Hey I was messing around with my wired headset that came with my Curve trying to use it as a microphone on my laptop, and I was wondering if anyone has tried this?

I was able to get the wired headset to work as a microphone by plugging it into Mic input and placing a standard set of headphones into the Headphone input and then speaking into one of the Earbuds of the Curve wired headset. I know this sounds crazy, but it worked for me.
    03-12-09 10:58 PM
    Why not just talk into the mic part of the Curve wired headset? In any case I remember my cousin just using headphones speaking into one ear phone and it worked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-09 06:09 AM
    Any set of headphones plugged into a mic socket will work as a microphone. Some will be better than others, but basically if you think about it, headphones are just a transmitter and if you place them into a mic socket, that's exactly what it will do.
    03-13-09 06:30 AM
    What happened was that you were using thw headphones as a moving coil microphone. This works quite well even though the normal mic input to a PC is configured for a condenser microphone. This means that a small voltage is fed to the mic to power it. Headphones don't require this but will still work as a not too great mic but good enought for speech.

The reason that the headset mic did not work is that the jack for the headset has 4 contacts and the mic is not wired to a point where the PC can connect to it.

PC mics use a 2 pin jack and the hot wire is on the tip and the ground on the sleeve.

The Blackberry also uses some logic in both its headset and the phone to determine which type of headset it has connected and how to use the mute/hangup button.

You are honestly better off using a dedicated PC headset rather than the BlackBerry one on your PC.
    03-13-09 06:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD