Here's a tip for water damage, alt or otherwise. This will work on most electronics.

When it goes in the water, get the battery out as quick as possible and leave it powerless. If it is salt water then hopefully the device did not have too powerful of a battery. Salt water isn't as conductive as metal so lower power devices won't be harmed as much.

Next, make sure you always keep some alcohol in the medicine cabinet, the 99% pure stuff. Get it ready.

Open the device up completely. Put it in a bowl and drown it in the alcohol. Then swish it around to get all the water away from it.

Take it out of the owl and pour some more alcohol over it just to be safe. Optionally, you can use a toothbrush and scrub between the legs of the components wile it's in the alcohol.

Let it dry COMPLETELY and then power it up.

Just make sure the alcohol is the 99% stuff or you run the risk of leaving impurities and not doing the device any good.

This isn't a 100% guaranteed solution, but it could help. I work for a electronics manufacturer and we deal with a lot of high tech stuff like this. As the boards come off the assembly line we inspect them and then wash them in alcohol, so that's how I know it won't hurt it.

But the damage may have already been done before that point, but at least you can try to resurrect it. And this will remove the nasties of the salt water and stop the corrosion as well. Just get in there with a toothbrush and scrub it.
    This is something I would'nt want, A Drunken BB
    07-12-08 10:29 PM
    Use a hair drier to speed up the drying process

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-08 10:33 PM
    Well we wash entire circuit boards with alcohol right off the assembly line so I wouldn't worry about it. Also, being that it just went for a swim in water, I don't think it could do any more harm.

Also, alcohol will immediately displace the water which is why I would choose it myself. I am not a fan of waiting when something like this happens. I am an instant gratification kinda guy when it comes to tech.
    07-12-08 11:34 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD