an application when my OS crapped out, not upgrading the OS.

Thanks for the link though. I'd seen this before, but had forgotten it as I had no real need at the time of reading. :P

I'm thinking someone could do well making an application that would do a *real* device backup. (HINT HINT)
    07-07-08 01:05 PM
    I think that writing a full device backup program could be a real minefield. It would have to work on all devices, all phone OSs, all sorts of Windows variations and PC hardware and it would only ever have to lose just one person's data and the poor developper would get lynched iin here even if the loss were not his fault.

RIM needs to to this, not us, I feel.

I always manage (now) to get all my stuff working even though I have had several serious crashes during upgrades. I keep all my apps on my PC, do a sync befor I start, then a BAckup and then I let the OS upgrade wizard have a go.

I have evolved this strategy as I get really pi$$ed of when I lose my Address Book or Calendar.

Upgrades are an exercise in damage limitation even though you may think that you are getting more features.
    07-07-08 01:18 PM
    I think that writing a full device backup program could be a real minefield. It would have to work on all devices, all phone OSs, all sorts of Windows variations and PC hardware and it would only ever have to lose just one person's data and the poor developper would get lynched iin here even if the loss were not his fault.

RIM needs to to this, not us, I feel.

I always manage (now) to get all my stuff working even though I have had several serious crashes during upgrades. I keep all my apps on my PC, do a sync befor I start, then a BAckup and then I let the OS upgrade wizard have a go.

I have evolved this strategy as I get really pi$$ed of when I lose my Address Book or Calendar.

Upgrades are an exercise in damage limitation even though you may think that you are getting more features.
    I've evolved the same strategy, but it's frustrating when I go to all that effort and still lose configuration stuff for non-3rd party apps.

I agree RIM should (long ago) provide this functionality. What if (I know I'm opening a can of worms) Microsoft Backup *only* backed up Microsoft files?

Nonsense.
    07-07-08 01:24 PM
    mine backed up all of my apps. i just had to reregister with them, and put in my passwords again etc.
    ^^ Same experience for me. Weird that you can't get everything back - I can only imagine frustrating that must be!
    07-07-08 01:32 PM
    ^^ Same experience for me. Weird that you can't get everything back - I can only imagine frustrating that must be!
    I hope you never have to know...I really just don't get it. Whilst I'm pondering does anyone know why when I installed this app that DM decided I had to do that remove all apps, and restore all aps nonsense?

I think this is the root cause.

Things that really get me are losing items in MemoPad and BBM contacts.
    07-07-08 01:47 PM
    I think I found what I was looking for!!

FINALLY!!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/upd...rograms-46800/
    07-07-08 02:03 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD