Where do I go to find out when theres an update on my software. Currently I have 4.5.0.77 Is this the latest for Verizon?
    04-12-09 05:54 PM
    Here is the link for VZW blackberry software...

BlackBerry® Software Updates

Yes, v4.5.0.77 is the latest for VZW.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-09 06:02 PM
    Okay, thanks.
    04-12-09 07:02 PM
    On my VZW 8330 I updated to the latest system, 4.5.0.131
    04-12-09 08:42 PM
    Yes but that is not the "official" OS by Verizon, which is what the OP was asking for. Some people or even there work will only allow official OS on devices.
    04-12-09 08:46 PM
    Yes but that is not the "official" OS by Verizon, which is what the OP was asking for. Some people or even there work will only allow official OS on devices.
    Right, I really only want the official updates. I don't want to run into any problems and have something happen to my BlackBerry. I love that little thing to much. I think it's probably the most fun gadget I've ever purchased.
    04-12-09 09:19 PM
    On my VZW 8330 I updated to the latest system, 4.5.0.131
    hope you enjoyed nuking your warranty.
    04-12-09 09:36 PM

Not true. The OS can be upgraded/downgraded as many times as you want and nobody, including your carrier, will ever know.

You may have trouble getting support from the carrier if you're using an OS that they don't officially support. However, most techs will simply ask that you reload the supported OS and call back. Really, though, there is no reason to do this most of the time since you probably found the later OS here and there is MUCH better support here than from your carrier.

Worst case scenario is it's possible that you may have to reload a carrier supported OS if something happens and you have to get a warranty exchange on your device.
    04-12-09 09:44 PM
    I just now backed mine up on my PC harddrive if anything happens.

Heres another question for you guys. I just got this phone yesterday so I'm new to it.. Anyway..

I have a 1 gig micro sd card. I want to upgrade to a bigger one with more gigs. So, if I do this what all will I lose? I won't lose any apps will I? I don't know what all is going onto my SD card. Will I only lose the pictures? In which I can put on the computer and put on the new ones.
    04-12-09 09:49 PM
    Yeah just switch to mass storage on the device and copy everything over from the Mem card then when you get a new one format it in the Berry then copy over pictures, music, etc.

You will not lose anything.
    04-12-09 09:52 PM
    Yeah just switch to mass storage on the device and copy everything over from the Mem card then when you get a new one format it in the Berry then copy over pictures, music, etc.

You will not lose anything.
    Okay, what does mass storage do? When I plugged it up to the computer it asked me if I wanted to turn mass storage on and I selected no. I didn't know what it was and it told me some apps wouldn't work. What exactly happens?
    04-12-09 09:56 PM
    menu> options> Media Card

Mass Storage on

This allows you to access the media card on the device. So it will show up as a drive under my computer. You can then drag and drop files.
    04-12-09 09:59 PM
    menu> options> Media Card

Mass Storage on

This allows you to access the media card on the device. So it will show up as a drive under my computer. You can then drag and drop files.
    Oh okay... So none of my apps save on my card right? So, how many amps can I use with my phone not running out of space?

I also learned to clear out the log to save space. Hold ALT and hit L G LG and the log comes up and I clear it. I wish there was a way to deactivate that so I wouldn't have to clear it all the time.
    04-12-09 10:02 PM
    Not true. The OS can be upgraded/downgraded as many times as you want and nobody, including your carrier, will ever know.

You may have trouble getting support from the carrier if you're using an OS that they don't officially support. However, most techs will simply ask that you reload the supported OS and call back. Really, though, there is no reason to do this most of the time since you probably found the later OS here and there is MUCH better support here than from your carrier.

Worst case scenario is it's possible that you may have to reload a carrier supported OS if something happens and you have to get a warranty exchange on your device.
    Funny you say that. I AM support for my carrier. I also know if you load a non-supported operating system onto a phone than technically the warranty is voided, because you would have just put a user made OS on it. While the OS's in question may be extremely well made, they were not made by RIM or tested by US, so therefore they;re not supported.

Of course you can move it back to an older OS. by then the damage may veryw ell be done. Phones can be scanned for software installations and removals, too, especially smartphones.
    04-12-09 10:03 PM
    Funny you say that. I AM support for my carrier. I also know if you load a non-supported operating system onto a phone than technically the warranty is voided, because you would have just put a user made OS on it. While the OS's in question may be extremely well made, they were not made by RIM or tested by US, so therefore they;re not supported.

Of course you can move it back to an older OS. by then the damage may veryw ell be done. Phones can be scanned for software installations and removals, too, especially smartphones.
    Yeah, it just doesn't sound safe and I bet there is bugs in it. It is probably a few people making it where RIM is a huge company with researchers and testers and programmers making their software to try to make it flawless. Of course there is still problems with theirs even with the man power so I wouldn't trust something a smaller company who didn't create the product made.
    04-12-09 10:12 PM
    Yeah, it just doesn't sound safe and I bet there is bugs in it. It is probably a few people making it where RIM is a huge company with researchers and testers and programmers making their software to try to make it flawless. Of course there is still problems with theirs even with the man power so I wouldn't trust something a smaller company who didn't create the product made.
    The OS IS made by RIM..it was released by Sprint..
    04-12-09 10:30 PM
    Yeah I also enjoy not having speaker blast. Too me that's much more important.

But yeah, I didn't see any indication of any "official" request by the OP, sorry for replying with an "unofficial" response.
    04-12-09 10:34 PM

Funny you say that... we aren't talking about using NON RIM OS - we're talking about using RIM created and supported OS versions that Verizon isn't supporting but that other carriers (Sprint, AT&T, etc) DO support. Hardly "untested".
    04-12-09 10:37 PM
    Can you guys tell me what it means to go to options on messages and hit email reconciliation? Does this clear them out or what? I hit it one time and it did nothing.
    04-12-09 10:40 PM
    The OS IS made by RIM..it was released by Sprint..
    Oh, I thought the other people were saying it was unofficial and not made by RIM. I was thinking it was a third party company producing new software.
    04-12-09 10:41 PM
    Funny you say that... we aren't talking about using NON RIM OS - we're talking about using RIM created and supported OS versions that Verizon isn't supporting but that other carriers (Sprint, AT&T, etc) DO support. Hardly "untested".
    And you still have the fact that if your device has these operating systems on them, we WILL NOT SUPPORT IT. Not only that, but the OS made for an AT&T Berry won't be good enough because it's not made for a CDMA/EVDO Device, it's made for GSM/HSPA or whatever their data service is called. The ones for Sprint ARE for CDMA devices, but again, we won't support it.
    04-12-09 10:46 PM
    Oh, I thought the other people were saying it was unofficial and not made by RIM. I was thinking it was a third party company producing new software.
    Nah Sprint released it earlier this year, tons of non-sprint users (including lots of verizon users) have been using it since then.
    04-12-09 10:48 PM
    you did ask though how to save or transfer your apps, there is a thread on here called how to back up 3rd party apps. i used it and i am greatful for the post!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...cations-53201/
    04-12-09 11:05 PM
    great information!
    04-13-09 05:37 PM
    Thanks for the help. I still am loving the phone. I can barely get away from it. A lot of people I've read were complaining about battery life but mine is lasting forever. I guess I am used to the palm centro and treo in which the battery life is HORRIBLE. So the battery life on this thing actually is well. I started using the holster today. I put it inside my pocket or in the cup holder. I like it because it puts it to sleep and protects the screen and rolling ball. I don't have to push the sleep button or hit the keylock. Nice.
    04-13-09 07:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD