Basically, this guy named Joseph @ Verizon said he was going to call me back about getting me an early upgrade to a BlackBerry (I really need one for Business).

Guess what, he never called back. I called Verizon multiple times since, and they all said they would send this "Joseph" guy an E-mail to call me, and he never did.

Anyways, everybody else I talked to said I have to wait until December of 2009 to upgrade my phone!?!? Of course I can buy the Curve 8330 outright for $400+ from Verizon, but is there a better way?

What do you guys recommend? Should I cancel and try to go with another Carrier (ATT is offering free 8310's right now) or should I stick with verizon and try to figure something out?

Thanks in advance

-Guy who needs Verizon blackberry
    07-03-08 07:21 PM
    Good luck with this man. I tried some early upgrade stuff too and tried a few different angles. I consider myself pretty damn charming and even that didn't help.

If you must have the BB now your options are:
    1. switch carriers
    2. pay retail for it
    3. find one on eBay

I'd give up on your buddy Joseph.
    07-03-08 07:24 PM
    Get one on ebay
    unlocked curves around 225
    unlocked pearl around 185
    07-03-08 07:30 PM
    i would go to your local store. ATT let me upgrade 6 months early. i think they realized that how beneficial it would be for them because i was doubling my plan with the ATT BB plan (unlimited texts and internet for $50).

**Ask to speak to a manager. that is who helped me and most likely the only one that can approve an early upgrade (at least with ATT)
    **Make mention of how long you have been a customer. if that doesnt work, suggest that you have been thinking about switching carriers...that should spark something.

hope that helps a little!! good luck!!
    07-03-08 07:30 PM
    See if you can do a add a line for $9.99 and get a blackberry plan added. This sucks because you have a phone sitting around that you don't use. You could see if a family member will take over your phone and pay that bill and you pay the added line and Blackberry service.
    07-03-08 07:32 PM
    AT&T let me upgrade 5 months early. I told them "either you let me upgrade now, or I'll go to Verizon and you can try to get your "early disconnect fee" from me". They upgraded me on the spot for my Curve.

I've looked on eBay for phones...they're pretty much the same price as the stores. I've never found good deals on BB's on eBay.
    07-03-08 07:34 PM
    also,i would be polite and considerate when you go in to ask for a free upgrade. i work with the public and there is nothing more frustrating when someone comes in and demands something and threatens me. it actually makes me not want to help that customer as much as i would have if they came to me like a decent polite human being who treats me with respect.
    07-03-08 07:37 PM
    VERIZON is mean and they never do anything "cool" like that. Search craigslist, that's where I got mine from.
    07-03-08 07:45 PM
    I guess it all depends on who you talk to. I went to a VZW kiosk in Circuit City and they let me upgrade 7 months early and I got a brand new curve for 129.99 and got my wife (upgraded early too) a pearl for 99.99. I suggest you go into the store and see if someone can help you. If they still doesn't work, just get one off ebay.
    07-03-08 07:59 PM
    Basically, this guy named Joseph @ Verizon said he was going to call me back about getting me an early upgrade to a BlackBerry (I really need one for Business).

Guess what, he never called back. I called Verizon multiple times since, and they all said they would send this "Joseph" guy an E-mail to call me, and he never did.

Anyways, everybody else I talked to said I have to wait until December of 2009 to upgrade my phone!?!? Of course I can buy the Curve 8330 outright for $400+ from Verizon, but is there a better way?

What do you guys recommend? Should I cancel and try to go with another Carrier (ATT is offering free 8310's right now) or should I stick with verizon and try to figure something out?

Thanks in advance

So, you last upgraded in April 2008 and you want to be able to get a Curve already? As a VZW rep I must say I would say the chances I would upgrade you that early is slim and none and slim just left the building. Seriously, this is probably why Joseph isn't calling you back because he knows his sup would not approve it for you.
    07-03-08 08:00 PM
    So, you last upgraded in April 2008 and you want to be able to get a Curve already? As a VZW rep I must say I would say the chances I would upgrade you that early is slim and none and slim just left the building. Seriously, this is probably why Joseph isn't calling you back because he knows his sup would not approve it for you.
    I don't know where you get "April of 2008" from? I got a new Verizon Contract right before Christmas of 2007. I have had my new contract for over 6 months?
    07-03-08 08:11 PM
    With a Verizon phone, how does it work if I buy an unlocked phone off of eBay? Do I just buy the phone, call verizon and activate it?
    07-03-08 08:13 PM
    Unlocked phones will be able to be activated soon. VZW is in the process of making an approved list of devices that will acceptable on their network
    07-03-08 08:25 PM
    depending on model phone that you have there is a way around it and not cost you a dollar. I had a treo 650p and was having problems so i called CS and was very nice to them on the phone and they sent me a refurbished 650p for free. I got that phone overnight and was using that for about a week and I got sick of treo all together. I called up verizon again and killed them with my kindness and said my treo was freezing up until they resorted to sending me another treo 650p. I told them this time that I use the phone for business and it was really hurting my business. They said well, if you have problems with this phone than call us back and we will send you one more then if that phone gives you a problem you are eligible for a multi fru upgrade. What that means is basically if you go through 3 replacement devices within a certain period of time that your eligible for a brand new phone of equal or lesser value. I got that phone the next day and immediately called verizon and said it wasnt hotsyncing to my computer and I wanted out of a Palm device all together cause it was really hurting my business. I stated to them that I wanted to try out a blackberry Curve but felt that I shouldnt hafta pay any money. Well, long story short, I was nice again on the phone and Ive been rockin a free BB curve for about 3 weeks now lol. They overnighted me the phone and when I looked in the box there was a bill statement that said $419.99 and then right under it said discount-$419.99...So I got the phone, didnt cost me a dollar and I even saved $15 a month on my monthly unlimited data plan. If you have a smartphone your good to go. If not, at least ask to pay the difference in price from the retail prices of the phone which should be around the price of a 2 year upgrade discount. This works flawlessly as I got my friend a brand new curve as well...he had a pearl and went thru 3 phones also. I pretended to be him and had his account info in front of me. Remember, "multi fru" exchange program...its a lifesaver
    07-03-08 08:25 PM
    depending on model phone that you have there is a way around it and not cost you a dollar. I had a treo 650p and was having problems so i called CS and was very nice to them on the phone and they sent me a refurbished 650p for free. I got that phone overnight and was using that for about a week and I got sick of treo all together. I called up verizon again and killed them with my kindness and said my treo was freezing up until they resorted to sending me another treo 650p. I told them this time that I use the phone for business and it was really hurting my business. They said well, if you have problems with this phone than call us back and we will send you one more then if that phone gives you a problem you are eligible for a multi fru upgrade. What that means is basically if you go through 3 replacement devices within a certain period of time that your eligible for a brand new phone of equal or lesser value. I got that phone the next day and immediately called verizon and said it wasnt hotsyncing to my computer and I wanted out of a Palm device all together cause it was really hurting my business. I stated to them that I wanted to try out a blackberry Curve but felt that I shouldnt hafta pay any money. Well, long story short, I was nice again on the phone and Ive been rockin a free BB curve for about 3 weeks now lol. They overnighted me the phone and when I looked in the box there was a bill statement that said $419.99 and then right under it said discount-$419.99...So I got the phone, didnt cost me a dollar and I even saved $15 a month on my monthly unlimited data plan. If you have a smartphone your good to go. If not, at least ask to pay the difference in price from the retail prices of the phone which should be around the price of a 2 year upgrade discount. This works flawlessly as I got my friend a brand new curve as well...he had a pearl and went thru 3 phones also. I pretended to be him and had his account info in front of me. Remember, "multi fru" exchange program...its a lifesaver
    Damn, I currently have an enV
    07-03-08 08:31 PM
    good news, Im doing a add-a-line for only $10/month. New phone is the Curve 8330
    07-03-08 08:48 PM
    Reef, the bottom line is this ~ everyone posting to this thread can give you all the do/dont's in the world. They can all sit here typing away about what worked for them; which doesnt mean any of this stuff is going to work for you, me, or the bunny rabbit my neighbor has.

These days, each carrier has so many customers spouting off how "loyal" they've been and it doesn't move them as much as it did in the past. Threatening to cancel and go elsewhere has also met customers with a "goodbye" & "pleasure doing business with you."

Telling them that you need it for business isn't earth shattering either. Maybe because you're being too specific about the phone you "need." Many times, when the person you're speaking to smells BS, they're not inclined to be so giving.

Joseph isn't calling you back; neither are his friends. If everyone you speak with at Verizon is telling you "no," then get one off eBay, activate it, and call it a day.

Thanks in advance

07-03-08 08:58 PM
    VERIZON is mean and they never do anything "cool" like that. Search craigslist, that's where I got mine from.
    Hmm. I got my new curve for 149 without using an upgrade. I just brought up the pearl's memoury issue and voila. New phone. Vzw will work with you. Just keep at it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-08 08:59 PM
    hmmm not only did it cost you $9.99 for line of service, but also at least $29.99 or your data plan. In my book that is another 40 bucks a month. not a bad deal. oh yes plus any cost of Equip. But you got the 8330 which is a great device
    07-03-08 09:06 PM
    good news, Im doing a add-a-line for only $10/month. New phone is the Curve 8330
    Your Welcome. LOL
    07-03-08 09:58 PM
    See if you can do a add a line for $9.99 and get a blackberry plan added. This sucks because you have a phone sitting around that you don't use. You could see if a family member will take over your phone and pay that bill and you pay the added line and Blackberry service.
    Ya! Credit to willymakit. I forgot to mention he was the one that gave me the idea.

Now I have to figure out how to re-case the silver Curve into a Black one - like the Sprint version of the phone. I made another thread about it so Ill figure it out.

This is going to be my first blackberry, Im pretty excited
    Last edited by BlackReef; 07-03-08 at 11:08 PM.
    07-03-08 11:02 PM
    Ya! Credit to willymakit. I forgot to mention he was the one that gave me the idea.

I just have to figure out now if I put both phones on ONE plan, or if they are on seperate plans? Does the 'add a line' only add a phone to an existing plan?
    Yes. If I'm not mistaken, separate plan would be an additional account; not another line added to existing account.
    07-03-08 11:07 PM
    I'd do what the one poster suggested. If you can't come up with 400-450 for a new Curve, add a line for $9.99. If you order online, a Curve is $149. You would be paying an extra $9.99 a month until the contract on your old phone expires.
    07-03-08 11:09 PM
    Yes. If I'm not mistaken, separate plan would be an additional account; not another line added to existing account.
    Your correct. I just cleared that up with verizon.

I will say as far as customer service goes, and just being polite, Verizon beats everybody. Whether they can help you or not, they seem to always be polite and courteous, no matter who I talk to.
    07-03-08 11:09 PM
    I'd do what the one poster suggested. If you can't come up with 400-450 for a new Curve, add a line for $9.99. If you order online, a Curve is $149. You would be paying an extra $9.99 a month until the contract on your old phone expires.
    That's what I did. The 8330 will be here on Tuesday. Once it arrives, I am going to switch the two phone numbers, making the Blackberry the primary phone, while my current enV will become the secondary. I

For the enV, Ill just wait until I am elgible for an upgrade and get the new 9000 or 9500 mooohahaha
    07-03-08 11:11 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD