Hi everyone.

I saw a tech bulliten yesterday for the Verizon 8330, I am not sure if this affects other carriers as it did not say.

Problem: when an MMS is received with certain sound file types (not mentioned), the phone sound stops working. RIM is aware of this problem and will resolve in the OS release.

Temp Fix: Do a battery reset each time this happens.
    06-28-08 07:57 AM
    Been there. Done that. But thanks for the official tech bulletin. When I called VZW about it, their techs were clueless at the time.

BTW, the phone doesn't stop working. It dials and connects. The other end can hear you just fine, but you can hear nothing, not even the other end ringing. Your sound is completely dead. Battery pull, all's well.
    06-28-08 08:31 AM
    Correct sorry if not explained correctly. The bulliten just came out yesterday, this is why they may have clueless.
    06-28-08 08:35 AM
    I have encountered this problem 3 times but have never received a MMS on my Blackberry Curve. Pulled the battery and all is fine.
    06-29-08 07:50 AM
    Thanks for the update Sly.

This was per the tech bulliten. One way calling can also occur if there is corrupt feature on your account or There is an issue on the network. If this proplem persists for you, call the VZW and they can tech and then escalate to the network group for review. I have had this happen myself and I just usually call again and it works.

This also can happen if there is too much traffic on a tower or you are not hitting the tower cleanly.

Good luck
    06-29-08 08:10 AM
    I had been having the problem where I couldn't hear anyone when they called and I finally got sick of it so I called Verizon. They told me the known issue of MMS with audio. The tech I spoke with was completely unempathetic and pretty much said there's nothing I can do other than tell people not to send me MMS messages with audio and when they do pull the battery. He said that there's an OS update that should fix it but has no idea when that will be. Anyone heard any rumors on when that might be?
    07-12-08 07:49 AM
    unempathetic is not good. VZW Emp should not be this way, people are people though and we all have bad days.

As for the info given, it is true and the OS fix will fix this, At this time there is no info from RIM when the fix will be released.
    07-12-08 07:55 AM
    Was at beach last night, and waiting for friends. I received a funny MMS, and ten minutes later my phone was screwy. I could not hear callers when connected. I did a battery pull, based on other known problems, and issue was resolved. that is gonna suck if that is the case.

big frown on that one.
    thanks for the info though.
    07-12-08 08:10 AM
    I have had this same issue with my curve as well.
    07-12-08 08:18 AM
    This happened to me 2 times last night. I was wondering what was wrong. Good to see it wasn't a hardware problem.
    07-12-08 12:39 PM
    Not at all FW.

Welcome to CB!
    07-12-08 12:41 PM
    Was at beach last night, and waiting for friends. I received a funny MMS, and ten minutes later my phone was screwy. I could not hear callers when connected. I did a battery pull, based on other known problems, and issue was resolved. that is gonna suck if that is the case.

big frown on that one.
    thanks for the info though.
    Yea - it does... had to ask people not to send me anything w/ audio. That kinda blows but I hope RIM gets a fix for it soon. Like tomorrow.
    07-14-08 12:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD