I hoep some one can please help me.,I went on my jetski today and i let my friend hold my phone little did i know he wouldnt put it in a bag and when i went to look at it it was a little wet n had a fooged up screen, at the time it was one but when i saw it was off i imediatley tok out the battery n dried it out. i put the battery back in 15 mintues late n it wouldnt turn on it would vibrate as soon as the battery was conected and my indicator light was blue osmehitng i never saw b4 and my flash for the camera lit up also, its now been like 8 hours n i tried with a diff battery indicator light it blue and the flash still goes what does this mean can it bee fixed should i wait longer for it to dry. i read some where to rinse it with fesh water is it too late to do that because i was in the ocean someone please help me because it is a buisness phone thank you.
    07-12-08 12:26 AM
    Sorry to say but if your phone suffered salt water damage, its toast.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-08 12:28 AM
    I hate to say it but I hope you had it backed up. Salt water is a killer. YOu may wait a couple more days and see if it works but I wouldn't bet on it. Looks like you or your company will need to buy a new one. Good luck and welcome to CB.
    07-12-08 12:32 AM
    And while it is drying out take the battery, SIM and memory card out and stop
    turning it on. Let it sit for a few days before seeing if it works again.
    07-12-08 12:36 AM
    Sounds like if it was able to be saved you blew it by putting the battery back in too soon. Gotta make sure the berry is bone dry before puttin' the juice back to her.

07-12-08 12:37 AM
    I agree with the previous posts, but I've heard that after taking the batt and sim out let it sit in a bowl of rice. That will help absorb the moisture. HTH
    07-12-08 01:09 AM
    When you out it in the bowl of rice, make sure that the rice is NOT cooked!

07-12-08 04:19 AM
    And while it is drying out take the battery, SIM and memory card out and stop
    turning it on. Let it sit for a few days before seeing if it works again.
    Sounds like if it was able to be saved you blew it by putting the battery back in too soon. Gotta make sure the berry is bone dry before puttin' the juice back to her.

I agree with the previous posts, but I've heard that after taking the batt and sim out let it sit in a bowl of rice. That will help absorb the moisture. HTH
    When you out it in the bowl of rice, make sure that the rice is NOT cooked!

sorry folks, but no giving him false hope. salt water exposure. huge difference. even if he dried it out, the salts have already corroded it beyond repair.
    07-12-08 04:44 AM
    I have to agree salt water will beat the heck out of electronics.
    07-12-08 04:48 AM
    not to mention the increased conductivity of an ionized solution due to high salt content. salt water will immediately short any unprotected electrical component, then corrode the circuitry beyond repair.

drying it then putting the battery back in was the worst thing you could do. your only chance was to remove the battery immediately and get it under running fresh water rinse before the saltwater began to dry... clean thoroughly and pray. and even then your chances are not much better than nil.
    07-12-08 05:02 AM
    Time so strip some of the parts (lens, screen, case) and give the rest of it a viking funeral............NO CPR will revive it from a serious salt bath...... saline and electrical parts (especially exposed E-parts) do not mix well at all......sorry

07-12-08 08:21 AM
    In the meantime, while waiting on your replacement phone, go find your friend and toss him into the salt water long enough for him to corrode! That will at least make you feel better....
    07-12-08 09:46 AM
    Dang Kathryn, you are vicious Revenge is sweet
    07-12-08 09:52 AM
    And this is why I always say never take electronic devices near water no matter how large or small the amount is. I don't even get my electronics near beverages. Liquids + electronics = bad news. You end up with expensive paper weights.

07-12-08 11:49 AM
    First things first....

Get rid of your friend. ;-)
    07-12-08 12:21 PM
    And this is why I always say never take electronic devices near water no matter how large or small the amount is. I don't even get my electronics near beverages. Liquids + electronics = bad news. You end up with expensive paper weights.

Agreeed, the wife went to give our new puppy a bath yesterday. She is small enough to put in the sink at this time, so you know her BB was? YES! on the edge of the sink. Not even 2 seconds after I moved it well away, that entire area was sprayed down while bathing the dog.

07-12-08 12:26 PM
    Take apart what you can on your phone and blowdry it with a hair dryer... Don't know about the bb but it worked like a charm with one of my older phones that landed in the potty!!! Good luck...

07-12-08 12:26 PM
    I've never experienced salt water damage. I do know that you could stick it in a bowl of rice and that will soak up the water. Make sure to take your battery out. Try to leave the phone off for about 24 hours.
    07-12-08 12:30 PM
    Take apart what you can on your phone and blowdry it with a hair dryer... Don't know about the bb but it worked like a charm with one of my older phones that landed in the potty!!! Good luck...

Actually using a hair dryer is prob not the best idea, Best thing to to do is let it air dry for 24-48 hours. Forced air can push water into an area and damage it. Although, sounds like you got lucky and it worked for you.
    07-12-08 12:30 PM
    IT IS TOAST......
    07-12-08 12:34 PM
    First things first....

Get rid of your friend. ;-)
    Thats harsh... just ask your friend to pay replacement cost.
    07-12-08 06:51 PM
    Here's a tip for water damage, alt or otherwise. This will work on most electronics.

When it goes in the water, get the battery out as quick as possible and leave it powerless. If it is salt water then hopefully the device did not have too powerful of a battery. Salt water isn't as conductive as metal so lower power devices won't be harmed as much.

Next, make sure you always keep some alcohol in the medicine cabinet, the 99% pure stuff. Get it ready.

Open the device up completely. Put it in a bowl and drown it in the alcohol. Then swish it around to get all the water away from it.

Take it out of the owl and pour some more alcohol over it just to be safe. Optionally, you can use a toothbrush and scrub between the legs of the components wile it's in the alcohol.

Let it dry COMPLETELY and then power it up.

Just make sure the alcohol is the 99% stuff or you run the risk of leaving impurities and not doing the device any good.

This isn't a 100% guaranteed solution, but it could help. I work for a electronics manufacturer and we deal with a lot of high tech stuff like this. As the boards come off the assembly line we inspect them and then wash them in alcohol, so that's how I know it won't hurt it.

But the damage may have already been done before that point, but at least you can try to resurrect it. And this will remove the nasties of the salt water and stop the corrosion as well. Just get in there with a toothbrush and scrub it.
    07-12-08 08:06 PM
    good luck with the alcohol. i've never heard of that solution but the last thing i would do with my phone after dunking it in water would be to dunk it in more liquid...
    07-12-08 10:22 PM
    Agreed- I have heard of alcohol on a Q-tip to clean battery contacts if there is slight corrosion on them. corrosion is not good for battery life either.
    07-12-08 10:26 PM
    I've heard of the alcohol method before, but it's not promoted around here as heavily as rice.
    07-12-08 10:27 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD