Ok, I'm very frustrated right now. I have a Curve 8310:

In the past month, I've gotten the "App Error 523" message and had to reload the entire &$^%^# OS.

I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't have to LOSE ALL THE DATA on the phone in the process. The Curve sounded the text message tone and when I went to check, BRICK. Whatever that message was, I'll never know. It so happens that I was WAITING for a ^%#$ message this evening as well.

I'm SO angry right now. This is unacceptable for a device people use for business. It's bad enough I have to spend over an hour doing web searches and trying to get this thing up and running again, but what if I happened to be away from my desk when this happened?

And, to add insult to injury, when I do a search I find MANY forum posts from other users having the exact same issue, but when I search RIM's support site NOTHING. They obviously could care less.

If my 7310 had not been stolen, I'd still have a phone that WORKED.
    05-13-08 10:53 PM
    Sorry about your issues. I say...

1. do a backup...
    2. reload an OS, the latest one...
    3. start to slowly install applications that you use / bought (waiting a day or two in between)...
    4. create another backup...
    05-14-08 02:45 AM
    Sorry about your issues. I say...

1. do a backup...
    2. reload an OS, the latest one...
    3. start to slowly install applications that you use / bought (waiting a day or two in between)...
    4. create another backup...
    I'm a bit more calm this morning.

I normally do a daily backup (Mon-Fri) and the only extra app that I currently use is JiveTalk. I used to use Google maps, but the last time I got this error I didn't bother to reinstall it.
    05-14-08 07:57 AM
    It did it again, last night and again just a few minutes ago.

Why doesn't RIM do something about this?!? They OBVIOUSLY don't care whether this thing works or not as long as they have our money.
    05-21-08 05:10 PM
    Did you by any chance upgrade to one of those Beta OS? just asking.
    05-21-08 05:22 PM
    523System process diedA critical Java process has terminated, and the device cannot continue to operate in a normal manner.
    05-21-08 05:34 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/app-error-523-a-37417/

Read this thread. If it helped my BB illiterate lil sister then i am sure it can help you.
    05-21-08 05:34 PM
    This is what RIM say about your error. It is uncommon but not unknown.

523 - System process died: A critical Java process has terminated, and the device cannot continue to operate in a normal manner.

You should do just as naviwilliams suggests you can get the latest OS from here http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...2-194-a-24857/. You will need to delet the file Vendor.xml from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

Delete any other OSs that you have currently installed and install v4.3 of Desktop Manager download Desktop Software v4.3 b25 without Media Manager (English).exe installed. Run the program and connect your phone.

Do a Backup.

At install time make sure that you do not install the Blackberry demo video. It just takes up memory.

For the first few days do not install loads of Apps - just the phone. Take it slow and try to find what is causing the problem. It is most lilely not a RIM problem. Why? Most of us are not having this problem.

It is also possible that you have faulty hardware. I don't think so bt it is always possible.
    05-21-08 05:41 PM
    I've done this four times now, five counting today. It happened again last night, woke up to find "App Error 523" again.

I had no software installed except the BB OS.

I do a backup every morning, but I lost all of my text messages and additional address book entries from yesterday because of this. When this happens, a backup will not work. I'd be a lot calmer if I could AT LEAST make a %#%$@& backup of the brick before having to erase and reinstall.

I'm going to try this again.

My 73XX NEVER had an issue, except for a free app that made it spontaneously reboot at times. It never lost data or self-destructed into a %#@$ brick though. I deleted that app, and not one hiccup. After that I decided not to use 3rd party apps at all as it's very important that I have a working phone. I am so discouraged that I lost that phone and was "upgraded" to this unreliable piece of (you know what.)

I despise this phone and I'm seriously considering canceling the BB service altogether and buying an iPhone. My best friend has had one for almost a year now and has never seen an issue, and he can even install 3rd party apps without the thing self destructing. Reliability is more important to me than the keypad.

*steaming*
    05-22-08 08:18 AM
    If doing the same thing over and over again isn't working, you might want to try another fix...

Have you considered that not everyone has the same problem as you?

If you've followed the linked threads to no prevail, it might just be your phone. Take it to store you bought it at and see if they can fix it for you.
    05-22-08 08:32 AM
    By the way, does the device sound a tone when it dies? I usually get a "text message" tone and when I go to check it, "App Error 523."

What I'm asking... is the tone because it crashed, or is it being triggered by a text message that I'm losing when this happens?
    05-22-08 08:33 AM
    Ok, now Suncom is telling me not to use the latest OS.

"Their" version is 4.2.2.181
    05-22-08 08:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD