My curve seems to be running very very slow... I have deleted all the non necessary apps and cleaned the browser histroy, etc...

Is there a freeware app that is good at speeding it up?
    jeremy3460 likes this.
    10-06-08 03:41 PM
    Have you tried a reset or battery pull?

alt+rt shift+del
    10-06-08 03:46 PM
    check out the memory link in my signature
    10-06-08 03:47 PM
    I would recommend following the link that Blueberry gave you. It should enable you to increase your free memory and hopefully speed up your device
    10-06-08 03:51 PM
    also diezel make sure you are properly closing out apps by hitting menu then close and not the end or back key you can see what you have running by hitting alt then the back key
    10-06-08 04:29 PM
    alt+LGLG

clears the event log for the day. im a tech at vzw and usually that helps in a phone running faster. any other questions feel free to send pm
    10-06-08 05:55 PM
    When I first got my Curve I just used it. After having some connection issues T-Mobile gave me suggestions.

1) Set the auto off/on to shut the phone off for at least 5 minutes a day. I have it set to shut off at midnight for 5 minutes.

2) ALT--LGLG to clear the even log. I do this at least once a week.

3) I pull the battery at least once a week.

4) I clear the browser cache at least once a week.

My Curve seems to run fine.
    10-06-08 07:49 PM
    yes, I have to try some of these ideas....my 8900 is very sloooooo

and after clearing the browser cache, I do get a speed boost....

will running the native browser and Opera mini....not at the same time, but on the same device, hurt performance?

or is it better to just pick one?

allen

thanks
    04-14-10 12:10 PM
    yes, I have to try some of these ideas....my 8900 is very sloooooo

and after clearing the browser cache, I do get a speed boost....

will running the native browser and Opera mini....not at the same time, but on the same device, hurt performance?

or is it better to just pick one?

allen

thanks
    Haha. You have a 8900. It shouldnt hurt it too much.
    But in my experience the 8900 is a fast device compaired to my 8330m.
    When i had bolt and opera running along side with bb browser my phone randomly reboots.

So yes. It shouod hurt performance a bit.
    Jut i wouldnt worry too much.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-10 03:28 PM
    In browser options>browser config>UNcheck support javascript and use backround images, and set the "emulation mode" to microsoft ie.in general properties UNcheck enable javescript location support.
    In the sms options>general options>sms and e mail inboxes>set to seperate.
    This helped me + the other things mentioned. If I let my browser cache get above 2500 it starts lagging bad.

04-15-10 07:47 AM
    Under my metro pcs 8330m it gives me the option to chose metro web or internet browser under browser configurations. Same goes for general browser under general properties. What is this for?

And yes disableling background images javascript and all that stuff does make pages load a lot faster incase any really fresh crackies are in here. What it does is cut all the colors and pictures from loading. Which will make the full rendering of web pages take a lot longer do to the complexities in colors and images.

If you want to view an image or images on the page you can always enable it right from the page your on by hitting the berry key to the left of the track ball. the option to view image/all images is there.

04-17-10 12:06 AM
    also diezel make sure you are properly closing out apps by hitting menu then close and not the end or back key you can see what you have running by hitting alt then the back key
    I know this thread is really old but I'm new to the Bb that's how I've been "closing" apps and such ill have to close them the correct way and try to notice the difference. Thanks for the tip!

04-18-10 09:36 PM
    Just tried that now. Very helpful, thanks.
    05-25-10 09:37 PM
    Great suggestions!

But beware of the bad behaved app(s) also.

There are certain apps out there that regardless of memory used, or even 'active running' have integrated themselves into your phone. For example into menus, options, conditions (like taking a picture or posting an email) etc.

I noticed for example deleting "loopt" from my 9700 made it much quicker even though 'kisses' said it wasn't loaded.

ALSO if you know what you are doing delete all unnecessary apps, and bbOS modules from the phone not only because of memory but because of 'integration'. Be wary of any apps that pull data.

Get programs like memory monster, smartwifi, and Kisses to help optimize continual usage of your blackberry as it runs.

Very important to back up your phone and reload it (like windows OS) every so often if you load and delete many apps. Don't know why but it optimizes blackberrys somehow (have seen speed increases immediately). Choose your version and submodules of your OS carefully. Archive or delete infrequently used apps. Use wifi over 3G when possible. As this poster says below Javascript is not your friend for speed, but is for compatibility with many web pages. Double edge sword. Also turn image download resolution to low.

In the end blackberrys just don't have a good OS or hardware to compete with same model year Iphones or android based phones. They have better keyboard, security, corporate integration, battery life, and shortcuts/efficient user interface - and much better music playback sound quality from its speaker and from headphones than any ipod related product.

But the wifi sucks (no 802.11n), the latest models are tied to AT&Ts effed up new data plans that screw the users because they lack bandwidth capacity, the screens are obsolete and power hungry, the browser is slow (even with OS6), their OS and API are outdated and a b itch to develop for (like programming Windows 7 with win 3.1 API), their new Desktop Manager doesn't even support wifi connections or Windcomm x64 bluetooth support (x64 being around for years), they have no linux support, and are rapidly losing market share.

Their days are numbered unless they wake up and use much more powerful phones with a completely overhauled OS (maybe QNX in a phone). Keep the keyboard on some models, the blinking led, the efficient user interface shortcuts and then surpass android based phones for hardware features (see EVO), end exclusivity with AT&T for newest models, and RIM might have a chance if they can pull all this off in 6 to 12 months. Lastly fire the developers and hardware engineers that are keeping RIM tied to its pager roots and hire some real talent. Unless you do this first the aforementioned improvements will be impossible with the "talent" they have now. Of course this will take management with balls to chart this course, and as we can see from the 'single axel' of a phone the 9800 turned out to be, it doesn't look like they will even qualify for the 2012 Olympics of phones. Although they may still be competing in some local shows.

And its not just me saying these things. Press article after article, along with Investors jumping ship combined with their stock rating being severly lowered. They touted the 9800 as their savior, but its already obsolete from a around year ago compared to android phones then.

The hardware would be easier - faster cpu, better bigger battery, large amoled screen, 8mp cameras, extra fast ram, compacity for the new SDXC memory chip along with internal storage, hdmi out, bluetooth 3.0 support and usb 3.0 support, 802.11bgn support, maybe a function expansion slot and worldwide cdma/gsm/4G/lte etc support and an antenna that works unlike apples new iphone 4g. Now the software, OS, API needs a TON of work just to be half what android is or ios4, especially if its to woo developers. There are so many back *sswords routines, brick walls, misguided or completely missing APIs compared to the other companys OSs that I would be ashamed if it were an OS I developed. Its a good thing they bought QNX. Its an amazingly quick and efficient OS. But I don't know if RIM has the time and talent to bring it to bear on new kick *** (as yet undreamed of) blackberries before android really takes over. After all what I just described RIM should make is already on HTC's with android 3 roadmap (minus the blackberry keyboard and QNX). Its obvious HTC and Google have the talent and their management has the balls for this market.

HP

In browser options>browser config>UNcheck support javascript and use backround images, and set the "emulation mode" to microsoft ie.in general properties UNcheck enable javescript location support.
    In the sms options>general options>sms and e mail inboxes>set to seperate.
    This helped me + the other things mentioned. If I let my browser cache get above 2500 it starts lagging bad.

Last edited by heartspeace; 08-22-10 at 03:25 AM.
    08-22-10 03:02 AM
    I have a hybrid and I clear my event log every once and a while. I also try to avoid multi-tasking. I shut off the browser when I am not using it, I shut off apps that I do not use, I only have one app on while its on standby mode(Trilloan, to receive my Instant Messages). Do this and you will notice a speed increase while using it.

08-22-10 09:43 AM
    I heard on the Storm if you get rid icons on the "main" page it helps if you put less used ones into folders. Would this have any affect at all on a curve?
    12-21-10 07:30 AM
    my edge seems to move slow and takes very long to send a message....what ca i do to stop this?
    11-21-12 03:15 PM
    i have a curve 8520 by the way
    11-21-12 03:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD