Is it possible to be able to use my wifi connection and surf the web on my phone w/ out having an acutal data plan? Or will I be charged for using it either way?
    02-09-08 08:15 PM
    Yes it's possible; just set the connection preferences to wi-fi preferred. However, if you want BB data functions, using only Wi-Fi is a bit like a three-legged dog; it's alive, but what's the point?

Actually, it's reasonably functional with only Wi-Fi, but there are things that were frustrating enough for me to ante up the cash for the data plan. One example is the GMail app; it'll start up, but when you try to log in it will just hang there - I think it's looking for data via the BB servers. Granted, you can set your homepage to m.google.com and get your gmail. Not all OTA installs will work. Google Maps doesn't work.

If all you're looking for is a PDA with cell capabilities, the BB might not be the best thing for you. To over-extend my analogies, it's like slapping a VW Bug engin into a F44 body; it'll run, but again, what's the point?

I've also gone the route of shoehorning a "cell phone data plan" (ATT, $15) into the Curve and making it work reasonably well. To me at least, shelling out the $30/mo is just worth it to have all the functionality; BB messenger, BIS mail, Push mail, Desktop Redirector for Outlook, OTA installs, and all the other goodies that come with the real BlackBerry Experience.

Just my $0.03,
    -Eric

PS. I also went the route of trying to love a Moto Q for the 3G/HSDPA speeds. Didn't work either. Now if the rumors are true about a 3G BB soon, I'm all over it; I'll be first in line.
    02-09-08 08:40 PM
    well its more for my wife. I have full data and email but she opted for just email. So i was just wondering if she could put around the internet just on wifi...
    02-09-08 09:21 PM
    if you just would like to surf the internet, you can do so - make sure to set your browser to the Wi-Fi browser and you should be okay (Options > Advanced Options > Browser > Wi-Fi Browser)
    02-09-08 09:36 PM
    Yeah, it'll work fine so long as you know the limitations.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-09-08 09:40 PM
    I have just e-mail and everything works (blackberry messenger/gmail app/yim) on my 8320, the only thing that will not is maps app and certain downloads but other than that it is wonderful. Wi-Fi gives you all the web you need imo...
    02-10-08 11:06 AM
    I have just e-mail and everything works (blackberry messenger/gmail app/yim) on my 8320, the only thing that will not is maps app and certain downloads but other than that it is wonderful. Wi-Fi gives you all the web you need imo...

The gmail app works over WiFi for you?

And your a Att Rep and have TMo?
    02-10-08 11:46 AM

If BB messenger is working with no data plan..i think you might be getting charged per per use...bc as far as I know BB messenger is a data applicable only...

eR
    02-24-08 03:49 PM
    Sandman, on TMo, you can add the Feature Enabler (at not cost) and get BBMessenger to work.
    02-24-08 03:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD