Ok so I have been looking and I havent yet seen a answer that answers my question, so if anyone knows of one just post the link here. But here is the question..
    I have a verizon blackberry 8330 curve, its on os 4.5.. verizon wont really give me a real answer whether my blackberry is supposed to have the gps enabled for blackberry maps or not, but mine works i am just wondering if they charge you for the use of the gps or not? and also someone said they cap ur unlimited mb usage at 5 mb but im already at 14 for the month and havent been capped... Anyone have any input?

Thanks everyone
    03-24-09 11:45 AM
    Verizon unlocked GPS about 2 months ago.
    03-24-09 11:45 AM
    If they have a cap it is more than 5mb.

Gps will work in BB maps and VZ navigator only. It will not work in google maps or anything else. VZ os blocks it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 12:00 PM
    VZ navigator is 9.99 a month BB maps is no charge.

03-24-09 12:02 PM
    awesome guys, appreciate the responses. I finally got ahold of someone at vz that kinda knew what was going on. Found out the bb data packages do not have a cap they are unlimited, and exactly what u said there is no charge for bb maps
    03-24-09 12:06 PM
    Gps unlocked on VZ? My BB is not? 4.5.0.77

03-24-09 12:11 PM
    The Unlimited Data Cap is 5GB, not 5MB, just fyi.

03-24-09 12:25 PM
    I went through this same thing a short time ago. I signed up with VZ Nav and used it for about the first month before I learned that BB Maps was usable without the subscription. I cancelled VZ Nav and use BB Map without any problem. If your BB Maps isn't working and you have OS 4.5, you probably need to change the setting for your GPS from "911 only" to the other setting, I think it's "location" or something along those lines...I don't have my BB with me. But that was all I needed to do to get BB Maps to work. I get good signal and quick locks. I think the BB Maps uses some data to update the maps as you go, and for directions, etc. All other GPS programs ar unable to use the GPS info if you are with Verizon. I've read several different reasons for this, but it seems the aGPS info isn't shared with other programs. I use Google Maps often, and can get a triangulated position with the cell phone signal. Mostly I use it for searches and basic driving directions. I like its interface mauch more than BB Maps. However, if you want a pinpoint location on a map, BB Maps works just fine. I think the only problem I habe with BB Maps is it's local search is weak, and often doesn't find what I am looking for, but Google Maps hasn't done me wrong yet. Hope this helps.
    03-24-09 12:37 PM
    gps works on my goggle maps. I don't use the vz navigator - 8330 curve v4.5.0.77
    03-24-09 02:14 PM
    @Geologist, what is the accuracy of your indicated location in Google Maps?

GPS doesn't work in Google maps on the Verizon Curve 8330.

03-24-09 02:19 PM
    gps works on my goggle maps. I don't use the vz navigator - 8330 curve v4.5.0.77
    It's triangulating your position between cell towers, gps not involved.
    03-24-09 02:33 PM
    Gps unlocked on VZ? My BB is not? 4.5.0.77
    It's unlocked for BBMaps only. And of course, VZNav.
    03-24-09 06:59 PM
    I thought they also unlocked it for Google Maps?
    03-24-09 07:03 PM
    Just checked again but no the location it is showing is cell tower triangulatiin. Not nearly acurate as gps.

03-24-09 07:11 PM
    just to clarify:

the 5GB is for bba connect (plugging your phone into a pc to use it as a modem)

the blackberry BIS plan $29.99 is UNLIMITED.
    03-24-09 07:40 PM
    just to clarify:

the 5GB is for bba connect (plugging your phone into a pc to use it as a modem)

the blackberry BIS plan $29.99 is UNLIMITED.
    You know that's not what it says on Verizon's website, right?
    03-24-09 08:33 PM
    Nope. Not on Verizon. Not yet, anyway.
    03-24-09 08:33 PM
    so we're all on the same page

here is the blackberry plan options...
    Business Voice and Data Plans

read the part specifically about "email solutions (personal and corporate plans) $29.99, unlimited usage...

and broadband access info...
    "Required Equipment With a Mobile Broadband Connect-capable smartphone or BlackBerry device

With Nationwide Email or Unlimited Data Feature added to an eligible calling plan

$30
    With unlimited VZEmail plan or Web and Email for BlackBerry plan or feature
    $59.99
    With any Mobile Broadband Connect-capable handset and qualifying voice calling plan

Monthly Allowance 5 GB (5,120 MB)
    5 GB (5,120 MB)
    5 GB (5,120 MB)

Per MB Rate After
    Allowance $0.25
    $0.25
    $0.25"

i deleted the stuff about the $15.00 plan to avoid confusion, but here is the link to the site, info i found was at the very bottom of the page after the list of capable devices...
    Connect

idk, maybe i'm reading it wrong though.
    03-24-09 11:17 PM
    aGPS (network assisted GPS) has been available for apps to use besides vz navigator and bb maps for awhile, just none of the apps had written code to access that vzw approved, due to security issues. thats the point of blackberries. security. you don't want an app accessing corporate databases, etc. now that google got it together, it works fine.
    03-24-09 11:20 PM
    On this page BlackBerry� Nationwide Email & Messaging scroll down to the box titled "Calling Plan Information".

In that box is this information.

A person engaged in prohibited uses, continuously for one hour, could typically use 100 to 200 MBs, or, if engaged in prohibited uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GBs in a month.

We reserve the right to protect our network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. We reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, and to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone we believe is using an Data Plan or Feature in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. Anyone using more than 5 GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice.
    03-25-09 06:18 AM
    With typical browsing, there is no way you're going to go over 5GB/month....its when you start tethering that you start having problems.

03-25-09 06:37 AM
    Regarding GPS and bb maps:

Does it ONLY work with the latest official Verizon OS (4.5.0.77, I think)? I moved beyond to .131 when it came out, and couldn't connect to any satellites the other day. I can't remember if I've used gps since I updated. Yes, it's set to location on.

03-25-09 07:30 AM
    Patches: " now that google got it together, it works fine."

Only on the storm. Google says themselves that the storm is the ONLY verizon BB to have gps capabilities.

03-25-09 07:34 AM
    On this page BlackBerry� Nationwide Email & Messaging scroll down to the box titled "Calling Plan Information".

In that box is this information.

A person engaged in prohibited uses, continuously for one hour, could typically use 100 to 200 MBs, or, if engaged in prohibited uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GBs in a month.

We reserve the right to protect our network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. We reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, and to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone we believe is using an Data Plan or Feature in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. Anyone using more than 5 GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice.
    That is the TOS for tethering. Not the bb data plan.

03-25-09 10:27 AM
    Patches: " now that google got it together, it works fine."

Only on the storm. Google says themselves that the storm is the ONLY verizon BB to have gps capabilities.

I just read more and I guess you're right. Bummer.

03-25-09 10:28 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD