What is the purpose of the auto on/off feature? The guy at the Verizon store said you don't have to use it. Other owners have told me you have to reboot the phone daily like a computer.

If it is not needed, why is there an option? If it is needed, what is the purpose?

Jim
    10-16-08 09:12 AM
    It just a program for your phone to turn it off and on at certain times, like when your sleeping. Its an option that some people use, that's all.
    ancient2 likes this.
    10-16-08 09:20 AM
    ok tks

Jim
    10-16-08 09:25 AM
    Another great lesson on the Blackberry 101 series: http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...-17-using-auto
    10-16-08 09:25 AM
    billsmetro is right (love that guy's signature) the use of Auto On/Off is optional. I use it to turn my phone off at 11:00PM and back on again at 7:30AM weekdays and 8:30AM weekends. It stops me getting woken up by incoming emails, it's automatic and it saves battery life.

As to re-booting, a weekly reboot is worth doing. Mos people here do this by removing the battery for 30 secs and replacing it. This is known as a battery pull and it resets the memory and kils all the programs that you have left open.

Blackberrys use up memry on ther own and a battery pull resolves this.
    10-16-08 09:27 AM
    Auto on/off is useful for those times when you absolutely dont want the phone on, or you don't want to be disturbed.

e.g. when you're sleeping and u never want to receive a call. you can then use auto on/off, helps to save some battery juice.

Just a note, auto on/off is not the same as a reboot. in fact it is not even a soft reset.

to do a soft reset, press ALT - Shift - Del. to do a hard reset, press ALt- shift - Del, then when the phones powers on, repeat again.

some people reboot once a day, others once a week. others reboot more than once a day depending on how much memory your bb is leaking. but a general rule of thumb is if your bb is nearing 12MB and below, do a hard reboot/reset.

In short, if you need to be contacted 24/7, or wish to be contacted 24/7, then dont use auto on/off.
    10-16-08 10:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD