I probably wasted 5 hours total, googling the aforementioned subject. I found a ton of information but it was all very generalized and vague. I found no credible information actually citing the specifics of the lock VZW has on the GPS. The only real piece of info that was remotely satisfying stated that Verizon performs a "sweep" that detects any applications accessing or using the GPS functions, and then disables it...I personally doubt this is the source of the lock but it was worth a mention.

Anyways, I was really hoping someone could enlighten me on the subject. Does anyone actually know what exactly disables the GPS on VZW 8330�s?
    09-30-08 11:15 AM
    Believe it is handled by the Verizon service books that are on the phone. If the service book disallow a certain function, or require an application to gain authorization for a function to work it really can't be defeated.

Someone with more knowledge on them can probably explain it better than me though.
    09-30-08 11:23 AM
    this threads has a lot of great information from respectable CB users!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/ver...-unlock-64400/
    09-30-08 11:29 AM
    Thanks Over and Chrisy.

I have actually read that thread already, its for a petition on the feature. It is also the source of my first CB post

Does anyone have specifics on the VZ disabling of GPS? I am going to research more about service books now to see if I can get any more insight on thier roles...

Thanks again you two!
    09-30-08 11:37 AM
    sure i wasn't sure if you saw that thread; i don't think i ever read the WHOLE thing! lol

if you find a way to unlock the GPS give me a shout! good luck!

and if your sig is from A Beautiful Mind, (which i think it is) love it!
    09-30-08 11:40 AM
    the last part about "waste of Infinitely worse, my time" is from a beautiful mind...I added the first part

I LOVE that movie...
    09-30-08 11:45 AM
    No one else??? Come on you gurus! Surely someone has some more specifics on the lock
    09-30-08 12:03 PM
    I quickly scanned through the posted thread and did not see a link to this much longer, much more detailed thread. If I overlooked it, I apologize for posting it again. If you haven't seen it, put on a fresh pot of coffee and dive into this one: http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/gps...0-update-1279/

It's long, but worth your time if you're serious about GPS issues...
    09-30-08 01:03 PM
    there is a SLIGHT ray of hope on the horizon, Supposedly, Allegedly the storm has 4.7 operating system, and one of the features mentioned on that is GPS that is open on ALL networks giving us hope that gps will be unlocked on 4.7.
    09-30-08 01:13 PM
    I'll be honest with you JJ I am much happier after giving up the chase for an unlock and springing for the Freedom keychain. There has been an un-Godly amount of effort invested in unlocking this thing in the thread Jeff linked to and we are pretty much just waiting it out at this point as madisonjar stated. Don't get me wrong I would still love to have the thing unlocked but I would not regret buying the Freedom even if we could unlock the 8330 tomorrow.
    09-30-08 01:53 PM
    Well, I am really don't have much of a use for the GPS, I am simply satisfying my curiosity. I Read the progress that they were making in terms of getting VZNav info on how it uses the GPS data but there has not been an update since 9/4. I inquired in the thread in hopes that someone has a progress report, if any progress has even been made...

Thanks for all you guys/gals help
    09-30-08 02:06 PM
    I have read the several posts on this (after googling why my GPS won't work) and I am sick and tired of people posting "if you want gps then you should just switch carriers... blah blah blah.

I have serious problems with this mainly:

1. I was TOLD by the Verizon Sales Rep that the GPS would work with Google Maps.
    2. The Verizon marketing and in-store advertising states that the Curve has GPS.
    3. I signed a 2 year contract with verizon with the understanding of 1 and 2.

Therefore Verizon deceived me (consumer) into a 2 year contract after I specifically asked if the GPS would work with Google Maps or if I would have to buy VZNavigator. The answer was Yes it works without VZNav.

Verizon has the right to lock down devices on their network, however they DO NOT have the right to decieve consumers with false advertising.
    10-04-08 11:21 AM
    The 8330 does have GPS, Verizon just locks there's do it can't be used with anything other that VZNavigator. The rep that told you that you could use the GPS with Google Maps had no clue what he/she was talking about (not a big surprise). The GPS being locked out would almost be understandable if once you payed the monthly fee for VZNavigator you could use the GPS application of your preference. You can try getting out of your contracr based on that, but is probably the best you can hope for.

Verizon is know for some deceptive tactic in the past (the limit on "unlimited" data) and they were sued for that. I used to have Verizon for years, but there tactics just became too annoying and their devices too limited since I started travel more overseas. Just a personal choice everyone needs to make for themselves.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-08 12:56 PM
    Does google maps offer turn by turn voice directions?

Where I work supplied me with a Verizon 8330 and paid for the VZNavigator as I am on the road alot. I work in Emergency Management and am often sent out of my local area. So far I have been very pleased with the VZ navigator and I just installed the newest version that is traffic enhanced. Seems worth 9.99 a month when you're already paying a bloody fortune for access anyway.
    Last edited by gmkahuna; 10-04-08 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Had more to say
    10-04-08 01:07 PM
    Does google maps offer turn by turn voice directions?
    not with vzw. it will not give you audible turn by turn directions.

it will give you a list of directions based on what start and end location you type in. sorta like mapquest on a pc.
    10-04-08 01:09 PM
    Thank you Crissy. I don't want to have to look away from the road when I am relying on this to get me to my destination. I guess I'll stick with what they provided.
    10-04-08 01:11 PM
    Thank you Crissy. I don't want to have to look away from the road when I am relying on this to get me to my destination. I guess I'll stick with what they provided.
    no problem.

i've been using VZ NAV for 3 or 4 years and i think it's great! if you have an aux input in your car you can use a cable to plug in your device and you can get the audible directions through your car speakers. i do this if i'm traveling in a heavy traffic area.
    10-04-08 01:14 PM
    I have read the several posts on this (after googling why my GPS won't work) and I am sick and tired of people posting "if you want gps then you should just switch carriers... blah blah blah.

I have serious problems with this mainly:

1. I was TOLD by the Verizon Sales Rep that the GPS would work with Google Maps.
    2. The Verizon marketing and in-store advertising states that the Curve has GPS.
    3. I signed a 2 year contract with verizon with the understanding of 1 and 2.

Therefore Verizon deceived me (consumer) into a 2 year contract after I specifically asked if the GPS would work with Google Maps or if I would have to buy VZNavigator. The answer was Yes it works without VZNav.

Verizon has the right to lock down devices on their network, however they DO NOT have the right to decieve consumers with false advertising.

I have the VZW 8330 and the GPS does work with google maps to 200 meters most of the time.
    10-08-08 04:31 PM
    Google maps is cell tower triangulating for Verizon phones.
    10-08-08 05:11 PM
    Google maps is cell tower triangulating for Verizon phones.
    Thanks. So I've learned after reading so many posts on the issue.
    10-08-08 08:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD