Here's a new one -- never heard of this happening before on any phone.

I was going crazy trying to activate by new sCurve both online and with the rep -- until we realized that the ESN and PIN numbers printed on the box, AND on the label inside the phone, are wrong. When you go to options/status, the PIN and ESN entries are completely different from what's printed on the phone itself.

Once we figured this out, of course, the rep and I were instantly able to activate the phone.

But do I have a "white elephant" on my hands? In other words, could this wind up being a problem down the road, where this would be hard to re-sell or get repaired or some other issue? If so, I imagine I can make Sprint replace it.

what would you do?
    06-19-08 02:10 PM
    Did the box have a factory seal on it when you picked it up or was it previously opened? Seems Fishy I would take it back and get it swapped.
    06-19-08 02:14 PM
    Same here I mean you never know what could happen I would swap it.
    06-19-08 02:31 PM
    I bet you will eventually have issues! I suspect that the PIN/ESN on your account will (for whatever reason...) never match up with those on your phone and at some point it will bite you... I would certainly take it to the store and have it switched...
    06-19-08 02:38 PM
    I too would switch it out. In the future, if problems arise, the non matching PIN/ESN between the box and the phone will only be an excuse for the carrier to give you a hard time. If you're within the 30 days - I highly recommend doing it. Besides, it's your new toy and if you're anything like me I like me new toys to come in tip top shape!
    06-19-08 02:46 PM
    I too would switch it out. In the future, if problems arise, the non matching PIN/ESN between the box and the phone will only be an excuse for the carrier to give you a hard time. If you're within the 30 days - I highly recommend doing it. Besides, it's your new toy and if you're anything like me I like me new toys to come in tip top shape!
    I agree completely...You never know down the road, better to be safe then say CRUD!! shoulda done that back then!!!! just make sure they dont send you a refurb
    06-19-08 03:38 PM
    I agree completely...You never know down the road, better to be safe then say CRUD!! shoulda done that back then!!!! just make sure they dont send you a refurb
    This maybe late and all but I saw this thread and thought that your problem was very interseting, I totally agree with everyone here. Get rid of it, and if you can, try going to a different Sprint store.
    06-19-08 06:48 PM
    Thanks to everyone for all the replies -- I will return it ASAP. Funny thing is, it was a sealed package, shipped direct from Sprint and ordered for me by Retentions...and the ESN on the box label and inside the battery compartment match perfectly -- it's just not the one embedded in the phone. I think it's just a snafu at RIM. We'll see if the local store can swap it.

Thanks again...
    06-19-08 07:56 PM
    I tried a year ago to swap out a previous phone... My local Sprint store would not take a return of a phone shipped to me from Sprint or online. They said that they can only swap phones that came from them. Of course, the retentions folks will certainly ship another one to you tomorrow with no drama, so just call them back and say you want a new phone... They'll even send you the call tag to return the current phone to them. So... call retentions (again) and put the problem in their lap.
    06-19-08 08:38 PM
    I would take it back and swap it just to be on the safe side.
    06-19-08 08:46 PM
    Sprint retentions agreed to replace the phone, but didn't want to. First they said they couldn't do it because it was working fine. Then, when I argued it would hurt the resale value or cause other problems, they got RIM on the phone (since after all it was a mfg defect). RIM wouldn't do it, so retentions -- being the only best of the Sprint CS reps -- agreed to do it on "their nickel."

Sprint couldn't get RIM to do the right thing. So I guess the Sprint rep now knows how we sometimes feel dealing with Sprint!

But they did the right thing, and I'm grateful -- and thanks again for the advice here.
    06-26-08 11:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD