So having a contract not up until December of 09. I couldn't deal with my Pearl 8130. Great device, but not for me (I type too many URL's and drive mappings for a SureType device). I needed a better phone. Was I rationalizing a Storm, or a Tour? No, I just wanted a Curve.
    It's been out for a year, finding a good one shouldn't be an issue. Right?
    Scoured Craigslist. Called people, emailed others. Most people don't bother to respond.

I am starting to hate CL as much as ebay.

Dimwits: If you sell it, take the ad down, call or reply back. Jeesh.

1st try: Met someone at a Starbucks for a meet and sale. Planned on looking at the phone, convincing the guy I need to call in the ESN to make sure it's clean, and then hand the guy money or bargain with him based on actual condition vs. advertised condition.
    Guy shows up with a brand new looking Verizon branded box. Good so far.
    Open it up after exchanging pleasantries, and ugh. Screen wasn't scratched. Well that too, there were hundreds of scratches. It was also gouged with what was probably a knife. Or it slid down a gravel path face down for hundreds of yards with a 250 lb load on top of it. Trackball was almost dead. And the battery wasn't charged. It could have been dead since we couldn't make it last more than a minute after it booted...after charging it for a half our at the Starbucks outlet.
    I still felt bad for summoning up a resounding "No." Friendly about it, wished him luck, and then parted.

2nd try:Someone called me back after responding to a CL ad. He wanted to meet at his house. Awfully trusting, so I felt a little better about that. If someone wanted to open the door to their home to a stranger, maybe it's an honest guy.
    He didn't have anything except for the phone, battery and a SD card already fitted. He was also a little modest about the condition, talking about scratches. When I finally saw it, it looked brand new. Just missing the peel off the stickers on the screen and battery door.
    Success!! ??? Nope. He agreed for me to call in the ESN before the transaction. After a 10 minute hold, I get a negative on that.
    ARRGGGGHHH!
    Left, hurriedly.

3rd try: This time, it was myself that was unprepared. Met someone at a massive outdoor shopping center. I used to frequent it for lunch everyday. But I got lost since I haven't been there in years. Didn't arrive with cash, and I couldn't find my bank's ATM. The guy called was asking where I was, and he was very patient and forgiving. Finally met with him, with cash in hand and high hopes.
    He presented the package. Original VZ box (doesn't matter to me, but okay), every accessory and print out. Everything.
    The device itself. A few scratches on the battery door, but it was fantastic. Great LCD, fully charged battery, no other scratches.
    Also, this guy agreed to my ESN requirement. 10 minutes on hold, and the cheerful VZ BB tech, said, "You're good to go. ESN is clean."

Finally! After installing all the apps I need, and then some, I still have oodles of free space.
    BWAHAHAHAHA. I now feel normal.
    05-15-09 10:59 PM
    Congrats on finally getting your Curve!

From what I've been through, Craigslist does take some time and effort if you want to get a good device that you're happy with. I previously had an 8800 which I got off Craigslist. It wasn't in the best condition physically, but software, battery wise, basically all the innards, it was perfect. I decided to make a project out of it. It was blue, scratched up, had a DIRTY trackball, and crappy keyboard. I went on cnn.cn, ordered about $70 in parts. It wasn't that bad of a deal considering I traded an old WinMo phone I don't use. I made that thing look brand new. It was awesome. I posted pics btw in the 8800 section if you're interested. Anyways, that was my little CL story.
    05-15-09 11:05 PM
    Congrats on finally getting your Curve!

From what I've been through, Craigslist does take some time and effort if you want to get a good device that you're happy with. I previously had an 8800 which I got off Craigslist. It wasn't in the best condition physically, but software, battery wise, basically all the innards, it was perfect. I decided to make a project out of it. It was blue, scratched up, had a DIRTY trackball, and crappy keyboard. I went on cnn.cn, ordered about $70 in parts. It wasn't that bad of a deal considering I traded an old WinMo phone I don't use. I made that thing look brand new. It was awesome. I posted pics btw in the 8800 section if you're interested. Anyways, that was my little CL story.
    You are right. CL has it's pros and cons like any other method of selling or trading. However, I still prefer it, since I can see the actual condition of the phone.
    I'll try to find your post. I got to either just buy a battery door for the Pearl and sell it, or perhaps keep it around for a project like you did.
    (My Pearl has a couple of nicks on the top)
    05-15-09 11:28 PM
    Lol. I actually like this story. Sounded like u were on a secret mission or something. Enjoy your hard earned 8330. And have fun on the forums

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-09 12:10 AM
    Jeeeeeze...glad things turned around for ya

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-09 12:19 AM
    You are right. CL has it's pros and cons like any other method of selling or trading. However, I still prefer it, since I can see the actual condition of the phone.
    I'll try to find your post. I got to either just buy a battery door for the Pearl and sell it, or perhaps keep it around for a project like you did.
    (My Pearl has a couple of nicks on the top)
    Here's the thread, to save you some trouble.

There's plenty of high quality before and after and some in between pics. I had fun with it.
    05-16-09 12:19 AM
    Yeah I definitely am weary of buying stuff of CL. But I'm comfortable selling on there lol
    05-16-09 12:23 AM
    Here's the thread, to save you some trouble.

There's plenty of high quality before and after and some in between pics. I had fun with it.
    Nice transplant! Very clean and professional.
    05-16-09 02:44 AM
    Nice transplant! Very clean and professional.
    Thanks! I was really happy with the way it turned out. The 8800 was surprisingly very easy to take apart, much simpler than the Curve, IMO.
    05-16-09 02:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD