Hi--I'm going to Aruba in late September and want to use my Blackberry Curve 8330 when I'm down there--I only want to use data (i.e. get my emails from my yahoo, gmail accounts that I've set up with my blackberry). I called verizon and they said it costs 2 cents per 2 KB of data. Is this correct? Do you know if it costs money to just read an email? Any advice on how to limit the costs? Thanks so much.
    08-07-09 09:54 AM
    Lucky you!!!
    I was there in late May when I had my curve and had very sporadic service Text messages would be received or sent but not all the time and they were charged with roaming fees. I even tried to make a call at one point which wouldn't go through either. And I never got any emails at all. It may depend on which plan you have .... I have the nationwide basic.
    08-07-09 10:02 AM
    It really depends on wether or not Aruba has any CDMA service. Your 8330 is NOT a world device and cannot be used to roam on any GSM network. If I were you, I would upgrade to one of the many world phones Verizon has, if you really want/need service in Aruba. Enjoy the beach!
    08-07-09 11:34 AM
    More than likely, since you're going to be roaming internationally, I'd expect to get hit with nice data charges. I'd call up a customer rep to see what roaming agreements verizon has in place down there, if any.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-09 12:11 PM
    Call verizon and have them switch your data plan to the international data plan just for the time you are there and then switch it back when you are home. Myself and my hubby just went to St. Thomas and the other islands there and this is what we did so that we could still use the data without paying a ridiculous amount of money. I have the curve and the hubby has the storm. You should check their international map on their site to see if you would even have service from towers there first.

They will pro-rate your monthly plan so that you can use it there.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by WackBerry; 08-07-09 at 05:57 PM.
    08-07-09 05:55 PM
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had more information about Verizon capabilities in Aruba.

More specifically, I am wondering if my Blackberry Pearl 8130 (not a world phone) will get data. I spoke with Verizon and they said definitely yes - both data and voice work in Aruba even without a world edition phone.

But I was in Aruba last year and I am pretty certain that only voice worked. And most of what I've read in this forum and on other sites says that data does not work.

Has anyone had any recent experience with a Verizon Pearl or Curve in Aruba and was data (email, internet) available?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gary
    12-22-09 04:15 PM
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had more information about Verizon capabilities in Aruba.

More specifically, I am wondering if my Blackberry Pearl 8130 (not a world phone) will get data. I spoke with Verizon and they said definitely yes - both data and voice work in Aruba even without a world edition phone.

But I was in Aruba last year and I am pretty certain that only voice worked. And most of what I've read in this forum and on other sites says that data does not work.

Has anyone had any recent experience with a Verizon Pearl or Curve in Aruba and was data (email, internet) available?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gary
    Well, I just returned from Aruba and figured I would respond to my own question in case anyone needed this information in the future.

I also own a Blackberry 8830 World Edition phone so I switched my service over to that phone for this trip. It was very interesting because this phone can work on both the CDMA (Verizon) and GSM (AT&T) networks. So I could switch between the CDMA and GSM network to see what services worked. Here's what happened:

1. When I landed, I turned on the phone and selected the CDMA network (Verizon). I was able to get voice service but was unable to get any data. None of my emails came through and when I tried to browse the internet it said there was insufficient coverage.

2. I switched to the GSM network and right away was able to get my email and browse the internet.

3. I stayed at the Occidental hotel which is next to the Radisson and Hyatt. I had the same experience there. Voice and Data on the GSM network but only Voice coverage on the CDMA network.

Needless to say, I stayed on the GSM network for most of the trip.

One minor note, when I was in the airport getting ready to go home, I switched back to the CDMA network to make a call. I kept my phone on this network and about a half hour later I noticed one email came through. I then sent a test message to myself that went out but I never received it (until I switched back to the GSM network). So it seems like there may be some CDMA data coverage but it is very very spotty.

Gary
    01-04-10 12:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD