Well, I consider my self a tech savvy guy, but must admit a short coming in many of the topics on here. I currently have a generic, boring cell phone through verizon. I was looking into upgrading to a blackberry. My wife is looking at the pearl and I am looking into the curve. My question is regarding the way Verizon sets up their plans...

I was told by the Verizon rep I spoke with that there are two levels of data plans. A personal and a corporate. If I am connecting to an exchange server then I must pay the extra $20/month for a corporate data plan. My question to y'all geniuses here is if I can get the personal data plan and still connect to my work email and sync with my outlook profile at work.

At work we use a SBS 2003. I can access the network via VPN as well as an ip to access on online email. I thought about a pop email to route it, but that could just get messy in the end. Any suggestions?? I really don't want to pay an extra $240/yr just because of the type of email I am connecting to.

Help please!
    07-04-08 11:11 AM
    If you have outlook web access to get your email - and the company allows it, you can get the $29.99 data plan and configure the email to the Blackberry Internet service - BIS. The $44.99 plan add corperate provisioning and is only needed if you company is running a Blackberry enterprise server - BES. As for the wife, if she just has personal email then she can use the BIS as well.
    07-04-08 12:00 PM
    I have outlook web access and have my work e-mail forwarded to my 8330 but I can't reply to the e-mails. I basically send them back to myself if I try. Is there a way around this or do I have to go BES? Thanks.
    07-04-08 02:29 PM
    how are you forwarding the email? With outlook web access (OWA), you should be able to configure it right to the Blackberry Internet service. Keep in mind if your company has security that prohibits it, then it is difficult. If your company has a BES, then you can request that you be added to it thru your IT Dept
    07-04-08 02:40 PM
    Not to hijack this thread, but is there a difference in the amount of alloted data useage on the $29 plan versus the $44 plan? Verizon could not give me a straight answer and REALLY seemed to be pushing the $44 plan even though my phone is just for personal use...
    07-04-08 03:48 PM
    No differnece in the amount of data. All you need is $29.99 plan for personal use.
    07-04-08 03:52 PM
    Thanks guys. We are heading out this afternoon to join the blackberry club! See you on the other side.
    07-05-08 11:09 AM
    Welcome aboard! Glad to help and we are all here for ya!
    07-05-08 11:14 AM
    Not to hijack this thread, but is there a difference in the amount of alloted data useage on the $29 plan versus the $44 plan? Verizon could not give me a straight answer and REALLY seemed to be pushing the $44 plan even though my phone is just for personal use...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Verizon may cap both unlimited plans at 5MB.
    07-05-08 11:15 AM
    I think you are wrong on this. Verizon has trully unlimited data for $29.99
    07-05-08 11:19 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Verizon may cap both unlimited plans at 5MB.
    VZW BB plans are unlim. The 5 GB plans are for the modems and aircards. The only exception is, if you are using the BB as a modem. Then it falls under the 5GB. Also there is a MB plan for the very occassional user.

To clairify, the deivce only is unlim.
    07-05-08 11:26 AM
    Along the line of this thread, I have a 8330 Curve from Verizon and receive email from VZ on my computer. Is there a way to log on VZ's email site to check my email there; I really don't want it to come straight to the BB. Thanks!
    08-31-08 02:58 PM
    Along the line of this thread, I have a 8330 Curve from Verizon and receive email from VZ on my computer. Is there a way to log on VZ's email site to check my email there; I really don't want it to come straight to the BB. Thanks!
    If you are refering to an email with VZW, This will not happen, as VZW is not an email provider. If you are refering Verison DSL, then you will need to check with them to see what a website might be.

To stop your email from VZ coming to your device, just delete the email source from the BIS.
    08-31-08 03:23 PM
    You're right...I get email through Verizon DSL. The guy at the Verizon store insists I cannot log on to the regular Verizon email site (like I use when away from my computer).

When I try to log on it, it says to 'enable javascript' and that it appears I have my popup blocker on.

I seem to recollect that Verizon sent out an email rather recently with a link to a website where you can check your email with a mobile device. I'll check with VZW DSL next....thanks!

John
    08-31-08 04:16 PM
    If you are checking the site from your device and getting enable java, go into your browser and the hit the menu button and go into browser and general options and enable java check boxes
    08-31-08 04:22 PM
    If you want to check eMail and not have it pushed/delivered to your phone, you can go to mail2web - Pick Up Your Email and check pretty much any eMail from that location. mail2web also has a PDA version that is better w/BB. Sorry, I can't post links so if you use, please manually copy.

08-31-08 06:14 PM
    After a hour and a half on the phone with Verizon, trying to figure out how I can check my Verizon DSL email using my Verizon Blackberry, we got nowhere!

So I downloaded mail2web.com and it works perfectly! Thanks, checkingout!
    09-02-08 06:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD