I have had my curve for about 5 months now. At first I was very pleased with her. She was the coolest thing. Internet, email, texts and calls all on one machine. I thought it couldn't get any better.

But after a while the problems started. When calls would be placed I either couldn't hear the person on the other end or they couldn't hear me. Then my responce time became very slow. It sometimes takes minutes to send a simple text because the track ball and keyboard won't respond fast enough.

See I'm no blackberry whiz yet. I still have a lot to learn. I would really love to learn more about this phone. But I do start to wonder if I made the right decision getting my curve. I think to myself, is spending hours in the internet trying to fix my multiple problems worth it? Or would it be easier to just go an get a different phone. I would hate to give up these wonderful applications such as the internet.

Can anyone help me? Should I change to a different blackberry? Should I change to a different smartphone? Should I leave blackberry altogether? Or do I just need a simple update or one simple change to make everything better?

Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated
    01-02-09 04:11 PM
    I would try exchanging it for another. Those problems seem a little odd for that device I think.
    01-02-09 04:16 PM
    5 months is after the warrenty period though isn't it?
    01-02-09 04:18 PM
    Starting out simply, have you tried a battery pull? With the phone on, take the battery out and wait 30 seconds. Then put the battery back in and see if this improves things.

I would also take a look at how much free memory you have. Go to Options>Status and see how much free memory is listed there. If it is below 12 mb then this will certainly slow things down.
    01-02-09 04:18 PM
    Manufacturers warranty is 1 year from time of purchase for new devices.
    01-02-09 04:20 PM
    What OS are you running? Go to your Options/About and it should say v4.X.X.XX. It should be 4.5 or higher. Definitely check your file free.
    01-02-09 04:31 PM
    Ok. So yes I have done multiple battery pulls. With the phone both on and off. Barely any changes. And I yes I have very low free space. So that would mean a bigger media card? My OS is a 4.3. So that would mean an update? And if so then where could I get it an would it be free?

Thank you so much for your input
    01-02-09 04:58 PM
    yes you can update for free go to BlackBerry® Software Updates, down at the bottom of the page click on personal email (I know it has nothing to do with email) then choose your phone which is a 8330 and then follow the directions on the page.
    01-02-09 05:09 PM
    Since you said that your memory is low, do you have a lot of apps? How often is your phone set to delete messages? In the SMS menu go to Options->General Options and at the bottom see what "Keep Messages" is set to. You might have 5 months worth of SMS/MMS/email slowing down your phone. I would recommend setting it to 15 days.

-Rich

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-09 05:17 PM
    Also would be a good idea when you open a web page if you go into your browser options and clean out your cache, push, and cookies. Found out this slows things down a lot. A tip I've also tried is going in and deleting things like sample videos or language files you don't use. I thank the others who've given me those hints to pass along, hope they help!

01-02-09 05:25 PM
    Ok. So yes I have done multiple battery pulls. With the phone both on and off. Barely any changes. And I yes I have very low free space. So that would mean a bigger media card? My OS is a 4.3. So that would mean an update? And if so then where could I get it an would it be free?

Thank you so much for your input
    The media card will not give your phone more memory for apps. Apps will only run on the phones built in memory. The suggestions about cleaning out your email, txt and mms as well as clearing your cache will certainly clear out some of your memory. The number of apps you have loaded as well as the number that are running will also have an effect on your memory. There are specific apps like viigo and facebook that many people have made comments about causing memory problems.

You need to look at what is on your BB in the way of apps. Are there any apps or games that you don't really use that much anymore?

You can also take a look at what is currently running. Press and hold the alt key while hitting the Back button. This will bring up a display of what is currently running on your phone. Messages, BBM, browser, call log, etc. will always run, but the other apps that are running can cause a drain on your memory and your battery.

Alt + L G L G will bring up your EventLogger. Press the menu button and clear the logs. This will also help out your memory.
    Last edited by roeod4; 01-02-09 at 05:36 PM.
    01-02-09 05:33 PM
    There is some good advice here, the same advice I was going to give... but one thing was forgotten:

Go through your messages and delete everything but the last 3-4 days. If you have the message queue filled, it will def. slow things down.

Cleaning out the web broswer cache AAA+++ Do it every couple days, or at the minimum every week.

Also check the OS and keep it up to date.
    01-02-09 05:45 PM
    Ok. Yes I have done many battery pulls. With the phone both on and off. Not much of a noticable difference.

And I have low file space. So what would I have to do to fix it?

I also have a 4.3 OS. How should I update that? And would it be free?

Thanks you so much for your help everyone!!
    01-02-09 05:47 PM
    Ok. Yes I have done many battery pulls. With the phone both on and off. Not much of a noticable difference.

What apps/games do you have installed?
    01-02-09 05:51 PM

Yes, upgrading your OS is free. Since 4.5 is now supported by Verizon, it is recommended you do so. Try doing a search on the proper upgrade procedure here at CB. You will find step by step directions. Also, what is your file free?
    01-02-09 05:51 PM
    You should notice a difference with the new OS. Follow the directions and you wont have a problem installing it at all.

Take the time to get yourself in a routine to "clean up" your Blackberry every week or so. Delete cache/cookies, clean up messages, always check for OS updates.
    01-02-09 05:54 PM
    One thing I've noticed is, regardless of how much file free memory I have and how recently I've reset or batt pulled, if I'm trying to open/reply/type whatever in a text thread that's been going on for a while (same day/over 2 days, a week-- doesn't matter, just needs to have a lot of messages in that thread) that my curve slows down a lot but only while attempting to navigate or type in that thread. I have no idea why, and I hadn't discovered this site at the time I noticed it so I've never bothered finding out. My Solution? After I've read the message, instead of hitting reply, I just back out and compose a new message as a reply. I'm not sure if this is the problem with your phone or not, but if you've been texting someone back & forth all day and your phone starts going really slow when you try to open or reply, try just composing a new msg to the person and thus starting a new thread.

I had my own fix to that way before I discovered this site so I never thought to find out why the curve slows down so much with more messages in a thread-- any of you experts out there know?? Anybody else ever have this problem?

01-02-09 06:22 PM
    One thing I've noticed is, regardless of how much file free memory I have and how recently I've reset or batt pulled, if I'm trying to open/reply/type whatever in a text thread that's been going on for a while (same day/over 2 days, a week-- doesn't matter, just needs to have a lot of messages in that thread) that my curve slows down a lot but only while attempting to navigate or type in that thread. I have no idea why, and I hadn't discovered this site at the time I noticed it so I've never bothered finding out. My Solution? After I've read the message, instead of hitting reply, I just back out and compose a new message as a reply. I'm not sure if this is the problem with your phone or not, but if you've been texting someone back & forth all day and your phone starts going really slow when you try to open or reply, try just composing a new msg to the person and thus starting a new thread.

I had my own fix to that way before I discovered this site so I never thought to find out why the curve slows down so much with more messages in a thread-- any of you experts out there know?? Anybody else ever have this problem?

I have had this issue on every single Blackberry I have ever owned. At first, I got a few replacement devices. Then, I honestly just got used to it. One fix is to go into a messsage from an individual who texts you a lot and press Menu>Remove History.
    01-02-09 06:39 PM
    If you are running Viigo, you can go into options and reduce your page numbers allowed and this,too will free up some serious bytes. Kinda like pruning your trees so they grow better.

01-02-09 07:03 PM
    I don't have many apps. The only ones that I have are the Facebook one, a CNN news app and a google maps app. The only game I have is BrickBreaker.

I did the cookie clean out and deleted all my old texts and email. Cleared my BBM history and even erased old pictures, videos and themes that I no longer use. I also changed my message keep to 15 days.

No I have not gotten around to updating my OS yet. Which I should be doing in the next few hours.

All these small changes have helped a lot. My response time is still a bit slow. But I imagine with the OS update it should be a lot better.

Thank you very much everyone. Keep it coming. It is all very much appreciated.
    01-02-09 09:30 PM
    Also I can't figure out how to get rid of that darn Facebook app. I don't use it there for I don't need it taking up space. I don't see it anywhere in my advanced options>applications.

Any help? Thanks again
    01-02-09 09:34 PM
    5 months is after the warrenty period though isn't it?
    naw, verizon warranties them for 12 months-- just get a new one, you'll be happy
    01-02-09 09:36 PM
    You can't delete Facebook all together, most just hide it. As long as you haven't installed it, it shouldn't cause any problems.

01-03-09 03:11 AM
    torielynn- so im guessing you got a new bb since it says 8830 instead of 8330?
    01-03-09 08:05 AM
    torielynn- so im guessing you got a new bb since it says 8830 instead of 8330?
    Or she selected the wrong model . Seriously, if she returned her original phone because of the very fixable issues, then she is sorta beyond helping...
    01-03-09 08:28 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD