I'm just curious what everybody thinks about these two carriers and the two Curves that they provide. I'm wanting to get a Curve but don't know if I should go with AT&T or Verizon. HELP!!!
    06-13-08 02:51 PM
    If both carriers have about the same service in your area I personally would recomend at&t. VZW is more expensive and has the nasty habbit of locking down certain features on their phones as they see fit. Also, VZW is a CDMA carrier and new BB's always com to GSM carriers first (the Thunder being an exception to the rule as rumors have it!). Hope this helps!!!
    06-13-08 02:54 PM
    I agree with berrywhite and welcome to CB.
    06-13-08 02:56 PM
    I am not a "world" traveller so I really have had no need for GSM.
    That being said I have tried BOTH ATT and VZW and prefer Verizon. CDMA in my opinion, has had more reliable service.
    Customer service for VZW is stellar as well.
    Good luck.
    Nick
    06-13-08 03:02 PM
    In my opinion... I prefer VZW. I have had Sprint (stole over $450 from my checking account will NEVER go back),AT&T and VZW. I went to AT&T and paid the money to cancel my acct to switch back to VZW. I don't travel the world so it doesn't matter to me as much but I have reception everywhere. Verizon is more expensive but you get what you pay for. If you want to travel the world you can go to Verizon and they can let you borrow a world phone while you travel. If something happens to your phone or BB like a tech issue, you go into the store and the replace it there. AT&T you have to send away for it. Another positive of VZW is the insurance. They will insure ALL phones, PDA's and smart phones. AT&T only insures up to the price of $199 of a phone. So if your phone has a price tag of $200, they do not insure it. When it drops below it.... they will insure it. Everyone says that VZW disables apps on the phone. I honestly dont see anything different. I dont even use GPS. They have VZ navigator. I don't really care about either. I downloaded Google maps and I am fine. Cause honestly how often would I use my BB for navigation. Well Good luck to what you choose. Oh Customer service with Verizon is top notch and is rated #1.
    06-13-08 03:21 PM
    Tiffee818 way to go!!! That's about the size of it. Verizon, not ATT!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-08 03:26 PM
    To each their own on this. It all depends on what you are looking for. Check the coverage maps on each of their website. As another poster said, you get what you pay for. I love Verizon. They have been the only cell company (other than sprint back in 2000). I have been tossing the idea around of going with AT&T because of their rollover minutes or T-Mobile because of the Hot@Home (or whatever they call it) because I have 5 lines. But I decided to just up my minutes and stick with Verizon. After looking at the coverage map for both, I like the way Verizon map looks better.

If you don't have a cell phone number you want to port, then do the 30 day trial for both to see what one you like better.

Good luck
    06-13-08 03:31 PM
    I say AT@T all the way!!! personally I have found no problems what soo ever
    06-13-08 10:05 PM
    It really depends on how you intend to use the device and what you are looking for in a carrier. I believe I've now had every one of the major carriers at least once. All except Alltell if you consider it a major player.

Overall I liked T-Mobile the best. There CC was great and the devices were pretty much open and free to do whatever I want. However, the coverage is poor where I live now and Verizon owns the market here.

I can't say I am overall too happy with Verizon since my switch recently. The plans are much more expensive, it pisses me off to an extreme that GPS is crippled and I can't use Telenav. I can't even get OBEX to work on my Curve. I miss many things about my TMO 8800. However, the service is really great. There aren't many places I don't get coverage and I move around a bit.

If you are a global traveler and head to Europe ever, than ATT is the sure thing way to go. CDMA is okay and all, but I liked having GSM service, now I'm stuck to an old unlocked PEBL and prepaid sim cards when I head across the pond next time.

It's been years since I used ATT/Cingular, I never liked it too much, but if you're looking for more worldwide support and cheaper plans, they probably have the best offer for you. If it's network coverage you want, then VZW has that locked down pretty good.
    06-13-08 10:41 PM
    I love Verizon. Great customer service, superfast data, great cell coverage.

06-13-08 10:52 PM
    I have Verizon and it's been working fine for me. I've also had AT&T in the past for about 3-4 years. I liked AT&T only because it is simple to swap phones. A simple switch of a SIM card and you're done. VZW on the other hand doesn't have a SIM card, so either call the 1-800 number or go to a local store. But a good thing about a SIM card is that it stores number. For VZW, if you don't backup your numbers and in a case of losing your phone or it gets damaged, guess what...it's gone forever!!! I love VZW because the signal is always good, very good customer service (A++), and they have nice phones. If you have a problem with VZW crippling features of phones, then you should go to AT&T. I don't mind GPS and Wifi being disabled because 1. I have my own GPS unit(Garmin baby!! woot woot!!). 2. Why need the wifi if you already have the internet plan. And I must say the speed of the internet is quite fast IMO.

Which ever carrier you get it doesn't really matter. As long as you get a BB Curve then it's all good in the neighborhood. Good luck!!!!
    06-13-08 11:16 PM
    In the last 5 years I have sold both ATT (then Cingular) and now Verizon. I think you need to think about if you want the better phones or the better service. ATT allows you to do more stuff with your Curve but still lacks features the VZW version has since VZW has the most recent OS as of now. OS 4.5 will be out for ATT sooner or later so that will level the playing field somewhat. HOWEVER VZW just picked up Alltel and got the 700 Mghz, all will give even better service and make them the largest wireless provider. My advice is get with what ever company you think is going to be the best for you over the next two years. Personally I think Verizon rocks and will change the cell industry in the next few years, that is after all why I work for them.
    06-14-08 12:53 AM
    I've had Verizon for several years and their signal coverage in my area is excellent and the customer service reps have always been good. I really like VZW.
    06-14-08 01:02 AM
    I have had both and I prefer att. Simply because vze gaveb me so much crap about my bill.

06-14-08 01:18 AM
    One advantage to the VZW (well CDMA rather) Curve is that you do get some extra memory, plus EV-DO which is much faster than EDGE on ATT. I use VZW and love it.

06-14-08 01:20 AM
    Verizon Pros:
    1. Superior Coverage and Customer Service (not biased--read Consumer Reports or look at the JD Power and Associates Rankings)
    2. Faster Data Speeds -- 3G vs. 2G
    3. Updated OS

Verizon Cons:
    1. "Crippled GPS" -- You can still get it for $10/month if it's important to you.
    2. More expensive phone -- Around $50 to $100 more expensive on average, depending on sales
    3. One color only, vs. two (titanium or red) for at&t

at&t Pros:
    1. Cheaper phone, as mentioned above
    2. Can be used overseas because it is a GSM phone
    3. Text messaging is slightly cheaper*

at&t Cons:
    1. Ranks dead last in every region for coverage, according to JD Power.
    2. Poorly rated customer service
    3. Will lie about anything to get you on their network. For proof, try and recount at&t's false claims about the fewest dropped calls.

My final point is slightly biased, but I have nevertheless found it to be true as a former customer of at&t (switched a year ago after 5 years with them).

*Text messaging is slightly cheaper, but otherwise the plans are almost identical in price. Unlimited BlackBerry internet/e-mail is $30 for both, and the calling plans are, I believe, exactly the same.

My post deals only with the comparison of Verizon and at&t's Curve and overall service. at&t does, for instance, get BlackBerrys sooner, but as the question was regarding the Curve only, I won't touch on such irrelevancies.
    Last edited by jta1188; 06-14-08 at 01:45 AM.
    06-14-08 01:43 AM
    Having used both carriers I thought maybe I�d throw my opinion into the mix�

I personally prefer Verizon. The coverage (signal strength) is much more reliable. In the major markets of course ATT is going to provide good signal, however, if you start outside the major market, towards smaller towns, with exception of traveling on interstate highways, your going to see your ATT signal start to drop� Aside from that, Verizon�s EVDO is much faster than the ATT�s EDGE. Of course the Bold will have the 3G but if your talking about a Curve then you definitely want EVDO. If your determined to have GPS, I highly recommend VZ Navigator. It remains stellar (at least for me) in providing accurate directions and location. Personally I can tell a big difference between CDMA and GSM calls� To me CDMA provides a much faster connection as well as decreased static in the lines. Now, as for customer service, I can assure you that Verizon provides INCREDIBLE customer service! Having dealt with both, I can easily give Verizon an A- and ATT a D+. Then you have the issue of phone trouble and/or replacement. With ATT if you have issues with your phone that cannot be resolved by an agent in the store or over the phone, you are required to send your phone in to the replacement center, where, they will �eventually� send your replacement. With Verizon I have walked into the store with phones that are well over three months old that are giving me problems and within short order they have given me a new phone and I�m out the door� So, Verizon may cost a little more, but as another poster said, �YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR��
    All this is of course, only an opinion�take what you will and leave the rest. Good luck in your decision.
    06-14-08 07:20 AM
    If something happens to your phone or BB like a tech issue, you go into the store and the replace it there. AT&T you have to send away for it. Another positive of VZW is the insurance. Everyone says that VZW disables apps on the phone. I honestly dont see anything different. Well Good luck to what you choose. Oh Customer service with Verizon is top notch and is rated #1.

I agree 100% I had the 8830WE, trackball stopped working, brought it in, customer service tried to use, couldn't and with in minutes I was giving a brand new out of the box, I saw him take it out of the box himself, transfered my numbers over. I had to install all my apps, no big deal. So it was great, and usually they are always great over the phone for help. No drop calls ever, so can you hear me know!?!?!?!
    06-14-08 08:09 AM
    2. Why need the wifi if you already have the internet plan. And I must say the speed of the internet is quite fast IMO.
    Hmmm... I've got to kick in my experience with that.

I had a T-Mo Curve for two weeks before switching to ATT. I really miss WiFi because it can be a HUGE speed difference over full strength EDGE. It's a really big difference if you're using a browser or downloading files. If the Bold didn't have WiFi, I'd probably go back to T-Mo.

I currently have a Curve with ATT, a Razr with VZW, had a Curve with T-Mo and used to work for Sprint a number of years ago. There are three main issues (others my chime in about handsets, customer service, etc... ):
    1) Coverage
    2) Price
    3) Features

Coverage: it's pretty cut and dry. One carrier will probably be the best in your area. Can you live with the inadequacies of another? Here in SF, VZW is really good so that I never even thought of coverage issues... until I got my T-Mo and ATT phone.

Price: VZW is notoriously higher than most and charge you for every little thing. However, if they meet your needs, then what's it worth?

Features: I don't know about on a BB, but with a Razr, VZW has limited a number of features and functions. It's a bummer to me, but I only carry that phone when space is an issue.

You've got to decide what your priorities are and then make your choice based on those.
    Last edited by gingerista; 06-14-08 at 08:48 AM. Reason: misspellling
    06-14-08 08:47 AM
    Well I believe ATT's has wifi and VZW doesn't on the curve I mean. I wish my sCurve had wifi but GPS is cool too. I'm not sure if VZW curves has GPS enabled.

06-14-08 09:16 AM
    First find out what service is like in your area. AT&T is generally pretty good in most metropolitan areas and virtually as good as Verizon with some exceptions. Admittedly GSM isn't as powerful generally but battery life is usually better as is standby time by a noticeable amount.

Now while Verizon's signal is good as is their customer service, they will use their "everyone else's signal is substandard compared to ours" diatribe and knock you over the head with it and rape your checkbook. But it gets worse than just paying at least an addition 10% premium just to use Verizon. They deliberately cripple their phones making good features, e.g. GPS, completely unusable for ANYTHING except for Verizon paid services. Even if you pay the corporation for their expensive GPS service, you STILL can't use the GPS. And once again they will remind you "but what good is GPS if you don't have signal." Sure... whatever.

Next, if you're going to see updates to the Blackberry OS and other items, you can be rest assured that with Verizon you will get it LAST. This is not an exception but the general rule. Verizon will yack to you about "quality control testing" and they still screwed me and everyone else with an 8830 that has a memory leak (their testing isn't any better than any other company, including all my Treos.)

That said, the Curve with Verizon apparently has an extra 32MB of RAM which makes a HUGE difference in favor of the Verizon Curve.

What's my call? Wait it out just a little longer and buy the Bold with AT&T.
    06-14-08 11:22 AM
    In my opinion... I prefer VZW. I have had Sprint (stole over $450 from my checking account will NEVER go back),AT&T and VZW. I went to AT&T and paid the money to cancel my acct to switch back to VZW. I don't travel the world so it doesn't matter to me as much but I have reception everywhere. Verizon is more expensive but you get what you pay for. If you want to travel the world you can go to Verizon and they can let you borrow a world phone while you travel. If something happens to your phone or BB like a tech issue, you go into the store and the replace it there. AT&T you have to send away for it. Another positive of VZW is the insurance. They will insure ALL phones, PDA's and smart phones. AT&T only insures up to the price of $199 of a phone. So if your phone has a price tag of $200, they do not insure it. When it drops below it.... they will insure it. Everyone says that VZW disables apps on the phone. I honestly dont see anything different. I dont even use GPS. They have VZ navigator. I don't really care about either. I downloaded Google maps and I am fine. Cause honestly how often would I use my BB for navigation. Well Good luck to what you choose. Oh Customer service with Verizon is top notch and is rated #1.
    As of June 2nd, 2008, we cover all phones except the iPhone and GoPhones.
    06-14-08 02:03 PM
    There is no difference in price plans for att or vzw. and yes att dose get blackberrys sooner than vzw because they run on a gsm service, although when vzw dose get a blackberry thats been out its always an upgrade from atts model, vzw's pearl was the first 3G blackberry on the market for a long time until they released their curve and is currently the only carries to have any 3G blackberrys out. vzws new technology LTE will be gsm based so they delay in getting new blackberrys will soon fade. I just got my curve 8330 about a month ago and im hooked my co-worker has a curve on att and its no comparison, he has to walk to a certain part of the office to get enough service to get online and its slower than dial-up, I get service everywhere with mine and my internet is about as fast as my cable modem at home. Vzw is committed to having the best service out of all us carriers and with the newly bought Alltel they will have the largest calling community. I would defiantly suggest vzw.
    06-14-08 02:38 PM
    There are two things people always say about Verizon that is both FALSE and extremely ANNOYING:

1. Verizon cripples "things." After people say this, they say something along the lines of (taken from a poster above me) "e.g. GPS." That's one thing. Things is plural. What other things do they cripple?

*Also, GPS isn't "crippled." You can still pay $10 a month for VZ Navigator, which is far superior to programs like Nav4All and Google Maps. It offers turn-by-turn voice directions (Google Maps doesn't) and thousands of places of interest plus traffic conditions (which Nav4All doesn't).

2. Verizon is always the LAST to get things. Not true at all. The basis of this assumption clearly deals with the Curve (and I suppose the Pearl). Well, Verizon wasn't last to get the Curve, Sprint was. Regardless, I know people will say "BUT ITS STILL A YEAR LATER."
    So the Curve did come out late on CDMA. But what about the 88xx series? If I remember correctly, that phone was released within just a few months of the GSM launch. And the Bold is expected within months of the at&t launch. Everyone always uses this "Curve" standard for lateness when it isn't always true. And besides, the times that Verizon does wait to release a new BlackBerry, it always ends up better than its predecessors "e.g. updated OS, faster data speeds, more memory, mobile video streaming, etc."
    06-14-08 02:42 PM
    For all this talk of Verizon "crippling" its phones, I think it's funny that my "crippled" Verizon phone is able to make and receive calls where my friend's AT&T phone can only dream of getting a signal. Not only that, but I can also access the internet at much faster speeds... hmm, now who's crippled again?

It's just a matter of priorities. AT&T is obviously angling for the crowd who has to have the newest, coolest, hippest device. Whether you can actually USE that device in a meaningful way is an entirely different story.
    06-14-08 03:06 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD