I have tried searching for some sort of answer to this question and haven't found anything concrete enough to satisfy me, so heres my question:

I would like to use a VOIP service like skype on my curve 8320.. I am just curious if it's possible to use just the wifi on the phone and use a service like skype? This would save massive amounts of minutes for me and I am just curious if it's at all possible.

I have tried it but still seem to be using minutes when dialing with my skype account so I am not sure if theres a way to make sure skype (IM+ is what i'm using) uses only the wifi on the phone rather than the data and or regular minutes from my tmobile cell phone plan.
    12-21-07 12:29 PM
    get the @ home plan it works with any wifi conetion
    12-21-07 12:32 PM
    I'm not even sure if you have to have the 'At Home wifi plan'. I believe with T-Mobile just having a Linksys wifi router it would work...

That's how mines setup, albeit I've not tried Skype...
    12-21-07 01:45 PM
    I was trying to avoid buying the @home plan because of the xtra $20 a month..
    12-22-07 11:16 AM
    so is there a way to use wifi rather than your minutes?
    12-26-07 01:17 PM
    No.

You can't use the UMA functionality with any provider other than T-Mobile. While their @home service does work over Wi-Fi, it's completely incompatible with anything else including Skype. The big advatange of T-Mobile's offering is that you're getting to use your same phone and same phone number while, if you were to have a seperate SIP or Skype-based phone, you would end up with a seperate non-T-Mobile phone number.
    12-26-07 02:35 PM
  7. allen@cyfordtechnologies.com's Avatar
    so if we ulock the tmobile phone is there no way to change the voip client connection settings from connecting to tmobile to connecting to an differnt provider?
    12-27-07 01:55 PM
  8. allen@cyfordtechnologies.com's Avatar
    so if we unlock the tmobile phone is there no way to change the voip client connection settings from connecting to tmobile to connecting to an differnt provider?
    12-27-07 01:56 PM
    I personally do not know what system they run but I suppose if they use SIM cards and are on a GSM network you should be able to.
    12-27-07 02:00 PM
    you can't use wifi if you are not a hotspot@home subscriber. and you cant use skype calling too through your mobile internet coz your mobile internet cant support the amount of data skype needs to make internet voice calls over your mobile phone. or maybe it would work if you have an unlimited data plan...i guess... lol!
    12-27-07 03:26 PM
  11. allen@cyfordtechnologies.com's Avatar
    you can't use wifi if you are not a hotspot@home subscriber. and you cant use skype calling too through your mobile internet coz your mobile internet cant support the amount of data skype needs to make internet voice calls over your mobile phone. or maybe it would work if you have an unlimited data plan...i guess... lol!
    Yes you can use wifi and voip, it just takes the minuites from your plan, i made it default and its called UMA, (wifi works with any access point) and for the record scype doesnt use that much bandwith at all. but it uses its own proticals which i think can be as low as 8kbps

Vonage on the other hand uses SIP Protical and will probably be around 40kbps (depending on the codec) but after all the overhead itll be around 100kbps.

Also the unlimited data plan does not increase bandwith, it just gives you a flat rate pricing with no usage limits.

Cyford Technologies LLC.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 12-27-07 at 04:57 PM.
    12-27-07 04:52 PM
  12. allen@cyfordtechnologies.com's Avatar
    No.

You can't use the UMA functionality with any provider other than T-Mobile. While their @home service does work over Wi-Fi, it's completely incompatible with anything else including Skype. The big advatange of T-Mobile's offering is that you're getting to use your same phone and same phone number while, if you were to have a seperate SIP or Skype-based phone, you would end up with a seperate non-T-Mobile phone number.
    Your correct but in business i would rather connect my black berry phone to our corporate voip network, that way i can recieve an inside extension and transfer calls and do alot more for free. Do you know if UMA is a standard and is there no way to point it too a differnt server other than t-mobile?
    if if it is unlocked.
    12-27-07 05:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD