Hey, so I was using my BB 8320 last night in the rain, and the keyboard crapped out. I didn't realize these things were so sensitive to water. The trackball still works for scrolling functions, but the 'push' function, keyboard, all the other buttons aren't working. The phone has no warranty, was bought unlocked, no coverage, so don't recommend that I return it anywhere or try to have it fixed.

What I'm wondering is if I can take it apart, replace the keyboard with a new one from a 'donor' and expect it to work, or does the water issue go deeper with those stupid sensors on the phone? It didn't get soaked or anything; the front got a little damp from some rather heavy rain.
    02-24-09 06:11 PM
    I guess if I had no morals whatsoever I could go to BestBuy and 'buy' a new one, swap over the new, branded cover and all associated bits to mine, and return it.....lol.
    02-24-09 06:12 PM
    cnn.cn, you can order new parts.

No one could really tell you what was damaged from the water. It could have damaged a part that replacing the keyboard would do nothing to fix. The keyboards are pretty cheap though.
    02-24-09 06:14 PM
    Other sites are bbenriched.com or horizonwireless.com as well as ebay if you want them a little quicker.....
    02-24-09 06:18 PM
    Hmm, well I just bought a complete new housing for mine off ebay that includes the keyboard, maybe I should wait till it arrives and see if that works before I do something desperate.
    02-24-09 06:24 PM
    It wouldn't hurt to take the battery out and check the water sensor stickers and make sure that it wasn't just the keyboard that was affected by the rain. Sometimes inside water damage can take a while to show up. Better safe than sorry I would think.

Glad to hear you found a new housing so quickly. Welcome to Crackberry!

~Jazzi~

02-24-09 06:34 PM
    I would take the battery out and drop it in a bag of rice for a day or two to see if it helps. Usually this is done right after exposure to water and it helps some folks. I am not sure what it would do in your case but it wont hurt. Your up and running so......

anything to help get the extra moisture out.
    02-24-09 06:35 PM
    The rice trick does work, you should have removed the battery as soon as possible, but give the rice trick a try anyway...
    02-24-09 06:37 PM
    If you have some of them little silica bags that come in food products, shoes etc toss them in there as well for good measure
    02-24-09 06:46 PM
    Alright, I took it all apart and threw it all in a bag of rice. I'll try it tomorrow. If not, I've got a new 8310 beside me and I'll swap the keyboard thing over.
    02-24-09 09:04 PM
    I have reported this before but this happened with my Pearl and a local repair shop cleaned it with some sort of chemical and brought it back to life. You could ask around and see if anyone in your town offers this, it only cost $20 to have done. I tried the rice trick for 3 days before that to no avail.
    Tp

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-09 09:14 PM
    I have a beer damaged Blackberry. Screen works fine. Keyboard and all buttons do not. Scroll ball did work at one point (not pushing down though) but now that's stopped.

Did you have any luck with replacing the keyboard? I tried the rice and even as someone else suggested in the oven @ ~150 degrees for a couple minutes. No luck on the keyboards.

Wondering if I should try rinsing it in distilled water as someone said to flush out any of the contaminants.
    06-08-10 11:18 AM
    Update: All buttons started working after ~4 days of air dry. Awesome huh?!
    06-16-10 02:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD