I have the latest Desktop software and have downloaded the official 4.5 OS release from Verizon for my Curve. I installed the OS, but when I open my Desktop software, the install does not begin. When I go into the apploader, it tells me that no update is required.

If I click "Notifications for new software updates", I get the message:
    You cannot update your software using this system as your device is currently activated on BlackBerry Enterprise Server or BlackBerry Professional Software. Please contact your administrator for updates. Or check for updates from your carrier service provider.

My administrator is fine with me upgrading my OS. What do I need to do to get around this?
    11-22-08 11:46 PM
    Are you sure the OS installed on your PC? Go to Control Panel Add/Remove programs. You should see at least two entries, one for Desktop Manager and one for the OS itself.

I'm on BES and have upgraded and downgraded my OS several times. Being on BES does not inherently prohibit you being able to do the upgrade.
    11-23-08 12:26 AM
    Jeff,

True as stated, but If I am not mistaken cannot the BES admin set the server to monitor for upgrades and have them blocked?
    11-23-08 07:37 AM
    The OS is showing in Add/Remove. Could this be a new "feature" of the Desktop Software? I downloaded the 4.7 version from Verizon before I installed the device OS.

Hummm....and I REALLY want HTML email.
    11-23-08 08:09 AM
    I have not played with 4.7, but until service books are resent from your BES server and if the BES server though your company is supporting 4.5 html email will not work. I would talk with your IT folks.
    11-23-08 08:15 AM
    Lastraid is correct on both points. Your BES could be blocking your ability to upgrade by default, even though you talked to IT. And html mail won't work unless supported and enabled by the BES admin. I doubt DM 4.7 is the problem, but I'm still using DM 4.6.

The new web-based upgrade process is causing a lot of problems, because it doesn't install the OS on your PC. That doesn't sound like it's the problem in your case, though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-08 08:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD