Does anyone have any brilliant solutions for voice-activated dial that is not working on a Curve? It will dial numbers but when I say the name of someone in my address book, what it comes back with is not even close!

I've heard that it may have something to do with switching devices (I upgraded from an 8700). Does anyone know? It is very frustrating; I've heard the same complaint from other long-time blackberry users (this is my sixth berry).
    07-06-07 01:53 PM
    Go to options / voice dialling, and check the settings! It works fine on mine, and I use it with an English accent! First voice device I've used that works properly with my accent...
    07-06-07 01:59 PM
    Go to Options>Voice Dialing>Sensitivity. If you are getting too many names, move it towards "Reject More." If you aren't getting enough, shove it towards "Reject Less."

Mine works pretty well on Normal. I can string together "Call first name + last name + number type" (e.g. "Call John Smith mobile") and it picks up most of them on the first shot.
    07-06-07 02:00 PM
    I stopped using it when it wouldn't recognize Yvette or Gustavo. hmm, now i think about it, i have a lot of ethnic names in my address book, that could be why it doesn't work. I just use speed dial for my most dialed calls.

i might have to try the "Call first name + last name + number type" and see if that works for the ones i'm trying to call.
    07-06-07 04:52 PM
    I stopped using it when it wouldn't recognize Yvette or Gustavo. hmm, now i think about it, i have a lot of ethnic names in my address book, that could be why it doesn't work. I just use speed dial for my most dialed calls.

i might have to try the "Call first name + last name + number type" and see if that works for the ones i'm trying to call.
    oh lord, don't tell me that, our family is gustavson......LOL Now I have to go try it.
    07-07-07 07:26 AM
    [QUOTE=blackrose;16117]I stopped using it when it wouldn't recognize Yvette or Gustavo. hmm, now i think about it, i have a lot of ethnic names in my address book, that could be why it doesn't work. I just use speed dial for my most dialed calls.

It will work MUCH better if you sound out such names using actual alphabetical sounds (especially with the vowels). It thinks Yvette is "Wy"vette and you're likely saying "E"vette. With Gustavo pronounce the vowels as long vowels (Goostaavoo). Mine works a lot better than any other voice dialing phone I've ever had...rarely misses, and when it does it usually presents me with two or three options, of which one is always the correct one.

Hope this helps.

LarryMcJ
    07-18-07 06:31 AM
    LarryMcJ, even if you go to options / voice dialing / sensitivity, and changed it to -1 or even less, it's just as bad? I had to drop mine to -1 to 'make it' work better! And now, I actually use the thing...
    07-18-07 06:46 AM
    I'm sort of afraid to mess with the configuration on mine as it hasn't made any mistakes yet :-)

LarryMcJ
    07-18-07 06:48 AM
    Under Options>Languages, there is an option for Voice Dialing Language. Now, I stripped off all language support except US English on my device, but I'm going to assume that there will be other regional settings available, like English (UK) and others, that may improve the responsiveness of your voice dialing. Can anyone try this out and verify it? I tried imitating different accents, and my voice dialing failed miserably. Of course, this might be more a failure of my attempt at an accent than a failure of the software.
    07-20-07 10:23 AM
    Under Options>Languages, there is an option for Voice Dialing Language. Now, I stripped off all language support except US English on my device, but I'm going to assume that there will be other regional settings available, like English (UK) and others, that may improve the responsiveness of your voice dialing.
    When I first received my 8830 I never did see an English language other than US English. Do you know for sure if UK or Canadian English is an option? If so, I may just re-install my OS to get it, and lose the US English, although I think US English is the only choice for typing....or something along those lines
    07-26-07 05:15 PM
    Well, I've tried everything I can think of on mine ... I checked the sensitivity settings and moved them all the way down to -3 ... I verified that English was the language ... and yet when I use the Voice Activiated dialing and say a name (i.e. Todd or Beth), it comes back with "Michael"????? Does fine with numbers, though.
    08-03-07 07:39 AM
    Strange! have Beth try it with her voice, I wonder if it would work. Or, ask anyone else to try it, as a test...
    08-03-07 08:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD