Hello everyone. I have been doing days and days of research and finally decided to poll users in these forums.

At my new job I've decided to upgrade to a smartphone, and the best options available to me are through Alltel (due to corporate account) the Blackberry Curve 8330 and the HTC PPC 6800 (tytn).

I was curious if anyone here used both, compared them, or had insight (realizing this forum will be biased some).

In my searching some of the key things I'm debating are; the amount of freezes and sluggishness some are experiencing with the 6800, the inability (initially at least) to edit Office documents on the 8330, messaging and multimedia features of both, battery life of each, and the keyboard of the 8330 being small.

It seems it becomes a comparison of ability to do more things with the 6800 vs. being able to do things well and with few to no hassles on the 8330.

Please, insight is desired.
    05-18-08 09:22 PM
    Well the biggest question is actually not about the editing of the files, it's of the stability, the question you first have to ask is, how stable you want your phone to be, if you don't mind having to reboot your phone every day to every other day due to glitches, go with the 6800, if you want a much more stable phone, go with the BB. Then when you factor in the fact that it just works....the BB would still win. With battery life, the BB would win as well, especially with the abnormally long standby time.
    05-18-08 09:35 PM
    Thanks, pretty much sticks to the "amount of features vs. reliability" conclusion I had come to.

Bump. Anyone else have any feedback, I'd like to make a decision soon, preferably people that have used both?
    05-19-08 10:48 AM
    Thanks, pretty much sticks to the "amount of features vs. reliability" conclusion I had come to.

Bump. Anyone else have any feedback, I'd like to make a decision soon, preferably people that have used both?
    Thanks for this thread...I'm in a similar boat. I am a current Sprint Mogul user (stop laughing) and I'm considering purchasing either the Curve or waiting til 09/2008 and getting the new Bold. On Saturday, I was able to get the Sprint version of the Curve in my hands - as a Sprint staffer at a retail store here in the Bay Area said all their sales reps got them - and it seemed quite small, light & solid. He wouldn't really let me fiddle with the device long enough to get a good impression of its features.

I have heard pretty universally positive reviews of the 8330, but virtually no feedback from users who may have come from the HTC Tytn/Titan platform. Any feedback would be appreciated, and for purposes of this discussion, remarks on the Bold are welcome as well. Thanks in advance.
    05-19-08 11:10 AM
    I've used the Tytn not all it's cracked up to be. WinMo is a ****ty OS has the potential to be powerful but only if you know how to fully unleash it. And even then it's still not stable
    05-19-08 11:13 AM
    I have used both.

The Windoze OS is definatly more powerful, but has all of the instability problems we know and love. And the HTC has lots more methods of input, which should make it more powerful as well.

But after trying a Blackberry, I must say that it is really the best OS for a phone/PDA device. While Windoze may be more powerful, I honestly did not use much of that power. I can very rapidly use one hand to do anything I need to do on my Blackberry. Try doing anything on a Windoze device with just one hand.

Were I designing a phone/PDA, I admit that I would be tempted to design it around the Windoze OS. But having used both OS's, I can say that the Blackberry OS is far superior for this particular application.
    05-19-08 06:03 PM
    Thanks for youri feedback.

I am curiious about what apfpear to be a couple of "holes" in the BB 3rd party sofftware catalog. I'm lookinrg for: an emailclient that supports threaded SMS

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-08 07:52 PM
    Is wifi wanted/needed? You lose that with the Curve.

I personally would chose the Curve. You mentioned 'Tilt' in the parenthesis, but that is not the Tilt. If it were the tilt, then I would say there may be a battle there.

The 2MP cam on the Curve is better IMO.

More stability with the Curve.

Also Alltel's Cuvre color is just sexii to me!

05-19-08 08:05 PM
    What do you mean "that is not the tilt"...I mean, correct it isn't AT-T's exact version, but the phone itself is more or less the same...I'm confused by your brief comment.
    05-19-08 08:09 PM
    The PPC 6800 is equivalent to at&t's 8525 or better yet, Sprint's Mogul, not Tilt.

The tilt actually tilts when you slide the screen out.

Click here.
    05-19-08 08:14 PM
    ah, so your distinguishing is really only in that one hardware feature? I presume capabilities and software possibilities and reliability and sluggishness remain the same.
    05-19-08 08:20 PM
    I don't know if Im going 2 be of any help at all, but I have used the TILT in the past. I used it for around 6 months and now i have a bb curve. At first I did like the tilt a lot, it had lots of stuff, it did almost anything i wanted it 2 do but at the end of the day I was not completely happy with the phone, i found my self looking at other phone on the internet every single day, even though i was not going 2 get any other phone (yeah right, cell phones are like a addiction i could say) I knew I had a "great" phone with me but it was not enough.
    Before the tilt i had and iphone, and that a story Im not even going 2 tell, then the tilt, then got a curve but for some reason at that time i did not like it, went back to the tilt, then a blackjack 2 and now im back again 2 a CURVE, which I now loveeeee.
    The thing that I REALLY, REALLY REALLY like about this phone is the battery life. The tilt was a great phone but what i was suppose 2 do with it every-time it ran out of battery in the middle of the day?

PD-Sorry if my reply its hard 2 understand, english it is not my first language.
    05-19-08 09:01 PM
    No they are lots of differences... and that was the obvious feature I could point out to show a difference...

You wouldn't be able to get the Tilt, but it has more than double the amount of memory. Battery life is lower/less on the Tilt as well. The tilt has a 3MP camera and the 6800 has a 2MP camera.

More, but just read the comparison link.
    Last edited by Jayden0606; 05-20-08 at 09:15 AM.
    05-20-08 09:12 AM
    Here is my experience;

I used a Treo 700w/700wx for a few years then switched to a Blackberry 8830 and loved it but our IT guys could not get it to work with our email. Had to go back to a windows device and chose the Verizon xv6800. Had this phone for 3-4 months and hated it; huge battery drain, I did not like the slider, poor bluetooth, could not use effectively one handed for phone dialing, constant freezes. During this time I kept researching how to implement the use of Blackberry with my work email, found the answer and have been using the Verizon Curve for a few days and I am back to stress free email and phone use. Final thoughts get the Blackberry you won't regret it. FYI my wife who is not very tech minded at all has the Blackberry Pearl and loves hers and has never had any major issues or problems.
    05-20-08 09:30 AM
    i just recently switched from an att 8525 (one model down from tilt) to an att 8310 curve. i've never looked back. i never really had issues with the windows mobile, in fact after getting mobile 6 i was pretty pleased with stability. dont get me wrong, it had issues, but they seemed to have gotten better. the blackberry is much more stable it seems, although there sure are a lot of battery pulls listed as fixes! lol. battery life was a major concern for me as with my 8525 i couldnt go but about 8 hours without being dead in the water. that was checking email every hour, no bluetooth, and almost no browsing. the touch screen was "neat" at first, but soon became a pain. the size of the htc product in comparison to the curve is worth it almost on its own. as far as editing word docs and such, honestly, that was a feature i thought would be helpful. it wasnt. you cant really do editing on a mobile phone, and as i'm almost always near my laptop, i just didnt need the feature anymore. there are a lot more custom things you can do with windows mobile, but if you're not careful you can really screw some things up majorly! oh, and the biggest thing for me once i got the curve was the email! i love receiving it on my phone before outlook gets it! lets me stay active in what i'm doing at the moment. if i need a quick reply, i use the phone, if its something i need to sit down for, i at least know whats waiting for me when i get back to my office. battery life, size, reliablilty, email, these all came into play with my decision. and honestly, most appeared after i had already gotten my curve. knowing what i know now, there's no way i'd go back to anything but a berry!
    05-20-08 02:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD