I filed a FTC Compliant againest Verizon for their lockout of the GPS except through use of VZ Navigator.

My thought behind this is that if a company (BlackBerry) offers a device with a specific function (GPS), it should not be allowed that the reselling company (Verizon) would be allowed to disable or lockout the function except to use through their (Verizon) own software which is an additional charge. Especially when there are other companies that offer the service. The fact that it comes preloaded with BlackBerry Maps which is rendered useless because of the GPS lockout installed by Verizon, should be illegal.

It sounds reasonable to me to assume that Verizon is in the wrong here and that they should unlock the GPS function to all software program that can utilize the GPS function.

It if bugs you like it does me file a complaint. Don't be one of the "oh well, get used to it" people.

ftccomplaintassistant.gov
    09-03-08 05:30 PM
    Again - been there done that by several here. But have a nice time doing it. THis subject is really getting old and has be posted several times here.

Hmm let see what happened last time. VZW responded to the complaint. THE GOV responded to the person here and said if you do not like it get lawyer and file an action. This cost money (LOTS), there was even talk of a collection. This is where it died.

Best of luck on your try.
    Last edited by lastraid; 09-03-08 at 05:38 PM.
    09-03-08 05:33 PM
    I agree with you 100% badboy. Verizon can OFFER their GPS services because in all honesty, their service is pretty cool and its packed with nice features, but at the same time, they should NOT be locking it forcing people to use their service and pay extra for it if they dont want to, especially if there are other programs and services that COME on the phone that can be used. This is just Verizon's way of making more money, and because of that fact, it isn't illegal.
    09-03-08 05:38 PM
    As much as I really don't like the fact that a phone vendor would lock down GPS or other features on a phone, I'm not sure that I think it's any different than the internet browser not working unless you pay the carrier for data service. Is it?
    09-03-08 05:49 PM
    Want GPS?

Get a Garmin. Or TomTom. GPS on a berry sucks compared to one of those.

(wave to MM from a Factory worker)
    09-03-08 05:49 PM
    Want GPS?

Thats a very good point. I love my Garmin
    09-03-08 06:09 PM
    So lets get this straight . . .Blackberry Maps or Google Maps DO NOT reflect your GPS location on VZW?

This is regardless if you subscribe to VZNavigator or not?
    09-03-08 11:41 PM
    Google maps shows your location within a a certain radius, but it is not entirely accurate. GM works off cell tower triangulations, not gps. Before my gps mysteriously started working on my vzw curve, GM showed I lived in a nearby cemetery.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-08 11:47 PM
    My Sprint gps software (oh ya.. it comes free with teh blackberry data plan) rocks.. Fully updated maps, directory, and text to speech.. and it updates faster then the tomtoms i have used and is as feature packed as iguidance which i use to use my axim x51v for... I retired my holux BT gps reciever and axim x51v running iguidance and igo for my sprint gps..
    Oh ya.. sprint also doesnt lock the gps on the bb 8330...
    09-03-08 11:53 PM
    Want GPS?

i totally agree
    09-04-08 01:07 AM
    The best way you can get VZW's attention, is to cancel. Lots and lots of you should cancel. This will make things change. Getting attorneys involved is a losing situation.
    09-04-08 01:16 AM
    I too had verizon a little less than a year ago but ditched them partly for this reason. I am tired of hearing people whine on and on about how they are locked out of gps by verizon. It's actually quite simple, vote with your wallet and don't sign up with verizon. I don't understand how people can't figure this out. When I couldn't stand verizon's ego I simply ditched them and signed with ATT and have been pleased since. So, instead of whining, take care of business. I mean, it's not like this is a total surprise now is it? It's been this way for years now.
    Last edited by ajdaniel; 09-04-08 at 01:45 AM.
    09-04-08 01:37 AM
    IMO When you go and buy a phone you know what features it has and which ones you want. If it doesnt work before you buy it why would it work after you make your purchase. As for cancelling, you will never get enough people to cancel because the GPS is "locked". I never understood buying a phone just to run to the closest forum and complain about it.
    09-04-08 05:39 AM
    The best way you can get VZW's attention, is to cancel. Lots and lots of you should cancel. This will make things change. Getting attorneys involved is a losing situation.
    i agree with this. How can you oppose a company's policy so much yet still give them your money each month?

Cancel and let them know why you're leaving. Money talks.

09-04-08 05:48 AM
    Want GPS?

Hey, Keith!!!

And yeah, get a Garmin if you really want GPS! Although I like using the GPS on my Curve while I'm at work and don't always have my real GPS unit with me.

Luckily, Blackberry Tracker enables the GPS function on Alltel Curves, so I can get GPS in BB Maps and Google Maps on mine.
    Last edited by Motorcycle Mama; 09-04-08 at 05:52 AM. Reason: spelling
    09-04-08 05:52 AM
    i totally agree
    I also totally agree to the sixth power!! I love my Garmin also!!

09-04-08 06:24 AM
    I too had verizon a little less than a year ago but ditched them partly for this reason. I am tired of hearing people whine on and on about how they are locked out of gps by verizon. It's actually quite simple, vote with your wallet and don't sign up with verizon. I don't understand how people can't figure this out. When I couldn't stand verizon's ego I simply ditched them and signed with ATT and have been pleased since. So, instead of whining, take care of business. I mean, it's not like this is a total surprise now is it? It's been this way for years now.
    I totally agree, pleeeeeeease people, stop whining about VZW and thier GPS situation. If you don't like thier GPS policy, why did you sign up? is it because they have great coverage? or becuase they have great customer service? or for some other reason? well you cant have everything at once, cause if you did, then someone would be whining about that it costs too much.

One rule with Cell phone carriers is you can have 2 out of the following 3 things...Good Coverage, Feature Rich, or Cheap. Pick your favorite two, and stop b*tching about the third!!!!

And all I have to say to the person that filed a complaint with the FTC is...really?...REALLY? You sir, have officially claimed the title of ULTIMATE WHINER!!! Congratulations! Michael Moore has your trophy!
    09-04-08 07:42 AM
    Not too sound like a clown but, aren't free market economies about making money and tones of choices?

I agree with you 100 percent. However, I would cancel and choose to pay even more with another provider just to not support verizon. These are choices we all have as consumers!

Now if all the companies did this, well I guess we would be s.o.l.

Good luck with your complaint.

09-04-08 07:51 AM
    Come on over to sprint I am sure that they would love your money and try to make you happy. I have been here for 4 years and 2 no make that 3 deployments if you count 1 to Korea and will not leave them. I have no complaints especially with the you just pay for minutes plan all data services are included. We await your arrival.

09-04-08 08:13 AM
    Google maps shows your location within a a certain radius, but it is not entirely accurate. GM works off cell tower triangulations, not gps. Before my gps mysteriously started working on my vzw curve, GM showed I lived in a nearby cemetery.

"....mysteriously started working..."
    Please expand.
    09-04-08 08:20 AM
    I resisted for months but I installed (pay for) VZ Navigator. It has some features that my other GPS doesn't have and when I travel out of state or someone else drives it is the focus of the group when we go out and it works 100% better than the GPS in the rental cars. So long story short, it's a free market system, if you don't like it don't buy it.
    09-04-08 08:38 AM
    I will agree that the GPS being locked sucks but at the same time I won't go out and buy a portable GPS unit.

In july I had to make a trip down to NJ and it was a spur of the moment thing and didn't have time to print out directions. I know BB maps will give you turn by turn read out like google or map quest but I opted to try out VZ navigator for the first time.

I had the app installed but didn't know that BB's had to have the $10 plan for the app to work...thought I could have bought just a 24hr session like regular cell phones could for 3 bucks. Well regardless I 611'ed customer service, they enabled the service and off I went. Had no issues with the app...got to the locations where I wanted to go and back. I used VZ navigator for 3 days. When I got back home I simply logged into my account on my PC and removed the VZ navigator service.

Well the bill came for that following month and I was ready for the $10 charge...to my surprise they prorated the charge and I paid a buck and some change.

The way I see it...I think doing it this way is a lot cheaper in my situation because of how infrequent I need a GPS to get around.

09-04-08 09:44 AM
    People say just leave verizon, I wish it was that easy but att,T-Mobile and especially sprint service just sucks plain and simple. Sprint give their customers everything for $99 and still can't keep customer.I mean are you going to drop verizon for one problem and go to another company where coverage is garbage drop calls but when the phone does work you can you use your gps. Its your money pick what's best for you.
    Last edited by stayfly; 09-04-08 at 10:14 AM.
    09-04-08 10:11 AM
    People say just leave verizon, I wish it was that easy but att,T-Mobile and especially sprint service just sucks plain and simple. Sprint give their customers everything for $99 and still can't keep customer.I mean are you going to drop verizon for one problem and go to another company where coverage is garbage drop calls but when the phone does work you can you use your gps. Its your money pick what's best for you.
    If that's the case then those people need to stop complaining about verizon. They are CHOOSING to stay with verizon. They are willingly submitting to verizon's policies. If the gps lock down is so important then they will switch to another carrier and perhaps sacrifice coverage or phone selection. i have a feeling those people will find something to complain about with ANY carrier. All the threads about verizon's gps are useless. May have merit but they achieve nothing.

Last edited by chrisy520; 09-04-08 at 10:55 AM.
    09-04-08 10:48 AM
    "....mysteriously started working..."
    Please expand.
    I can't explain it. One day, my gps was just working. Its bizarre...

09-04-08 10:52 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD