Was wondering how to view videos on my phone and also it if matters what OS I have on the phone? I think I need an upgrade but I do not have a USB cable to connect the BB to my PC.

Thanks
    Liz
    06-28-09 10:31 PM
    What OS do you have?

Are you going to the mobile site? m.youtube.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-09 11:42 PM
    What OS do you have?

Are you going to the mobile site? m.youtube.com

When I went to options it says 4.2< I believe that's the one. I konw there is an upgrade, but I do not know how to upgrade the OS.

When I went to m.youtube.com it tells me: THE PROTOCOL SPECIFIED IS NOT SUPPORTED BY THE HANDHELD. PLEASE TRY A DIFFERENT URL.

I've had this phone almost 1� years I have never been able to see a video on it.

Someone said to save all contacts to the sim card FIRST before you upgrade the OS, but that you have to do it one by one. With over 200 contacts that is quite the task.

SO FRUSTRATED... I just wanna see some videos
    06-29-09 12:35 AM
    You need to get a USB cable, that's the first step. I have absolutely no clue what this "someone" was talking about, you can perform a backup of all your contacts, text messages, e-mails, phone settings and 3rd party applications.. but again, you need a USB cable.

Did it not come with one when you bought it?

The answer is yes, you can play youtube videos on the 8310.. but you need to update your OS.
    06-29-09 12:39 AM
    You don't need to save your contacts to your sim card. Do a backup with Desktop Manager, including a 3rd perty backup:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/

This is just "in case", the OS update process shouldn't cause you to lose data, but it happens from time to time.

You have 2 options, a web-based upgrade or a manual upgrade.

The web-based is easy, but takes a long time. The manual process is more technical, but faster. If you can follow directions and are a little bit tech savy, you can go this route.

06-29-09 12:42 AM
    I have no idea if the BB came with one? Don't even know where the box is anymore.

I just checked and the USB cable I use to charge my little Creative Zen Stone Plus fits the blackberry PERFECTLY. Can I use this to connect my BB to my PC?

If yes.... how do I go about saving all my contacts to my Sim card?

then...

How do I upgrade the OS?

This is my 1st Blackberry and my 1st day on this forum, so sorry for all the questions, but I truly appreciate all the help.

Liz
    06-29-09 12:44 AM
    do you have the internet plan also?
    06-29-09 12:52 AM
    Download Blackberry Desktop Software version 4.6 without Media Manager here:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22
    06-29-09 12:52 AM
    I really don't think it matters what cable you use. I have so many of those kinds of USB cables lying around, who knows if I'm even using the "correct" one.

Look at the last post above yours to answer your questions.
    06-29-09 12:53 AM
    Then download and install the software for your BB here:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...E4F82F9F00E7D4

Select the software for your 8310 device.
    06-29-09 12:54 AM
    When you guys are saying to download things, is this directly with the BB or do I do all downloads with my PC with the BB connected with a USB cable to it? I have never connnected my BB to my PC for any reason.

Sorry if that sounds ********, but I am a tad confused. When you say Do a backup with Desktop Manager, including a 3rd perty backup:
    I have no idea what that means, if it means on the BB or on my PC.

I'm probably going to upgrade to the Bold or 8900 curve and would like my contacts on the sim card so when I switch phones.

Yes I have Internet, I pay the $30 with AT&T.

Thanks,
    Liz
    06-29-09 01:01 AM
    Everything is on the computer at this point. You don't have to connect your BB till you have Desktop Manager downloaded and installed.

06-29-09 01:04 AM
    If you have a fast broadband internet connection on your computer and have about 3.5 hours to spare, you can do the web-based upgrade:

BlackBerry - Update your Device Software

Just plug in your BB to the computer and follow the onscreen prompts.
    06-29-09 01:08 AM
    YIKES....
    I live in the Country and have no access to High Speed Internet. I am using DIAL UP... no other option besides Satellite and I refuse to go that route after all the horror stories....

So...
    I am signed on right now with Dial up at 38.6 kbps .... I don't mind leaving something downloading and checking back hours later, but would this be even possible for me with this kind of speed????

Thanks,
    Liz
    06-29-09 01:13 AM
    No, you need broadband. The downloads are big, around 85MB and the web-based upgrade takes amout 3.5 hrs with a fast connection lol.

You're going to have to find a friend or relative with a PC and a broadband internet connection.

06-29-09 01:17 AM
    Well... there goes that idea. The closest person to me who has High Speed that I know lives 7 hours away

If I upgrade to the Bold or 8900 would I need to do all this or do the OS that come with those 2 phones now have the capabilities to view videos without needing to upgrade the OS?

And sorry if this sounds repetative, but... as far as adding contacts to the sim card I can only do that with the Broadband too? Is there no way for me to do it with the phone besides the ONE BY ONE deal?

Thanks so much again... u don't know how much this helps me.
    Liz
    06-29-09 01:22 AM
    The 8900 or Bold would have the OS capable of watching youtube videos already installed.

The only way to save contacts to your sim card is one at a time.

06-29-09 01:25 AM
    Ok... I guess I am back to square one with the sim card thing and I see I have no other option but to upgrade my BB (good excuse now) he he...

Thanks a million .... I truly appreciate all the help and advice.

Have a great night

Liz
    06-29-09 01:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD