Have a 8320 Curve and because of my job I have to run Windows Vista 64bit Enterprise edition. Has anyone been able to install the desktop manager on this operating system. I've gone through every thread I could find on RIM's site and done everything they suggest but with no success. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Have turned off UAC, shut down (and uninstalled Anti-virus), turned off firewalls and am running as system administrator.
    05-01-08 03:39 PM
    I've heard of a few reports on here that Desktop Manager is incompatible with 64bit.
    05-01-08 03:45 PM
    Can I run 32-bit programs on a 64-bit computer?

Many programs designed for a computer running a 32-bit version of Windows will work on a computer running 64-bit versions of Windows without any changes. However, in some cases there might be differences in performance. If a 32-bit program uses embedded drivers, the drivers might not work in the 64-bit environment. If you have a 64-bit computer, it's best to run programs designed to run on a 64-bit computer.

Typical of Microsoft, upgrade your programs... as if.

Desk Top Manager works fine with Windows XP and Vista 32 bit. As as workaround, can you borrow/rent access to a less handicapped machine for this application?
    05-01-08 03:55 PM
    Try runnig the program in Compatability mode. Check out this link to find out how.

Compatability mode tell the program that it is running under whatever OS you have set it for and tries to create an environment that it backwards compatible with that OS.

I do not run Vista 64 so I have no idea if it will work or not.

The second option would be to ask RIM themselves. After all, they wrote the program.

64 bit OSs are the future just as 16 bit computers were the future a while back. I started on 8 and 12 bit (DEC PDP-8) computers.
    Last edited by Pete6; 05-01-08 at 04:31 PM.
    05-01-08 04:28 PM
    ... I started on 8 and 12 bit (DEC PDP-8) computers.
    Cut my teeth on an 8 bit 8080 CPU, in an hand built Altair. No keyboard, no display, just rows of LED's working their magic.

Hand assembled code, hand loaded into memory and a cassette tape drive for storage.
    Last edited by Stoner; 05-01-08 at 06:10 PM.
    05-01-08 06:05 PM
    Yeah, my first microprocessor was a Motorola 6800 with 256 bytes of RAM in 1977. It was horrid. Then I had 16 years with DEC. Ah yes, those were the days. Man am I glad that they are gone. I just love what is going on today. It changes so fast. I have to THINK!
    05-01-08 06:27 PM
    Nice find from your link...

...Probably the most useful setting to start off with would be to disable the visual themes and desktop composition, if you can't get things working. ...

Altair 8800 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Altair BASIC

Around this time Roberts received a letter from a Seattle company asking if he would be interested in buying its BASIC programming language for the machine. He called the company and reached a private home, where no one had heard of anything like BASIC. In fact the letter had been sent by Bill Gates and Paul Allen from the Boston area, and they had no BASIC yet to offer. When they called Roberts to follow up on the letter he expressed his interest, and the two started work on their BASIC interpreter using a self-made simulator for the 8080 on a PDP-10 minicomputer. They figured they had 30 days before someone else beat them to the punch, and once they had a version working on the simulator, Allen flew to Albuquerque to deliver the program, Altair BASIC (aka MITS 4K BASIC), on a paper tape. The first time it was run, it displayed "Altair Basic," then crashed, but that was enough for them to join; the next day, they brought in a new paper tape and it ran. The first program ever typed in, was "2+2", and up came the "4." Gates soon joined Allen and formed Microsoft, then spelled "Micro-Soft".
    Wasn't long before a terminal and a copy of Microsoft Basic fleshed out the package. I went for the maxed out, 4 Kb memory board.

Back then, we had a Star Trek simulator that used the RF radiated to an AM radio for sound effect.... great phaser and photon torpedo sounds.
    Last edited by Stoner; 05-01-08 at 08:04 PM.
    05-01-08 06:59 PM
    I am currently using Vista Business 64bit and i have had no isses installing DM and doing OS changes and whatever else you would do to your blackberry using the computer.

One thing i do by habit though is always right click and run as administrator even though i am the only user on this computer.

If you would like exact specifications and how i do things on my machine, PM me.

But in short, ive had no issues with 64Bit, any issues i had were user caused.
    05-01-08 07:41 PM
    No problems with DM 4.3 on my Vista 64 install either..
    05-01-08 09:08 PM
    running vista x64 with 4.3 for months with no issues my advice would be to make sure you upgrade to vista x64 service pack 1 through windows update it has fixed alot of minor issues
    05-02-08 07:18 AM
    I am a newbie too all this and I was wandering how to access power point and windows on the phone? And do I have to download it or is it already on the phone?
    05-02-08 08:32 AM
    oh yea I got the curve 8310
    05-02-08 08:33 AM
    Nice find from your link...

Altair 8800 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wasn't long before a terminal and a copy of Microsoft Basic fleshed out the package. I went for the maxed out, 4 Kb memory board.

Back then, we had a Star Trek simulator that used the RF radiated to an AM radio for sound effect.... great phaser and photon torpedo sounds.
    I remember that! It was a kind of theramin. I remeber the Altair too with its S100 bus and CP/M with its horrible BDOS errors.

The DEC-10 I worked on had 150 users connected simultaneously too.

I reckon my 8310 has nearly as much CPU power (well not quite...)
    05-02-08 08:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD