i have been with Verizon for many years and have purchased the 8330 curve to find out that the GPS is locked out unless you pay. this is ubsurd. the chip i payed for in the phone the signals are free but according to a tech at blackberry says that verizon payed millions to have thier phones rewriten so that they could block it out. i also spent almost 2 and a half hours with a tech from verizon. i think he was so sick of me that he told me that if i tried on crackberry there is directions to reprogram the phone and the verizon lock would not be on the reprogram. does any one know how i can do this?
    06-18-08 11:07 AM
    Sorry, only way is to pay for the service.
    06-18-08 11:16 AM
    Nope you are stuck unless you switch to carriers.
    06-18-08 11:17 AM
    No. But I'm in the same boat. I'm very pissed that I have to pay extra for an included feature.
    06-18-08 11:17 AM
    Shouldve check crackberry b4 u got the 8330!!! There were threads up everyday when this issue was announced months ago and VZW folk were NOT happy campers! Your post just gave me some majot dejavu!
    06-18-08 11:18 AM
    For what it's worth, people who use VZNav say it's pretty good. Most of us use external GPS pucks that sync by bluetooth, like the Freedom Keychain 2000, available from the Crackberry Store.
    06-18-08 01:30 PM
    For what it's worth, people who use VZNav say it's pretty good. Most of us use external GPS pucks that sync by bluetooth, like the Freedom Keychain 2000, available from the Crackberry Store.
    Hey,after you buy the GPS puck what kind of GPS software do you have to purchase to get up and going,also which is the best? Thanks...
    06-18-08 03:06 PM
    The good news is, you don't have to buy anything. Nav4All is free for now. CoPilot has a 6-month free trial. I'm using it now. amAze is free, as is GPSed. And BBMaps and Google Maps Mobile are free as well.

Which is best depends on your use and preferences, but since they're all free, or at least have free trials, there's no risk in checking them all out.
    06-18-08 03:14 PM
    So, I use Verizon for my 8330. I downloaded google maps and it works on my phone. I don't know much about the program but it shows where I'm at, it tracks me while I drive, I get the traffic flow colors. So is it working or is that just what every Verizoner gets???
    06-18-08 07:27 PM
    So, I use Verizon for my 8330. I downloaded google maps and it works on my phone. I don't know much about the program but it shows where I'm at, it tracks me while I drive, I get the traffic flow colors. So is it working or is that just what every Verizoner gets???
    I believe your Google Maps are using cell tower triangulation, which isn't disabled but can be very inaccurate, up to a mile off in some situations.

Nope you are stuck unless you switch to carriers.
    Don't you think that's a bit excessive? I suppose you could switch carriers, but for as many people complain about GPS being "crippled" on Verizon, I really can't imagine that being the difference in switching and not switching. But, by all means, if you'd rather have GPS for free rather than good coverage and customer service, switch to at&t.
    Last edited by jta1188; 06-18-08 at 07:35 PM.
    06-18-08 07:33 PM
    verizon sucks..for this.. I cant accept any company taking away a feature I paid for just so that they can make a profit. This is absolutely crazy. Its like me buying a Car with say XM radio and then the dealer disabling it so that I have to buy their service to use what I PAID for. I dont understand how some of the people on verizon can defend that. Now every carrier have their fault and I am not saying switch because of this one thing. I have been very frustrated with my carrier many times and thought about switching. What I am saying is that I cant believe why many more verizon customers are not outraged for being ripped off.
    06-18-08 08:21 PM
    I've noticed the same with my phone. I've traveled out of state and it shows my location on google maps, but I agree with jt1188 that it is using cell tower triangulation because it is rather inaccurate (about 1700m within my location). I tried using it for getting to a location.... bad move. I was missing turns left and right....

I'd rather get a GPS puck if I really wanted this feature. It would pay for itself fairly quickly. Better than paying vzw 10$/month or whatever for however long you have vznavigator.
    06-18-08 08:57 PM
    verizon sucks..for this.. I cant accept any company taking away a feature I paid for just so that they can make a profit. This is absolutely crazy. Its like me buying a Car with say XM radio and then the dealer disabling it so that I have to buy their service to use what I PAID for. I dont understand how some of the people on verizon can defend that. Now every carrier have their fault and I am not saying switch because of this one thing. I have been very frustrated with my carrier many times and thought about switching. What I am saying is that I cant believe why many more verizon customers are not outraged for being ripped off.
    Funny you mention that. Why does Sprint disable MMS? The 8330 Curve is capable of MMS messaging, but your provider doesn't allow for them. You "paid" for that feature in your phone, but can't use it. So why the double standard??
    06-18-08 10:08 PM
    go to google mobile and download the maps it will give you everything that you need and it works better than the gps in the phone anyway. Good luck
    06-18-08 10:17 PM
    carlokay: the GPS in your phone does not work because Verizon disables it. If you want true GPS performance, you'll have to buy an external GPS, as discussed above. Google Maps in triangulation mode is better than nothing, but cannot compare to the 3-m accuracy possible with true GPS.
    06-18-08 10:21 PM
    I'd rather give somebody at the Crackberry store $90 and use Google Maps than to give VZW $10 per month. I only wish I could change carriers. In my area, ATT's coverage is second only to VZW, but it's a dismal second. I need a phone that connects. Stuck, I am. For now.
    06-18-08 10:26 PM
    It's absurd that Verizon users are forced to pay a monthly fee for a (locked) integrated feature. Seems like getting that keychain is ultimately cheaper and ridiculous at the same time.
    06-20-08 10:40 AM
    I must point out that if you visit Verizon Wireless online, none of the available literature says that GPS is free. You will note that all references are to VZNavigator capability, not GPS. To all the folks who are upset, didn't you think it was odd that Verizon never advertised the Curve's GPS capabilities but did advertise VZNavigator as an optional feature?

I have a wonderful navigation system in my Prius. For those instances where it cannot find something, I go to google maps and input my position (30 second process) and input my destination and then just follow the directions -- it's not that difficult. I would never rely on my Curve as a primary GPS navigation system -- the screen is too small, the volume too low.

Everyone who is upset should contact Verizon and tell them that they will switch carriers. Only when a corporate policy hurts the bottom line will it be reviewed.
    06-20-08 11:23 AM
    I only want it for its ability to read out lat/long coordinates. Don't need it for navigation, and I don't want a device to talk to me with 'turn-by-turn' instructions.

Even worse, VZNav won't even give you that data until it downloads a map. No cell service, no GPS coordinates.
    06-20-08 12:01 PM
    ...Everyone who is upset should contact Verizon and tell them that they will switch carriers. Only when a corporate policy hurts the bottom line will it be reviewed.
    The bottom line for me is service area. My employer gave me a choice of a Verizon 8830 or an AT&T Treo. I knew from previous experience that Verizon had service in the Washington, DC, Metro system, and AT&T did not. That pretty much settled it for me. I wish the internal GPS worked, but the phone working is far more important, and Verizon knows it.
    06-20-08 12:13 PM
    Don't you think that's a bit excessive? I suppose you could switch carriers, but for as many people complain about GPS being "crippled" on Verizon, I really can't imagine that being the difference in switching and not switching. But, by all means, if you'd rather have GPS for free rather than good coverage and customer service, switch to at&t.
    I agree with you jta1188, I must say, I used to be with Verizon, and their coverage: excellent, CS:excellent. However, they seem to be on the money grubbing side, which is what teed me off and propelled me to AT&T. The only thing I disagree with you on is the coverage, it's not better than VZW, but it is very close, and way better than Sprint to catch a signal!
    06-20-08 12:34 PM
    Funny you mention that. Why does Sprint disable MMS? The 8330 Curve is capable of MMS messaging, but your provider doesn't allow for them. You "paid" for that feature in your phone, but can't use it. So why the double standard??
    LMAO! Glad you pointed that one out!
    06-20-08 12:39 PM
    Well if you guys have not guessed yet, I used to be with VZW, and I owned two phones with them. The first LG phone I had, said GPS on it, however that was just for someone to locate where I was (like maybe the FEDS!), second phone was the very first enV, it too had GPS on it, but still it was not really a GPS unit, it had VZNavigator on it which I only used during the free trial. Sonny is right, who needs a phone with an actual GPS when your car has one, for free (of course the feature is extra, but using it is free)! So when you think about it, almost all VZW phones has VZNavigator, even the Star Trek looking Juke has it.
    06-20-08 01:38 PM
    The biggest travesty is that even if you cough up $10 for VZ Navigator, you STILL don't have any access to the GPS for the tons of other awesome applications that use the GPS chip.

I can't wait to see the day that is coming soon when other coverage is just as good and RFID comes to the subway. There should be a huge F U party to VerizonWireless and hopefully someone will get a list of todays executives and burn images of Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile on their front lawns.
    06-20-08 08:39 PM
    FYI the 8330 in the VZW store.... shows GPS not AGPS on the info placard along with other features.......

they don't say free or cost, but saying GPS is not right....
    06-20-08 09:31 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD