A frined of mine is able to use her AT&T BB Pearl as a modem for her computer. Can anyone in assist with how to use AT&T BB Curve as a modem? I've tried and not having success, and quite honestly, getting very frustrated. HELP!!!
    Last edited by emily352; 08-10-07 at 06:23 PM.
    08-10-07 03:36 PM
    That is a paid for feature called teathering. Verizon charge's $15 extra a month for that if you have a voice and data plan. I think ATT charges $30+.
    And you will need software installed to make it work.
    08-13-07 10:49 AM
    I found some intructions to do it on the blackberry website, but if your like me with att we need some code, and i'm not sure how to get it.
    08-13-07 09:34 PM
    Emily this should help you, I was successful at getting my Curve to work as a modem using the steps below. Make sure you follow the directions & type everything in just as you see it. Step 2 Line 6 is very important

Using BB as a Modem

A BlackBerry device (with tethered modem capability) can be used as an external modem to connect a laptop computer to the Internet.

To set up a tethered modem, complete the following tasks:
    1. Install BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.1 or later
    2. Set up the Internet Access Point Name (APN) (one time only)
    3. Configure dial-up networking (one time only)
    4. Connect the BlackBerry device to BlackBerry Desktop Manager
    5. Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking

Step 1

Install BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.1 or later on the laptop or personal computer.
    When you install BlackBerry Desktop Software, the drivers that enable the BlackBerry device to communicate through the USB port and virtual COM port are installed. The Standard Modem, which is used by dial-up networking, is also installed.
    Note: If you are upgrading your BlackBerry Desktop Software from version 4.0 to 4.1, the required Virtual COM Port and Standard Modem might be removed during the upgrade process. If this is the case, re-install the BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 or later and choose the Repair option to re-install these components.

Step 2

Set up Internet APN.
    1. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Phone and Modem Options.
    3. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click the Modems tab.
    4. Select Standard Modem and click Properties.
    5. In the Standard Modem Properties window, Click the Advanced Tab.
    6. In the Extra initialization commands field, type the following: +cgdcont=1,"IP","<your Internet APN>"
    (remove<>when typing in ur APN)
    Example; +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.cingular"
    Note: If you do not know your Internet APN, or if you do not have an Internet APN, contact your service provider.
    7. Click OK.
    8. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click OK.

ATT/Cingular Settings
    APN: wap.cingular
    user name for APN: [email protected]
    Password: CINGULAR1
    This is how I found my settings on my BB Curve - Options>Advanced Options>TCP. The APN will say, for example, wap.cingular

Step 3

To configure dial-up networking, complete the procedure that corresponds with the operating system you are using.
    Windows XP Operating System
    1. Go to Start > Settings > Network Connections.
    2. Double-click New Connection Wizard. The New Connection Wizard opens.
    3. Click Next.
    4. Select the Connect to the Internet option. Click Next.
    5. Select Setup my connection manually. Click Next.
    6. Select Connect using a dial-up modem. Click Next.
    7. If the Select a Device screen appears, select the Modem - Standard Modem check box. Click Next.
    8. In the ISP Name field, type a name for your connection. Click Next.
    9. In the Phone number field, type *99#. Click Next.
    10. Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
    11. Enter the user name and password provided by your service provider. Click Next.
    12. Click Finish.
    13. In the Connect window, click Properties.
    14. In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears beneath the Connect using heading, then click Configure.
    15. In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK.
    16. In the Properties window, click OK.

Windows 2000 Operating System
    2. Double-click Network and Dial-up Connections.
    3. Double-click Make New Connection. The Network Connection Wizard opens.
    4. Click Next.
    5. Choose Dial-up to private network. Click Next.
    6. In the Phone number field, type *99#. Click Next.
    7. Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
    8. Type a name for your connection. Click Finish.
    9. In the Connect window, click Properties.
    10. In the Properties window, verify that Modem � Standard Modem is selected, then click Configure.
    11. In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK.
    12. In the Properties window, click OK.

Step 4

Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer and verify that BlackBerry Desktop Manager displays Connected. The device must be identified by BlackBerry Desktop Manager in order for the modem to establish a connection.
    Important: BlackBerry Desktop Manager must be running for the tethered modem to function.

Step 5
    Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking.
    Note: During this procedure, do not operate the BlackBerry Browser or any third-party applications on the BlackBerry device. An active data session may interfere with the modem connection. Connect the BlackBerry device to the laptop computer.
    1. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    2. Click Start > Settings > Network Connections > <name of your new connection>.
    3. Enter the user name and password provided by your service provider. (this should be saved there already)
    4. Click Dial.

This will solve your problem
    08-29-07 12:32 PM
    Thank you so much MDberry i got it to work, will att try to charge me for using this?
    08-30-07 12:02 AM
    Only if your silly enough to call them when it does NOT work because they have adjusted your APN correctly, eventually if you do not have a tethering plan, the system WILL catch it and kill off the connection. every BB account has a correct APN assigned to it to determine what functionality your device can have, BB has their own specific APN, when the system routes it back to your SIM and IMSI on your device it will boot the connection as you are not an authorized user of the APN your utilizing...while AT&T cannot charge you for it, if you were silly enough to call and complain they would kindly let you know that you were not subscribed to a tethering plan, therefore should not have the functionality to do so, with out subscribing to the plan 2 things will eventually happen..

A) system would have caught you and killed the connection causing you to call at&t and inquire as the wap.cingular APN is needed for BB emails and Browser usage as well as text messages and MMS and system would have removed it.

B) at&t would offer you no assistance with tethering until a tethering plan was purchased for the account.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 08-30-07 at 12:26 AM.
    08-30-07 12:12 AM
    I used those steps and the APN for my carrier and it works !

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-07 09:49 AM
    Solachia, need help with my TSTT curve. I am not sure I have correct APN inputted and question if username and password should be same as one given for tstt blackberry login.

09-10-07 06:11 AM
    Wgflax you don't need a user name and password becos you are not dialing up per se.If you got your configurations right then all you do is dial, leaving user name and password blank.
    The APN is 'Internet'
    Hope you get thru.
    BTW did your bmobile blackberry email get removed? I signed up with TSTT and with the blackout seems my email got wiped. I tried re-adding and it said tht my email chosen was already taken. So I had to make different BB email :-(

09-10-07 08:14 PM
    Emily this should help you, I was successful at getting my Curve to work as a modem using the steps below. Make sure you follow the directions & type everything in just as you see it. Step 2 Line 6 is very important

Using BB as a Modem

This will solve your problem
    MDBerry969 thanks! I just followed your directions and Ive got my CURVE working as a modem for my XPS laptop! As a matter of fact Im using it right now to post this reply! Thx again!
    10-21-07 03:00 PM
    No Problem, just keeping the addiction alive
    10-22-07 08:45 AM
    I used to be able to get my curve working as a modem for my laptop. Lately, I've been getting the "Error 721. The remote computer did not respond." Do you guys think that AT&T cut off my freebie tethering? Please help if possible. Thanks!
    10-25-07 08:09 PM
    Hi!

Newbie here. Does anyone have blackberry 8320 tethering instructions for TMobile?

Thanks so so much!

HH
    10-29-07 09:34 AM
    step 2 line 6 is very hard for me. i have cingular/at&t and i dont know what to put in for this field can some one help
    10-29-07 09:00 PM
    Hi!

Newbie here. Does anyone have blackberry 8320 tethering instructions for TMobile?

Thanks so so much!

HH

anyone? i could u that as well
    10-30-07 02:56 PM
    i have used those settings and its worked for my carrier with the APN set as +cgdcont=1,"IP","blackberry.net" but i am getting limited connectivity can anyone tell me y this is?
    11-19-07 11:08 PM
    Replace Blackberry.net with
    Wap.voicestream.com
    11-19-07 11:16 PM
    Can the curve be used as a modem with an imac? If so, how or please direct me to the right thread/forum. Thanks
    11-22-07 08:22 PM
    I personally have no idea what configuration is used for an imac, since I don't use mac products, but as for tethering the curve

with tmobile

Set up the init string:

2. Double-click Phone and Modem Options.
    3. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click the Modems tab.
    4. Select Standard Modem and click Properties.
    5. In the Standard Modem Properties window, Click the Advanced Tab.
    6. In the Extra initialization commands field, type the following: +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"1,1

set up dial up connection manually using standard modem
    leave username and password blank

dial *99#
    11-25-07 06:27 PM
    Just used the above settings to set up my Tmobile 8320 with my laptop (XP). Works like a champ. Thanks from an ultra newbie.
    12-04-07 02:34 PM
    I got error #692 : hardware failure
    then when I tried again I got Error #619
    error #628
    error #651
    etc

Any help?

what I am confuse it, at the user name and password, what do I use?
    my user name for BIS, or the ATT that I used to log in to ATT wireless website.

Thanks for your help
    12-04-07 11:32 PM
    Optimus, you need to have a BB tethering plan on AT&T, any other method will work for the short term, but as soon as the system catches it, it will kill the connection and for AT&T you have 2 options...set it up as a dial up connection or....download the AT&T communication manager if you set it up as a dial up connection, their is no username and password anymore for the services...if you use the communication manager, just install it, and use the "set up wizard" choose BlackBerry device, it will do the rest....if you need further documentation email me and I will send you all the required information tomorrow from work to follow along with.
    12-04-07 11:38 PM
    Optimus, you need to have a BB tethering plan on AT&T, any other method will work for the short term, but as soon as the system catches it, it will kill the connection and for AT&T you have 2 options...set it up as a dial up connection or....download the AT&T communication manager if you set it up as a dial up connection, their is no username and password anymore for the services...if you use the communication manager, just install it, and use the "set up wizard" choose BlackBerry device, it will do the rest....if you need further documentation email me and I will send you all the required information tomorrow from work to follow along with.

Blaize,
    Does those errors mean AT&T catch me trying to connect using tethering w/o plan and kill the connection?

My 2 options above, Does it mean that I have to subscribe to the tethering plan?

Thanks

ps: I will send you an email for more info,
    12-04-07 11:47 PM
    The errors are kinda "generic" connectivity errors, it could mean that they are busting you and refusing the connection ..or you really are just having a connection issue at this point...and yes to avoid baiscally having the ability..then running the risk of the system catching it, you WILL need to have a tethering plan, this is the only way to ensure it will work 100% of the time any other method is just a shot in the dark and could stop working at any given point.
    12-04-07 11:52 PM
    Can the curve be used as a modem with an imac? If so, how or please direct me to the right thread/forum. Thanks
    Apparently BB tethered modems do not work with Macs . It is an unfolding story though, you can follow it here perishablepress.com/press/2007/06/12/blackberry-curve-as-bluetooth-modem-for-mac

Sorry, I'm new to this forum and can post the link.
    01-09-08 02:20 PM
105 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD