The people that keep saying "get a garmin" need to be choked. I, for one, am not on Verizon so I don't have to worry about being locked out of GPS. But I think you guys are missing the point. I would bet the majority of people aren't going to use their Blackberrys if they are going on a long trip, but the GPS is nice to use if you're in a pinch. This, at least in my eyes, doesn't warrant paying an extra $10 monthly fee for occasional use. Especially since the device already has the capability built in. That's like buying a Corvette with a 50 mph restrictor on it and saying, oh you should have just bought a Ferrari. Stupid argument. Verizon is the only choice for a lot of people.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-08 11:21 AM
    AFIAK, someone did successfully fight Verizon over the bluetooth on one of their Motorola phones. There was some sort of settlement involved. I don't know off hand the particulars, but it seems that it was the same argument that the phone was advertized with bluetooth but was crippled to drive user to a paid picture transfer service.
    09-04-08 11:23 AM
    Hey, Keith!!!

And yeah, get a Garmin if you really want GPS! Although I like using the GPS on my Curve while I'm at work and don't always have my real GPS unit with me.

Luckily, Blackberry Tracker enables the GPS function on Alltel Curves, so I can get GPS in BB Maps and Google Maps on mine.
    UMMM why doessn't everybody just dowload garmin mobile xt for there blackberry instead of buying a whole GPS unit? LOL what a waste. That program works awesome- free weather and traffic updates too.
    09-04-08 11:28 AM
    AFIAK, someone did successfully fight Verizon over the bluetooth on one of their Motorola phones. There was some sort of settlement involved. I don't know off hand the particulars, but it seems that it was the same argument that the phone was advertized with bluetooth but was crippled to drive user to a paid picture transfer service.
    Your absolutely right. They had to pay out close to 17 million US dollars. It can be done. Everyone got the purchase price of their phone refunded.
    09-04-08 11:31 AM
    UMMM why doessn't everybody just dowload garmin mobile xt for there blackberry instead of buying a whole GPS unit? LOL what a waste. That program works awesome- free weather and traffic updates too.
    It didnt work on my 8330 with Verizon's locked GPS though....
    09-04-08 11:32 AM
    It didnt work on my 8330 with Verizon's locked GPS though....
    Hey, no problem dude. Just go blow $200 on a TomTom. Everyone is doing it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-08 11:37 AM
    People say just leave verizon, I wish it was that easy but att,T-Mobile and especially sprint service just sucks plain and simple. Sprint give their customers everything for $99 and still can't keep customer.I mean are you going to drop verizon for one problem and go to another company where coverage is garbage drop calls but when the phone does work you can you use your gps. Its your money pick what's best for you.
    And what you are saying is ANOTHER cliche i hear people whining about. If ATT and Tmo's services were that bad it wouldn't be the leading carrier in the USA. I have ATT. I love it. And i've had verizon before. So don't go making blanket statements like that. And if you truly believe for you that verizon is the only provider that can give you the service you want, you make a conscious decision to not get gps with your phone.
    09-04-08 02:46 PM
    My Sprint gps software (oh ya.. it comes free with teh blackberry data plan) rocks.. Fully updated maps, directory, and text to speech.. and it updates faster then the tomtoms i have used and is as feature packed as iguidance which i use to use my axim x51v for... I retired my holux BT gps reciever and axim x51v running iguidance and igo for my sprint gps..
    Oh ya.. sprint also doesnt lock the gps on the bb 8330...
    Right on, numus!

I gave a report on Sprint Navigation: http://forums.crackberry.com/f70/rep...telenav-56584/

Awesome feature!
    09-04-08 02:58 PM
    Want GPS?

Get a Garmin. Or TomTom. GPS on a berry sucks compared to one of those.

(wave to MM from a Factory worker)
    I beg to differ. The TeleNav on Sprint works like a charm. Go to my link in the post above^^^.
    09-04-08 03:00 PM
    Hey, Keith!!!

And yeah, get a Garmin if you really want GPS! Although I like using the GPS on my Curve while I'm at work and don't always have my real GPS unit with me.

Luckily, Blackberry Tracker enables the GPS function on Alltel Curves, so I can get GPS in BB Maps and Google Maps on mine.
    I have Garmin's program on my Curve for use when needed in a pinch when I don't have the Nuvi - and BB Maps & Google Maps has their usefulness too. But I will never be convinced that a BB is better than a Nuvi or TomTom for serious vehicular use.
    09-04-08 03:45 PM
    This was my first blackberry, and I chose to stick with AT&T because of the GPS in the curve. It helps simplify life. If I travel, it is a lot easier to use my BB than it would be to pack the Tom tom in the suitcase. If you are a driver by trade, then a stand alone car GPS is the way to go, but justifying the cost of a Garmin Nuvi or TomTom is not easy for something that you might use once a week.

I use the media player on my curve as my primary music player now. Why? It's not better than the Ipod, but it means one less thing to carry around with me.

I agree that the consumer holds the power in this situation, and switching carriers is the best way to show them. All of the "Voice Navigation" companies are charging the market rate for the service, but Verizon should allow your device to communicate outside of the verizon bubble.

And what you are saying is ANOTHER cliche i hear people whining about. If ATT and Tmo's services were that bad it wouldn't be the leading carrier in the USA. I have ATT. I love it. And i've had verizon before. So don't go making blanket statements like that. And if you truly believe for you that verizon is the only provider that can give you the service you want, you make a conscious decision to not get gps with your phone.
    Didn't you here, Verizon has been crowned "king" of the cell phone market.
    09-04-08 04:53 PM
    There are many places in the US where Verizon is pretty much the only game in town. If ATT or TMo were available, I'd shove my blackberry up VZW's rear end and snap it off sideways. But until then, it's VZW's game and they play by whatever rules suit them.
    09-09-08 07:12 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD