Sorry, this is a bit of a rant. And my first post too!!

So I filed a complaint with the FCC in regards to Verizon locking out the GPS features of their phones. I stated in the complaint that Verizon is profiting from purposefully disabling the built-in GPS on the phones and that GPS is a public service. Even if we pay the fee to use VZNavigator they still don't allow the use of any GPS application other than VZNavigator and VZNavigator is a monthly fee.

I got a letter in the mail from the FCC stating that they received an answer to my complaint from Verizon and that it appears Verizon has "addresses the issues raised in my complaint". I also got a call from a Verizon Public Relations rep today and told me that they disable 3rd party GPS applications for "security reasons". I raised the point that BB maps, a 1st party application is also disabled. All they could tell me was that "we are continually responding to consumer requests and it may be unlocked in the future".

I wanted to follow up again with the FCC because my complaint wasn't satisfied. I can file a "formal complaint" and it will cost me $190 and I have to appear before the FCC.

No wonder companies like Verizon don't take this stuff seriously. All they have to do it make a half-hearted attempt to answer the claim and the FCC sweeps it under the rug and yells "next!".

Pretty sad I say..

Riley
    Last edited by Skud; 08-06-08 at 05:23 PM.
    08-06-08 04:59 PM
    It's probably not worth it, bro. Sprint has disabled MMS. NO carrier or phone is perfect.
    08-06-08 05:02 PM
    It's probably not worth it, bro. Sprint has disabled MMS. NO carrier or phone is perfect.
    But why disable any capabilities of a device? I understand that Verizon probably views customer loss resulting from locked GPS to be insignificant, especially when compared to the sales seemingly generated by making VZ Navigator the only navigation software that will work with the built-in GPS. If Verizon truly believes "it's the network" that's the selling point, they should open up their devices to be as capable, if not more so, than those offered by other carriers.

Isn't there some requirement, Federal or otherwise, that all products bearing identical model numbers be equally capable? It's ridiculous that a "Blackberry Curve 8330", as promoted on the Blackberry web site, includes certain capabilities, and one reseller can cripple it one way, and another reseller can cripple it in another way, without some sort of modification to the model number, such as 8330s (Sprint) or 8330v (Verizon).

Does any CDMA carrier in the US offer a Blackberry Curve 8330 with all features identified on the Blackberry web site enabled?
    08-06-08 05:39 PM
    Hey Skud maybe you could take donations from other Verizon users and follow through with this. I know I would chip in a few bucks just to see what happens.
    08-06-08 05:43 PM

Here's another reason to hate verizon .
    Verizon Limits Its "Unlimited" Wireless Broadband Service

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-08 05:46 PM

And I think Alltell will give you all the features. I'm not sure tho.

08-06-08 05:47 PM
    This is completely rumor, but I heard from a source that AT&T will soon be pay service for GPS like VZW. I consider him mostly reliable, but who knows. It is all about making a buck one way or another.

08-06-08 05:50 PM
    he!! throw you cash to see what happens too
    08-06-08 05:51 PM
    If you ever get a chance, the next time you are at a video store or rental shop, there is a Canadian made Documentary called The Corporation, (kind of off topic, because Verizon is not in it), however, it will show you how these companies think! Trust me, it's crazy, must warn you, it is very long so make sure you got time!
    08-06-08 06:20 PM
    I'd chip in to see if it gets us anywhere too...
    08-06-08 06:36 PM
    I'm sure that the Verizon's legal department has already brainstormed almost everything that someone might say or do and has the money to fight to keep their profits. This subject has been discussed several times. Anyway I would save your $190.00 that's about 19 months of nav. service.
    Last edited by petelajr; 08-06-08 at 06:38 PM.
    08-06-08 06:36 PM
    they did this same thing with bluetooth on the first phone they ever offered with the feature. they disabled certain parts to prevent you from copying files on and off, and force you to use their services which they charged you for.
    I don't care how great their network supposedly is, it's not worth them nickel and diming me to death.

I've stuck with t-mo cause they have a decent network, can jump onto ATT where t-mo isn't available, and I can do any think I want with my phone.

Verizon just knows with their network they can use that as leverage to hold onto customer and abuse them as much as they want.
    08-06-08 06:46 PM

Here's another reason to hate verizon .
    Verizon Limits Its "Unlimited" Wireless Broadband Service

thanks for posting old news

thats already been revised
    08-06-08 06:49 PM
    not only old news, but just about every other carrier seems to limiting it as well. At I have seen info on it. I will try to find it again.
    08-06-08 07:08 PM
    This is completely rumor, but I heard from a source that AT&T will soon be pay service for GPS like VZW. I consider him mostly reliable, but who knows. It is all about making a buck one way or another.

AT&T's nav service, TeleNav, is already a pay service. Luckily you can find other 3rd party apps that will do it for free.

08-06-08 07:13 PM
    not only old news, but just about every other carrier seems to limiting it as well. At I have seen info on it. I will try to find it again.
    sorry to disapoint but Tmo is unlimited REAllY unlimited...i have been over 7 gigs with my curve tethered several months in a row...not only is tethering free but unlimited means UNLIMITED

there always seem to be people willing to appologize for verizon's greed
    supposedly the "best" network and bla bla bla and they still feel the need to choke every penny out of their customers....i used to be a verizon customer so i know
    Last edited by giantfan30; 08-06-08 at 07:47 PM.
    08-06-08 07:45 PM
    Like I said just about - here is one example

posted May 19, 2008, 2:24 PM by Eric M. Zeman
    updated May 19, 2008, 3:04 PM

Updated: updated info about tethered phones.

Sprint is updating its Terms Of Service starting in mid-July and will be capping mobile broadband data usage at 5GB. Previously, Sprint offered truly unlimited mobile broadband. Once the new Terms Of Service go into effect, users who go over the 5GB cap, or a 300MB roaming cap, will be charged extra fees. This will apply to both network cards as well as tethering mobile phones to laptops. AT&T Mobility and Verizon Wireless currently offer 5GB data plans, also.

Found on Phone scoop.com news archives
    08-06-08 07:58 PM
    I'm not going to file a formal complaint. Not only do I not want to pay the $190 but I'd have to take time off work. Also, the FCC recommends that people appearing before the FCC hire a lawyer who is an expert in telecommunications law. Not worth it.. Which is why companies like Verizon are able to get away with stuff like this for so long.

Riley
    08-06-08 08:54 PM
    the companies wouldnt be able to get away with it if it were illiegal

plain and simple.

as unfair as you may think it is, none of the carriers are in violation of rules.
    08-06-08 09:02 PM
    If I were a lawyer I'd represent you for free. But I'm not a lawyer yet so perhaps in the future

08-06-08 09:10 PM
    I'm interested where someone has documentation that at&t has limited their "unlimited" plans for internet on their wireless devices?
    08-06-08 09:37 PM
    I'm interested where someone has documentation that at&t has limited their "unlimited" plans for internet on their wireless devices?
    If this was in reference to my post. then it is not on the device. Just as VZW plan is not for the device. It is for aircards and tethering.
    08-06-08 09:39 PM
    I think the best thing to do, if able, is just quit verizon. If enough people do it, they MIGHT get the hint.
    08-06-08 10:23 PM
    I think the best thing to do, if able, is just quit verizon. If enough people do it, they MIGHT get the hint.
    doubt they would ...there are enough subscribers to verizon who could care less about fairness and cost
    most cellphone/smartphone users are not informed.....most people go with the most convenient carrier... with the self proclaimed best network or whatever it is that catches the "regular" users eye
    most people dont dig deeper
    08-06-08 10:51 PM
    Dont give up the good fight! The wireless carriers are re-thinking their policies toward ETF's after several class action lawsuits in several states. Their also have been rumblings in congress to pass legislation to ban carriers from "locking" phones to work only on their networks. Once we all go HD and the FCC auctions off all those Frequencies their has been a push to ensure they keep the networks "open" to 3rd party providers.Unlock the cell phone? It's a high-stakes debate - CNET News.com Remember it was consumer demand and pressure on the FCC that changed the portability laws in 2003!The squeaky wheel gets the most oil! I'm all for consumer rights and fair business practices. Wireless communication technology has gone on too long set by "industry standards" and unregulated to the benefit of the consumer..US!
    08-07-08 09:36 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD