I've been a member for awhile but this is my first post. A couple of days ago I upgraded from a Pearl 8130 to a Curve 8330. By the way, my carrier is Alltel. Everything was fine until I installed DM and attached the phone via usb. The connected icon would appear beside the battery life on the phone but would disappear in a few seconds. The computer wouldn't recognize the phone at all, not even as mass storage. I updated all drivers and did a clean install of DM. Still nothing. I connected my Pearl and it was detected without any hesitation. The Curve will charge fine with the wall charger but not usb. I then contacted Alltel support and they told me it was a problem with the phone and to take it back. Upon arriving at the Alltel store, I had the guy plug the phone into his pc and it worked fine! He also upgraded the OS for me while it was connected. I brought the phone back home and had the same problem. I've exhausted all options that I can think of. Installed DM on 2 different pc's, one with Vista and one with XP, used 3 different usb cables, tried all versions of DM from 4.3 up, updated all drivers for usb use, tried all usb ports on both pc's, and tried all types of resets (hard reset, soft reset and even a complete wipe and re-install of OS) Still, when the phone is plugged in with the usb, it is not detected. The last time I spoke with the Alltel Tech he told me there was nothing else he could do. Any help with this would be appreciated because there has to be a solution. Thanks all!!
    11-25-08 08:36 AM
    As long as you're not using a USB hub, the first tech was probably right that it is a problem with the Device's plug or the cord you're using. Did you try a different cord? I would take it back and exchange it. I don't know why the tech was able to get it to connect, but there must be a problem if you can't get it to work with all you've done. Don't take too long and miss the 30 day deadline to return it to the store for a new replacement. They won't lose too much, they'll refurb it and give out again to someone as a post 30 day replacement.
    11-25-08 09:08 AM
    Yeah take it back soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-08 09:15 AM
    I dont see how it could be a problem with the phone though since they were able to detect it with the pc at the store. Is it possible that it could be a home network issue since both the pc's I've tried it on are on the same network?
    11-25-08 09:44 AM
    Are you using the same cord on both home PC's?
    11-25-08 09:55 AM
    I've used 3 different ones. One that came with the Pearl, one that came with the Curve and one aftermarket. None of them work on any of the usb ports.
    11-25-08 10:09 AM
    Sounds like user error...my curve only shows the connection screen when I'm doing upgrades or software installs. Maybe its connected and u don't realize it. Were u able to launch the media browser tool?

11-25-08 12:34 PM
    We can rule out user error. lol I'm an IT for a business class ISP in my hometown. I promise you I would know if it was connected. I have checked the serial ports in device manager everytime I have plugged the phone in and they show no activity. I assume by media browser you mean the Desktop Manager. I can open DM but it will not detect the phone because the computer itself will not detect the phone.
    11-25-08 01:50 PM
    Uninstall the pearl OS then Download and install the curve OS. Reboot and try that. What OS did they upgrade you to?
    11-25-08 02:07 PM
    Uninstall the pearl OS then Download and install the curve OS. Reboot and try that. What OS did they upgrade you to?
    The OS version is 4.5.0.89. How do I go about uninstalling the Pearl OS? I take it you are talking about on the PC, not the phone?
    11-25-08 02:26 PM
    I had the same issue but old curve to new curve. I got it to work by plugging my new curve in to the computer and doing a reset while still plugged in (alt+rt shift+ del). Let me know if this works for you or if it was just a fluke when it worked on mine.

11-25-08 02:41 PM
    I had the same issue but old curve to new curve. I got it to work by plugging my new curve in to the computer and doing a reset while still plugged in (alt+rt shift+ del). Let me know if this works for you or if it was just a fluke when it worked on mine.

I tried it, but no dice. The charge icon still only stays on a few seconds and then disappears, like it's trying to read it but can't.
    11-25-08 02:49 PM
    Ok sorry for the delay. Assuming your on xp, go to control panel then add/remove programs make sure there's only on there (DM). If two are there uninstall from there, then reboot. Download the software again ( I have found that downloading to the desktop and saving then closing out the best way) then after download is complete hit close. Then reopen it and run it from the desktop.
    11-25-08 03:55 PM
    Ok, problem solved. I decided to take the phone back to the store again and upon receiving a new one, I noticed the pins on the usb port were different. I dont know how it was able to connect at the store before (dumb luck) but when I got this one home, it worked on the first try. Now I just need to get it to update to 4.5! Thanks to everyone for the help. Crackberry is great!
    11-25-08 06:22 PM
    Glad to hear you got it. Us crackheads all try to help where we can....lol

11-25-08 07:28 PM
    We can rule out user error. lol I'm an IT for a business class ISP in my hometown. I promise you I would know if it was connected. I have checked the serial ports in device manager everytime I have plugged the phone in and they show no activity. I assume by media browser you mean the Desktop Manager. I can open DM but it will not detect the phone because the computer itself will not detect the phone.
    That said, could have been still been user error based on the way Global Crossing's IT guys are...I hate having to call them up and explain to them they're accessing their router through our backup DSL connection!! Clueless
    12-05-08 12:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD